Hacking Nintendont

CoinKillerL

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
for the past 8 months I was brute-forcing the mario kart gp2 des key with my gpu letting it go from time to time after the feature was added to hashcat, today it finally finished so I was able to play around with the existing encrypted dumps a little. the first thing I noticed is that they are actually incomplete (about 95% of data is present) but after copying most missing pieces over from the existing us version I was able to get it to boot and it turns out its the japanese version of gp2! :D

Hello,fix94,is possible to make a video patch to make PAL bios work on vWii?
Oh,and this is really cool!

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MAME recently added very preliminary support for GameCube. (Don't expect to play anything with it yet.) What's more interesting is its IPL definitions: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blo...9aa60aa8ed/src/mame/drivers/gamecube.cpp#L148

I checked my copies of the IPL, and all three (USA, JPN, PAL) match the known *bad* versions:
Code:
/*	There are a lot of bad dumps of the gamecube IPLs floating around.
	The following IPL dumps are known bad, with RAM/MAC address garbage in the last 0x8000 bytes:
	ROM_LOAD("ipl_bad_ntsc_v10.bin",  0x000000, 0x200000, CRC(6d740ae7) SHA1(015808f637a984acde6a06efa7546e278293c6ee))
	ROM_LOAD("ipl_bad2_ntsc_v10.bin", 0x000000, 0x200000, CRC(8bdabbd4) SHA1(f1b0ef434cd74fd8fe23698e2fc911d945b45bf1))
	ROM_LOAD("ipl_bad_pal_v10.bin",   0x000000, 0x200000, CRC(dd8cab7c) SHA1(6f305c37dc1fbe332883bb8153eee26d3d325629))
	The following rom is flat out unknown and unseen in the wild, except for its checksums:
	ROM_LOAD("ipl_unknown.bin",       0x000000, 0x200000, CRC(d235e3f9) SHA1(96f69a21645de73a5ba61e57951ef303d55788c5))
*/
JPN matches "ipl_bad_ntsc_v10.bin", USA matches "ipl_bad2_ntsc_v10.bin", and PAL matches "ipl_bad_pal_v10.bin". The comments indicate that the only differences are garbage in the last 0x8000 bytes, so I'm wondering if one of the well-known IPL dumping tools gets something mixed up.

Reactions: DarthDub

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
MAME recently added very preliminary support for GameCube. (Don't expect to play anything with it yet.) What's more interesting is its IPL definitions: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blo...9aa60aa8ed/src/mame/drivers/gamecube.cpp#L148

I checked my copies of the IPL, and all three (USA, JPN, PAL) match the known *bad* versions:
Just checked mine, all match the known good versions (ntsc 1.0;1.1;1.2 and pal 1.0;1.2), also really its not hard to read out the IPL so its impressive there are even wrong dumps like that.
https://github.com/FIX94/gc-ipl-dump/blob/master/source/main.c#L50
Thats all you need when using libogc.
Also funny enough the info about MACs and stuff is actually from me as I talked with lord nightmare about in on IRC the other day.

Reactions: DarthDub

smora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have tried Nintendont for the first time but getting stuck at "Initializing IOS58" at the beginning. I tried to install the newest IOS58, and Nintendont a couple of times but still won't work.

I didn't use the Wii for a long time so I have no idea what else could be the problem. I think it is still on 4.1. USBloader still works fine it seems. Anyone know what it could be?

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tried Nintendont for the first time but getting stuck at "Initializing IOS58" at the beginning. I tried to install the newest IOS58, and Nintendont a couple of times but still won't work.

I didn't use the Wii for a long time so I have no idea what else could be the problem. I think it is still on 4.1. USBloader still works fine it seems. Anyone know what it could be?
Have you tried loading Nintendont through the HomeBrew Channel and NOT USB Loader?

smora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
is your homebrew channel ios58 based?

older homebrew channel were not ios58 based.

It seems that is the problem.

With forwarder or USBloader and then homebrew channel (accessed within USBloader), it now works. From normal homebrew channel, it doesn't, still hangs. How can I make it IOS58 based? It's not prompting an update.

Also, in USBloader it detects the GC games, but keeps asking to copy to SD and won't load them. Any way to fix that? That is actually what I want overall.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It seems that is the problem.

With forwarder or USBloader and then homebrew channel (accessed within USBloader), it now works. From normal homebrew channel, it doesn't, still hangs. How can I make it IOS58 based? It's not prompting an update.

Also, in USBloader it detects the GC games, but keeps asking to copy to SD and won't load them. Any way to fix that? That is actually what I want overall.
you just need to install a newer homebrew channel they are all base ios 58 for a long time.

also you need a newer usbloader gx too check cyan signature here on gbatemp.

smora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok now that I updated USBloader that gives me a different error now, when running through homebrew. But via forwarder it still works.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ok now that I updated USBloader that gives me a different error now, when running through homebrew. But via forwarder it still works.
well the fowarder doesnt use homebrew channel to load so that is probably the reason just get a new homebrew launcher installer and install it.

CoinKillerL

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I get a DSI Exception error when i use usb loader gx for loading GCN games with nintendont mode,right when i click stary
I have a 16gb flash drive and updating nintendont fixes the issue for some days,then exception dsi occurred again
Is someting wrong with my cIOS?

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get a DSI Exception error when i use usb loader gx for loading GCN games with nintendont mode,right when i click stary
I have a 16gb flash drive and updating nintendont fixes the issue for some days,then exception dsi occurred again
Is someting wrong with my cIOS?
Have you tried loading Nintendont directly through Homebrew Channel? Nintendont doesn't use a cIOS only stock IOS58

Also are your controllers official Nintendo made or 3rd party/fake? Non official controllers are known to cause DSI Exceptions.

Also try re downloading Nintendont.

Also USB Flash Drives are known to be flakey on the Wii/Wii U so try an SD Card or USB External HDD.

Last edited by ccfman2004,
Reactions: GreyWolf

CoinKillerL

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Have you tried loading Nintendont directly through Homebrew Channel? Nintendont doesn't use a cIOS only stock IOS58

Also are your controllers official Nintendo made or 3rd party/fake? Non official controllers are known to cause DSI Exceptions.

Also try re downloading Nintendont.

Also USB Flash Drives are known to be flakey on the Wii/Wii U so try an SD Card or USB External HDD.
Launching from HBC is perfectly fine,redownloading the boot.dol fixes the issue for several days. I am using a PS2 controller with a CSL adapter.And deconeccting the controller is just useless

Last edited by CoinKillerL,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Launching from HBC is perfectly fine,redownloading the boot.dol fixes the issue for several days. I am using a PS2 controller with a CSL adapter.And deconeccting the controller is just useless
im guessing usbloader sometimes doesnt let the flashdrive initialize fast enough or something since flashdrives are very unreliable on homebrew.

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That's what blew them up +1