Hardware Nintendo Switch Technical Specifications Discussion

What SoC do you think the Nintendo Switch will use? + Reasons in thread.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I kinda hope they don't use the patent for a VR headset, it would be the ugliest one around at 720p or 1080p. If Nintendo was going to get involved with VR they should've just partnered with HTC or Oculus instead.

Indeed the rumor is Maxwell instead of Pascal, 20nm.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nintendo-switch-gets-tegra-soc-with-maxwell-gpu,3.html
I quoted the actual source a while back. I think that article is more of speculation.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Even the Foxconn leak is more trust worthy.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I quoted the actual source a while back. I think that article is more of speculation.

Even the Foxconn leak is more trust worthy.
Pretty much the same article now that I read them. They both cite two sources, could even be the same sources.

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I kinda hope they don't use the patent for a VR headset, it would be the ugliest one around at 720p or 1080p. If Nintendo was going to get involved with VR they should've just partnered with HTC or Oculus instead.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nintendo-switch-gets-tegra-soc-with-maxwell-gpu,3.html
I agree with the VR part.

However, I absolutely don't believe the Maxwell thing. I mean, it has zero advantages over Pascal. And 20nm is ridiculous for a mobile chip in 2017.

//Sent from my glorious OnePlus X

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A new report came in claiming that the switch is using Maxwell Architecture. This could mean two things: 1) IPC with Maxwell is around 1.1 times of that of Pascal. 2) Most likely 16nm is still being utilized. 16nm Maxwell could end up better than Pascal and still used some advanced technology. Still, it's possible to have a better gpu than Tegra X1.
According to the report this thing is on par with Xbox One.
Edit: The same article also said 20nm. Sorry for the miss information.
Or of course this could be based on the earlier tegra x1 based dev unit.
http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/14/nintendo-switch-specs-less-powerful-than-playstation-4/
Still thinking thats a dev kit not the final console, pascal makes the most sense.

I don't know if I believe that. Have we even ever heard of this guy, Dean Takahashi before this rumor? I doubt this is real. Because that same article literally says "The Switch could still be appealing. You can play a game at home, plugging it into the base (which has no extra processing power in it; it’s simply a power supply and a way to connect the console to the TV).". But, on the Jimmy Fallon Show when Reggie had the Nintendo Switch in the dock, you can hear a fan coming from the dock which a lot of people supposedly thinks is making the Switch going into overclocked mode reaching it's full potential. When Reggie takes out the Nintendo Switch from the dock, you don't hear that fan from the dock anymore. So, to me that simply disproves this rumor.
Nope the dock doesnt have a fan, the dock just allows the fan in the console to actually work.

I just need to know about the possibility of various joycon controls.

Or if the joycons triggers are like gc triggers
Definitely going to happen just watch the jimmy fallon video, the joysticks on the grip are different to the ones on the actual console

The VR headset will probably have a bit of tech that means it has a dedicated display that the switch uses for VR

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope the dock doesnt have a fan, the dock just allows the fan in the console to actually work.
The annotations on the patent suggest otherwise, actually, unless I misread it
The VR headset will probably have a bit of tech that means it has a dedicated display that the switch uses for VR
That wouldn't make much sense, considering the tablet already has a display integrated. It would make more sense to just give the tablet a high-resolution display that outspeccs the hardware inside

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

That wouldn't make much sense, considering the tablet already has a display integrated. It would make more sense to just give the tablet a high-resolution display that outspeccs the hardware inside
The board patent with the dock(figure 32) does not say anything about a fan in there, which matches the Foxconn Leak. Figure 30 on the other hand said the fan is in the tablet. What's really interesting is the processing section. Is it a controller or a full on post processing unit? Why bother with usb if cartridges are used?

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

No it would as if youve used dream vr with low res (720p-1080p) phones you'd know you can see the pixels this would be negated with one dedicated display.

also @Yil if you want to add any new info to the main post you can do that now seeing as how i dont have the time anymore.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it would as if youve used dream vr with low res (720p-1080p) phones you'd know you can see the pixels this would be negated with one dedicated display.

also @Yil if you want to add any new info to the main post you can do that now seeing as how i dont have the time anymore.
I've used Google Cardboard on a 480p display, I know how much of a pain being able to see pixels is. Again, though, that would be solved by using a very high resolution display

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It might not be perfect, but it's "good enough." The bigger factor for VR is the framerate
Its not gonne gain a following if it isnt perfect, just look at the PSVR display resolution thats what it needs to be for good VR

Actually it's rumored to be 720p...

//Sent from my glorious OnePlus X
Im talking about the fozconn rumours

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it is Maxwell either. This is Nvidia chance to show off. Not that I trust the source at all.
Well the switch display is rumoured 1080p which isnt high enough for high quality VR
You are assuming that this is "high quality" VR and not Google Cardboard. If they do it at all, that is. Also, that guy was eyeballing the screen, that person doesn't know what it is.

TheDarkGreninja

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
? The PSVR uses a single 1920x1080 screen
Oops i mean HTC vive, have no clue how i got them confused.

I don't think it is Maxwell either. This is Nvidia chance to show off. Not that I trust the source at all.

You are assuming that this is "high quality" VR and not Google Cardboard. If they do it at all, that is. Also, that guy was eyeballing the screen, that person doesn't know what it is.

There wouldnt be much point in nintendo in giving half-assed vr when the competitors do it so much better.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I will agree that the HTC Vive is the "Gold Standard" for VR. However, the Switch could get away with "good enough" VR as long it is affordable, because a) it is something that would work with a console you already own without having to sell a limb (not even PSVR can claim this), b) it's cheap, and c) through connections it could potentially be used as a 3rd party headset for other devices

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

There wouldnt be much point in nintendo in giving half-assed vr when the competitors do it so much better.
But HTC vive is one 90Hz, while PSVR is 120Hz. PSVR might possibly be better for many things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk