Hacking Nintendont

BEEKAY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Being digital prevents degradation of signal, but that does not mean the original picture is of higher quality. What's going on behind the scenes in the hardware is also an important determining factor in the quality of the picture you'll get.

The Gamecube had a digital A/V out port that the component cable plugged into; the cable had an embedded ASIC that converted the digital signal into an analog YPbPr signal. The Wii, on the other hand, did not have the same hardware resulting in a lesser quality component output. So how the Wii U hardware works to create the image and send it to the HDMI port would be critical in knowing if it actually gives you a better picture than the Gamecube's component cables. Or, of course, if we had somebody actually test with real gamecube component cables and Wii U over HDMI, we could just use the eye test.
This is what I need to know. I assume there's a couple people on this forum that have the Gamecube component cables, and it'd be nice if they could do a comparison.

zombieman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To all those people who get the read error when using the cache.txt, the problem is that your device takes too long to load the files so the read times out and you get that error.
To all those people who get the read error when using the cache.txt, the problem is that your device takes too long to load the files so the read times out and you get that error.

Is there a way to fix it?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm Sonic Mega Collection works now because of the ipl.bin, that's why it froze loading the save file because there was no font. The Genesis games (like Gems Collection) are mute though.

Going into the Z button menu freezes the currently loaded game but lets you quit nonetheless.

Those IPL files, so that's why the game crashed after the title screen....

crediar

Possiblenator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well the list I made for smash bros caches about 22MB and if I got that right it has a read timeout of 40s that means if your device is slower than about 560KB/s it will timeout.

The code could be changed to handle any slowness but it might be a better idea to get some better hardware ... (or check if it is formatted with highest cluster size possible).

MaxP90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
crediar's cache.txt works for me (PAL wii, NTSC 1.02 melee)
Also Sonic Adventure DX now boots but freezes while formatting memory card
EDIT: if I manually create one it gets loaded and then freezes after a couple of seconds at the menu, I can enter the game before it freezes tho, and it seems to be working, except for some weird controls problem where a button press is counted as multiple (example if it's not clear: if I press start one time it enters and exits the pause menu several times)

zombieman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the list I made for smash bros caches about 22MB and if I got that right it has a read timeout of 40s that means if your device is slower than about 560KB/s it will timeout.

The code could be changed to handle any slowness but it might be a better idea to get some better hardware ... (or check if it is formatted with highest cluster size possible).
So it needs to be fat32 with highest cluster size possible which is 64k

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
sonic dx works now on 1.28 ppl who said it freezed probably before the game didnt have the font file on the root for me ntsc U works but frooze during the battle with chaos 0 which is the first battle

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried out the games you guys were saying worked with font_sjis.bin, font_ansi.bin, and ipl.bin on the root of my sd card, but i still get black screens on boot. I was wondering if the files had to be a certain type for the games to boot or can they be any font_sjis.bin, font_ansi.bin, and ipl.bin files?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Just tried out the games you guys were saying worked with font_sjis.bin, font_ansi.bin, and ipl.bin on the root of my sd card, but i still get black screens on boot. I was wondering if the files had to be a certain type for the games to boot or can they be any font_sjis.bin, font_ansi.bin, and ipl.bin files?
im using that dolphin download afew pages back on the root of my usb device font_ansi.bin i didnt even rename it

zombieman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
crediar's cache.txt works for me (PAL wii, NTSC 1.02 melee)
Also Sonic Adventure DX now boots but freezes while formatting memory card
EDIT: if I manually create one it gets loaded and then freezes after a couple of seconds at the menu, I can enter the game before it freezes tho, and it seems to be working, except for some weird controls problem where a button press is counted as multiple (example if it's not clear: if I press start one time it enters and exits the pause menu several times)
What type of device are you using, I'm using 32gb sdhc class 4 sandisk and what format, sorry for the questions I just want to try out file caching for myself

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't understand what file caching is and how to use it.
Can you explain?

The Wii has more RAM than the Gamecube does. Rather than keeping game files on the external device, Nintendon't will load certain files that would be on the USB/SD into RAM so the game can access them straight away. This cuts down on load times, but the list of files to cache must be defined beforehand.

zombieman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using a WD My Passport 320 GB, formatted as fat32 with 32k cluster size
thanks, my sd card was formatted to fat32 with 32k cluster size but it didn't work with file caching but i reformatted it with 64k cluster size and i finally got it working
and i really like file caching now lol

so; cache.txt is not loading. i said
I got file caching to finally work i just had to format my sd card to fat32 with 64k clustersize

Edit: fat with 64k cluster size with sdcard under 4gb and fat32 with 64k cluster size with sd cards above 4gb

MaxP90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The recently added file caching made me wonder if it would be possible to use the wii's spare power to implement a post-processing anti-aliasing like smaa. Anyone?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country

cheatman3005

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see how cache works with games and such, but I like to know if cutscenes in gameplay is effected with this caching. Each time I play Terminator 3 Redemption. The video is moving a lot faster then normal. IDK if NFS Most Wanted has this same effect problem. I may have to take a look after work, if there is any need to look at it. The game does have cutscenes, just like T3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    +1
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Economy was better under Trump, according to Fox News.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I don't give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if your shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +3
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    A Far Right news service company
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if our shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +2
    @Veho, didn't need any news. Just going to the store and buying groceries is a constant reminder.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    A reminder that all corporations reported record profits these last few years?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Reminded that every single price gouging law was blocked by republicans because "muh gubmint overreach"?
    Veho @ Veho: Reminded that every single price gouging law was blocked by republicans because "muh gubmint...