Nintendo's First Season Pass for a title (Mario Golf 3DS)

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by chavosaur, Apr 25, 2014.

1. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Now I know what everyone's thinking here. "Chavo how the hell is this news? Why is it so important that Nintendo is releasing a season pass."
    Well Ill tell you friends. This is Nintendo's very first step into the world of Season passes, and a further step into DLC, which is a system Nintendo has never really done much with before.
    Nintendo is Notorious for being, well a huge step backward with the times. But theyre slowly getting into the world of DLC and Season Passes and such with their most recent title, Mario Golf World Tour.

Now to why this really qualifies as some news. This is Nintendo's first time offering a season pass for a slew of DLC for a title. They've had minor DLC for their titles before, like the Coin Rush packs in NSMB2, or the extra content in Fire Emblem Awakening. But now they're broadening their horizons a lot more.

Sure it seems way overpriced and not at all worth it. But it begs the question, Will we now be sing pot game content For Nintendo's even bigger titles releasing later this year, Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros??
    What we see here is DLC available for:
    Courses
    Characters
    and possible mini trials.

So what does this mean for the future? Can we expect to hear news of a Mario Kart 8 Season Pass down the line? Perhaps DLC packs of characters or stages for smash bros? It may not seem like much to go off of, but what we're seeing here is Nintendo really pushing for a bigger focus on post game content. And if it goes well, we may see it go a LOT further.

EDIT: Sauce:http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/22/5639602/mario-golf-world-tour-dlc-season-pass

EZ-Megaman likes this.

2. BrightNeko

BrightNeko Popcorn ball

Dec 11, 2010
    United States
    Texas
    Kinda cool way to go about it, shouldn't be called a season pass though. More like a bundle version of all the courses.

-edit-
    The back lash on this is amazing, these courses were probably made in the 3-4 weeks it is taking to get the game, rated, produced, and whatever else needs doing before they ship the game. :wtf:

3. Nightwish

Nightwish GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2013
    Portugal
    Even Nintendo isn't free from this crap. Fucking hell.

4. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    Let's hope their future endeavors in the realm of DLC are always this sensible.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

5. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    the end is nigh

Count Duckula likes this.
  6. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    torn between "yay Ninty's catching up" and "Ugh more $ I'll end up spending"

7. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I really hate the idea of season passes... Feels like it forces some DLC out. It's like you'd had to pay for the weekly puzzles in layton games :/

Nightwish likes this.
  8. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

Season Passes are honestly pretty awful and shady all around. I hate that Sony and Microsoft push them with their own games, and it's pretty disappointing to see Nintendo go down the same path. I hope people will be keen enough not to throw their money away here, but I'm not too optimistic.

Dr Eggman and Nightwish like this.
  9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    ninty moving into the dark realm o PAID dlc and micro transactions. that's it...gaming is DEAD!

Nightwish likes this.
  10. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    I don't mind. If it looks good, I'll buy it.

11. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    The DLC is like the size of 50% of the game though, the game is cheaper than the average retail cartridge, and together with the DLC it's only $5 more than the usual retail game. If you don't want to buy it, don't. You still have the complete game. Some people want MORE and this is an option for that.

$29.99 + $14.99 = $44.98

What's the problem???

chavosaur likes this.
  12. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Okay...I'm not much of a golfer (real or in game), so riddle me this:

Is 126 different tracks of golf in any way a small number?

Because to me, it doesn't sound like it at all. Of course this sort of depends on variation (if half those tracks are mirrored ones, for example), but I certainly know games with less levels. So my prime fear of the game being less content in order to beef up DLC doesn't really act up.

The season pass also seem like a lot of content. In fact: perhaps TOO MUCH content. It will put the total on 232 different tracks. On a freakin' golf game. Rather than complaining that nintendo puts a discount on a bundle (Oh no! how DARE they???) I'd see what it actually offers. And for what you get at what price, I don't think anyone is in the position to complain.

chavosaur likes this.
  13. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    I want a new Golden Sun

EZ-Megaman, Sakitoshi and weavile001 like this.
  14. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    The only thing that bothers me about this is the fact that they have a schedule already for this DLC that only extends for about one month past release with the first pack releasing literally the same day. I'm pretty sure we collectively agreed in the past that day one DLC like this is bullshit and should just be included with the game to begin with. Look at this logically and realize that Nintendo would be taking this step eventually, but also consider the fact that this is a very poor implementation of the idea. The season pass isn't a deal. You are simply paying extra for content that Nintendo decided to omit from the initial release likely for no reason but to test this type of development and sale.

Edit: In fairness to Nintendo, I do have to acknowledge the approximately $10 less price tag on this game when compared to other first party title prices making the $15 DLC essentially equal out the price for other first party titles. Presumably, this was also part of this test run, keeping the price around the same place just to see if the season pass was an idea worth pursuing for them.

Realistically, they would be far better off sticking to individual DLC for each game right now, not worrying about packs and dedicated DLC release schedules when they barely have any experience at all with it. A season pass is a big step that shows dedication to one game for an extended period of time, and the way Nintendo develops doesn't seem to allow much for prolonged periods of time being spent on individual titles post-release. Considering they almost exclusively support both the 3DS and the Wii U, I have a hard time believing that their studios have time to consider season pass DLC while just trying to push games out the door fast enough to keep the dead times between releases shorter.

All that aside, their entire online system really blows, and I don't like the idea of even more paid content being tied to something like an NNID which is still tied to the system rather than actually utilizing an online based account system. Maybe they should consider getting their general service into the now before using newer DLC ideas like the season pass.

Nightwish likes this.
  15. Count Duckula

Count Duckula .

Aug 17, 2008
    Couldn't agree more. Although even if their online service didn't suck, DLC in mariokart 8 would be a dealbreaker for me.

16. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    The only DLC I've ever bought was Telltale's Walking Dead episodic collection but other than this, I can't remember. I did "purchase" XBLA games although they were with MSP I had acquired for free (Bing Rewards).

Not interested in Season Passes regardless if it's Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft games. Include it all in the disc/card and that's it for me.

Nightwish likes this.
  17. Sychophantom

Sychophantom I'm a plant.

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    Born on the Bayou
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around this:

As for the season pass, meh. It was inevitable that of all the things Nintendo does correct with their online attempts, it would be something universally despised.

18. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    Season Pass makes it sound like these packs are only temporary. Like it only works for 30 days or something.

I don't like that.

19. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    Nothing to worry about, it's yours forever if you buy it. It's like buying a season pass for a baseball team, you pay one price at the beginning, and then you can go to all of the games in the season for that team. (you are given all of the promised DLC when they come out). It's a slight discount compared to buying them individually.

20. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    maybe if it was a new course every week over 3 months?

how hard could it be to make a new golf course? its not exactly rocket science.

oh well, not a mario golf fan anyways