Nintendo Switch Reveal

NintendoSwitch_hardware.0.0.jpg
Nintendo has finally decided to show off their new "home gaming system", code-name NX. It's time to see what Nintendo has up their sleeves and put all the rumors to rest.
GBAtemp will covering the announcement and the OP will be updated as new information rolls in from the preview. Remember, the video starts at 9AM Central Standard Time, so be sure to watch, and discuss your thoughts here!

:arrow: Nintendo Official Site
Trailer

It's called the Nintendo Switch. Rumors are true, it's a tablet with connectable buttons that you can play at home and on the go. Console Controller looks similar to the Xbox One's. Has small little remotes and supports multiplayer. NBA game being shown. 3D Mario title. When you connect the portable controllers the system goes from console to portable. Skyrim and Splatoon shown. Still coming March next year.

Press Release
Detachable Controllers Reinvent Gaming

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- In an introductory video released today, Nintendo provided the first glimpse of its new home gaming system and revealed that it is called Nintendo Switch. In addition to providing single and multiplayer thrills at home, the Nintendo Switch system also enables gamers to play the same title wherever, whenever and with whomever they choose. The mobility of a handheld is now added to the power of a home gaming system to enable unprecedented new video game play styles.

At home, Nintendo Switch rests in the Nintendo Switch Dock that connects the system to the TV and lets you play with family and friends in the comfort of your living room. By simply lifting Nintendo Switch from the dock, the system will instantly transition to portable mode, and the same great gaming experience that was being enjoyed at home now travels with you. The portability of Nintendo Switch is enhanced by its bright high-definition display. It brings the full home gaming system experience with you to the park, on an airplane, in a car, or to a friend’s apartment.

Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of Nintendo Switch. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

“Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO, Nintendo of America. “It gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries.”

Developers can design their games supporting a variety of play styles, which gives gamers the freedom to choose an experience that best suits them. Some of the publishers, developers and middleware partners announcing support for Nintendo Switch are as follows:

Companies that will support the Switch
505 Games
• LEVEL-5 Inc.
• Activision Publishing, Inc.
• Marvelous Inc.
• ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co., Ltd.
• Maximum Games, LLC
• ATLUS CO., LTD.
• Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
• Audiokinetic Inc.
• Parity Bit Inc.
• Autodesk, Inc.
• PlatinumGames Inc.
• BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
• RAD Game Tools, Inc.
• Bethesda
• RecoChoku Co., Ltd.
• CAPCOM CO., LTD.
• SEGA Games Co., Ltd.
• Codemasters®
• Silicon Studio Corporation
• CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.
• Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.
• DeNA Co., Ltd.
• SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
• Electronic Arts
• Starbreeze Studios
• Epic Games Inc.
• Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
• Firelight Technologies
• Telltale Games
• FromSoftware, Inc.
• THQ Nordic
• Frozenbyte
• Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.
• GameTrust
• TT Games
• GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.

• UBISOFT
• Gungho Online Entertainment, Inc.
• Ubitus Inc.
• HAMSTER Corporation
• Unity Technologies, Inc.
• Havok
• Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
• INTI CREATES CO., LTD.
• Web Technology Corp

Screens
ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.18.41).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.19.46).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.20.07).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.20.18).jpg

ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.20.44).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.21.03).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.21.24).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.21.54).jpg

ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.22.08).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.22.24).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.22.36).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.23.16).jpg
It will be powered by a custom Nvidia Tegra chip.
Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards.

:arrow: Nvidia Blog

:arrow: Nintendo Switch Site

aCvN5gD4VMAA0FCh.jpg aCvN5gEIVIAAOcAA.jpg aCvN5gEmUMAAx8nb.jpg aCvN5gEZUAAAzayg.jpg

Nintendo First Look
The detachable controllers are called Joy-Con controllers.

Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of Nintendo Switch. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

“Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO, Nintendo of America. “It gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries.”

Developers can design their games supporting a variety of play styles, which gives gamers the freedom to choose an experience that best suits them. Some of the publishers, developers and middleware partners announcing support for Nintendo Switch are as follows:

:arrow: Nintendo Site

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't even respond to insults like that because they're low-brow and say more about the person who throws them around than about me. Me having a preference says nothing about my intellect, so I see no reason to address it. If someone thinks that me liking one platform over another makes me stupid, they're the stupid one. Besides, both iOS and Android suck in my eyes, we haven't had a good mobile OS around since Windows CE/Windows Mobile (not to be confused with the abortion that is Windows Phone) and, to a lesser extent, Symbian. Just the fact that neither OS comes with a stock file explorer and you have to download additional apps just to use features that are f*cking obvious shows the poor state of the mobile industry in terms of operating systems. Android just coincidentally sucks less, and right now there is no superior alternative available.
Come to think of it, what would a more typical system with modern hardware be like?

tarumbo83

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So yeah I get what you're saying. In fact all new art is inherently old improved and the same goes for gaming. It just seems like Nintendo doesn't really have an appetite for taking creative risks with their games, which for the most part is fine considering other consoles also have their go-to games (e.g. Gears of War 4). That makes them money each time and it helps solidify their brand. However where you can get some of the most creative games is through your third party support. Some of my favorite DS/GBA games were Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center and Advanced Wars, along with a lot of lesser known games like Hotel Dusk. All of which were third party.

With the advent of the 3DS I noticed that the selection of games in general for the Nintendo systems has noticeably fallen. This is probably due to several factors such as the rise in mobile phone gaming and the ability for development groups to get their games out to market with ease on online markets such as Steam. Nintendo's process to get games approved has started to become an achelies heel in their market share. Case in point: Axiom Verge was a Metroidvania game that would've been perfect for an Nintendo system, but due to the tumultuous nature of their red tape, it took entirely too long after their Steam release to finally get it approved. But I digress.

All in all I hope that third party support does truly return to Nintendo the way it once was.
Eh, you're right. My view is massively skewed due to playing a diet of almost exclusively first-party Nintendo games all my life, but I'm gradually starting to get into other stuff too. It's kind of weird, now that I think about it, that Nintendo is so creative with their consoles but isn't as much with their games.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Come to think of it, what would a more typical system with modern hardware be like?
*If* it was supposed to be a similar design, it'd probably just be an x86 tablet to facilitate porting, probably with some low-key Radeon. If the form factor was classic instead... It'd be an x86 console with a slightly less low-key Radeon, like everything else. :P

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So yeah I get what you're saying. In fact all new art is inherently old improved and the same goes for gaming. It just seems like Nintendo doesn't really have an appetite for taking creative risks with their games, which for the most part is fine considering other consoles also have their go-to games (e.g. Gears of War 4). That makes them money each time and it helps solidify their brand. However where you can get some of the most creative games is through your third party support. Some of my favorite DS/GBA games were Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center and Advanced Wars, along with a lot of lesser known games like Hotel Dusk. All of which were third party.

With the advent of the 3DS I noticed that the selection of games in general for the Nintendo systems has noticeably fallen. This is probably due to several factors such as the rise in mobile phone gaming and the ability for development groups to get their games out to market with ease on online markets such as Steam. Nintendo's process to get games approved has started to become an achelies heel in their market share. Case in point: Axiom Verge was a Metroidvania game that would've been perfect for an Nintendo system, but due to the tumultuous nature of their red tape, it took entirely too long after their Steam release to finally get it approved. But I digress.

All in all I hope that third party support does truly return to Nintendo the way it once was.
I think the biggest problem is Nintendo losing some of its spark. Wii u is a great system with potential, but in the end we get Star Fox zero (I also find gamepad control to be perfect and movement/ typical camera to be completely broken.)
Edit: I type 64 for the wii u remake. Shame on me.

Last edited by Yil,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think the biggest problem is Nintendo losing some of its spark. Wii u is a great system with potential, but in the end we get Star Fox zero (I also find gamepad control to be perfect and movement/ typical camera to be completely broken.)
Edit: I type 64 for the wii u remake. Shame on me.
I really don't think it is. The concept is great, the execution is not. As much as we hate to admit it, hardware has to go hand-in-hand with innovative features. You can be unique all you want, but if you can't walk the distance as well, you're not exceptional - you're a weirdo. The Wii U needed to distance itself from the Wii rather than continue the legacy of the GC's PPC roots. The architecture was dead Day 1, unfortunately. With competent hardware under the hood, it would've had the potential to shake things up. There's also a myriad of problems with how Nintendo approaches online, but this isn't a Wii U or Nintendo Network thread, so I won't address that in detail.

tarumbo83

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disagree that Nintendo isn't much creative, just because they are using the same ips. Like a lot of the top games are sequels. It crazy how we can go from Zelda Triforce Heroes to Breath of the Wild.
This. While I did say I agreed with the other guy I still have a hard time finding the games as that uncreative. Nintendo clearly tries different things with their IPs. The problem is actually that they aren't making new IPs, not that the existing IPs are bad. I love Mario, Zelda, etc. but I want to see something new as much as I love each new game from those IPs.

Reactions: Deleted User

abilaunken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This. While I did say I agreed with the other guy I still have a hard time finding the games as that uncreative. Nintendo clearly tries different things with their IPs. The problem is actually that they aren't making new IPs, not that the existing IPs are bad. I love Mario, Zelda, etc. but I want to see something new as much as I love each new game from those IPs.

Your right, i played donkey kong 1,2 and 3 at the snes and i tried play on my girlfriend 3ds but in about 3 hours never played again.
Same happens for batman on ps3, played the first and cant played more of them, battlefield same, even street fighter i cant play more than 30 min, maybe im become old, but if they release something new like banjoo kazzoie on n64.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I disagree that Nintendo isn't much creative, just because they are using the same ips. Like a lot of the top games are sequels. It crazy how we can go from Zelda Triforce Heroes to Breath of the Wild.
Mario 64 is completely different from Mario and potentially one of the most important 3d games; Paper Mario is an rpg that add actions (and then mario and luigi); Mario Galaxy has much better demonstration of more complex bodies of physics than those 'space shooter', and Super Paper Mario is the best entry in my opinion (seriously this game is better than Flatland to me as a good model of planes). And phantom hourglass is one of the best ds game for me.

Reactions: Deleted User

abilaunken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Mario 64 is completely different from Mario and potentially one of the most important 3d games; Paper Mario is an rpg that add actions (and then mario and luigi); Mario Galaxy has much better demonstration of more complex bodies of physics than those 'space shooter', and Super Paper Mario is the best entry in my opinion (seriously this game is better than Flatland to me as a good model of planes). And phantom hourglass is one of the best ds game for me.

I love mario rpg at the snes, tryed the ds and 3ds games, and cant played more than 3^5 hours. Same formula but for me, worst!!!
Love the zelda ds, but phantom hourglass droped at about 10 hours and never played again, same thing same gameplay.

Thats why so many remakes in this generation.

Last edited by abilaunken,

tarumbo83

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally, a fellow person who thinks SPM is the best entry!

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, they already started doing new IPs with smaller titles and Splatoon. I'm sure they are working on new IPs, but this take time to make them good and make sure it isn't just a niche title like Code Name Steam.

They can make new IPs left and right, but it needs to be IPs that actually catch on.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Finally, a fellow person who thinks SPM is the best entry!
I am really more into this on a mathematical aspect as it demonstrate a transition between planes and the possibilities. But on the other hand it is also a solid platformer with rpg elements, great plot and characters, and even a bit of metroidvania.

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really don't think it is. The concept is great, the execution is not. As much as we hate to admit it, hardware has to go hand-in-hand with innovative features. You can be unique all you want, but if you can't walk the distance as well, you're not exceptional - you're a weirdo. The Wii U needed to distance itself from the Wii rather than continue the legacy of the GC's PPC roots. The architecture was dead Day 1, unfortunately. With competent hardware under the hood, it would've had the potential to shake things up. There's also a myriad of problems with how Nintendo approaches online, but this isn't a Wii U or Nintendo Network thread, so I won't address that in detail.

I think I can really pin-point where Nintendo went off the rails with their quest to take massive new market shares:

634394-wiifitfinalbox.jpg

Right around the time they did this they were all about cashing in on the fact that they had entire families playing a gaming console. Everyone from Grampa to his Grandson played Wii Sports... and that's about where it stopped for most of that crowd. People got bored of these along with their Wii Sports and that in turn (or so I believe) caused third party game sales to drop hard. Kinda funny to think they were victims of their own success in a way.

Trophies
XP
Country
I cant help but feel Nintendo have mistakenly sabotaged the precedent set by 3DS hardware and its seemingly low development costs high profit margins + high installbase for this console which is being marketed toward a demographic of social on-the-go casual gamers who don't really exist and already have mobiles. But even then this console seems way too big and inaccessible to actually serve as a portable from the beginning

I don't see stacy booting up her Nintendo Switch after a night of drinking alcohol and sucking chads fat dick only to do some quick Mario gaming with her girlfriends on the sidewalk before her taxi home arrives.

Last edited by Online,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, I lost an online friend today who i knew since 2021