Nintendo to shut down online play for all 3DS and Wii U games

sdaadsdas.png

It's the end of an era. Or perhaps the second end to an era. Following on the heels of Nintendo's decision to shut down the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U eShops and delisting all digital games for both platforms, is the announcement that online play for the two systems will also be discontinued. In April 2024, all online functionalities for all 3DS and Wii U titles will no longer work, including SpotPass. The shutdown of online servers for 3DS and Wii U games will happen just about 10 years to the day that Nintendo took down online play for the Nintendo Wii and DS.

In a FAQ regarding the announcement, Nintendo stated that support for Pokemon Bank will continue for now, though the service, "may also end at some point in the future".

In early April 2024, online play and other functionality that uses online communication will end for Nintendo 3DS* and Wii U software. This also includes online co-operative play, internet rankings, and data distribution.

You can find more information about badges for decorating the Nintendo 3DS HOME Menu using Nintendo Badge Arcade here.

We will announce a specific end date and time at a later date.

Please note that if an event occurs that would make it difficult to continue online services for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U software, we may have to discontinue services earlier than planned.

We sincerely thank players for using the online services of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U software over a long period of time and apologize for any inconvenience.

* This includes software exclusive to New Nintendo 3DS.

:arrow: Source

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exchange messages? I wish I played Pokmeon X and Y... I've heard that people still play that game to this day. I wish that I can find a game on PC that I can find people like that.
you can do that through the citra emulator for 3DS.

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Exchange messages? I wish I played Pokmeon X and Y... I've heard that people still play that game to this day. I wish that I can find a game on PC that I can find people like that.
Isn't it called Pokemon online??

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
I hope the WiiU's browser will still work. Im slowly moving my game collection to the emulator so i need it to work for now.
Its only about 200gb i think. Should only take a few weeks but i only do it when i remember.

Will the WiiU still work fully offline? It doesnt call home at all like the PS Vita and need confirmation the game is still valid and able to play?

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
honestly, I feel that they're doing it a bit too fast. They didn't do this to the WII. (by how fast they cancelled it)
i think it took the wii 7 years due to them being them using gamespy sever's or something like that.

the 3DS/Wii is 13 year's it's almost doubled.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Will the WiiU still work fully offline?

I'm sure that you're able to do that. It's just the online features that won't work anymore.
Post automatically merged:

he 3DS/Wii is 13 year's it's almost doubled.

I can't believe it's already been 13 years since the release of them two... But I want to know how Sony can keep those systems up but NIntendo (and IIRC Xbox?) can't. Someone in a Discord server gave me a video to watch on how they have a whole entire different story as to why they're so overprotective of their rights, but I still don't understand how that leads to them cancelling stores like this.

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Pc games that people still play today?
Quake 2.
It just got a re-release its so good and after 20 years its still enjoyable.
Ive been playing it since it first got released. Everytime i get a new PC or update thats 1 of the games i run on it.

On my Steam Deck i have 2 versions of it and play both. The new re-release and the RTX version.

If you got a RTX PC then get Quake RTX and enjoy. It looks so good compared to this lame re-release.
They shouldve added the RTX version to the re-release then you can see how good an old game can look when RTX is added.

Reactions: DragonMals

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
Pc games that people still play today?
Quake 2.
It just got a re-release its so good and after 20 years its still enjoyable.
Ive been playing it since it first got released. Everytime i get a new PC or update thats 1 of the games i run on it.

On my Steam Deck i have 2 versions of it and play both. The new re-release and the RTX version.

If you got a RTX PC then get Quake RTX and enjoy. It looks so good compared to this lame re-release.
They shouldve added the RTX version to the re-release then you can see how good an old game can look when RTX is added.

I don't really play FPSs like Quake though... Last game I remember playing is Maple Story 2, but that game became exclusive to Korean regiosn.

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well i can take some screenshots and show you how RTX can make an old game brand new and make it shine.

The normal version is bland and grey.
With RTX its shiny, reflective and has mirrors.
I got a screenshot when you see me in a mirror and the gun also has me reflecting in it.
The normal version has a orange gun and a grey wall.

Attachments

• download (10).jpeg
    download (10).jpeg
    416.4 KB · Views: 12

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
Well i can take some screenshots and show you how RTX can make an old game brand new and make it shine.

The normal version is bland and grey.
With RTX its shiny, reflective and has mirrors.
I got a screenshot when you see me in a mirror and the gun also has me reflecting in it.
The normal version has a orange gun and a grey wall.
Looks great, but it still won't convince me to play fps games.

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
I am an adult, that's why this morning I'm worried about my shiny Pokemon. Should I migrate them, or keep them forever on 3DS? That's a difficult adult decision.
You got a modded 3ds?
Do a backup, transfer your pokemon then restore your backup. Then you have them on both.

I had a few pokemon i wanted to share around my different systems so i did just that. Backup, transfer, restore, transfer, restore, transfer, restore.
Now i have 5 of each pokemon in the bank.
Very easy and quick duplication system for pokemon that works.
When they close down the bank then itll end so do it before then.
Post automatically merged:

Looks great, but it still won't convince me to play fps games.
Im not trying to convince you if that.
Just saying RTX can bring old games to life and make them enjoyable again.

They should do all remakes with RTX.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn does this mean stuff like wiiU usb helper and UWUVCI will cease to funtion? (the later downloads games as bases for injects) NSUI doesn't need this,also better use bank with a combo of pksm to inject old events I already transfered greninja over (sucks battle bond is a gen 7 exclusive ability,would've loved an ash greninja tera

• Sad
Reactions: Mike_77712

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto