The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm honestly just here for the drama.

I don't even own a switch.
How about we don't aim for drama and dream to learn from the tribalism that seriously made the 3DS hacking scene a toxic mess. It turned what should have been a scene of fun hacking and individualism into a group of cults hating each over. This is something we need to learn from and discourage from happening again.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont know i ignored gateway before because i didnt want to get my console bricked.
It was fake gateways that bricked. (and some corrupted file transfers)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There was no other choice but gateway for about a year, this time we already have cfw coming, and I feel software support will be better for bypassing drm on our "legal backups".

Reactions: Darth Meteos

Loke

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It was fake gateways that bricked. (and some corrupted file transfers)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There was no other choice but gateway for about a year, this time we already have cfw coming, and I feel software support will be better for bypassing drm on our "legal backups".

It was their code that bricked fake devices.. They punished the end user for being ripped off.

Pixelspass

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
From their distributor and it starts saturday
That's probably not true though. Team Xecuter stated on their site:
WARNING: DO NOT BUY XECUTER PRODUCTS FROM WEBSITES SUCH AS ALIBABA, ALIEXPRESS or TAOBAO.
THEY POST REALLY CHEAP PRICES BUT DO NOT HAVE ANY STOCK AND WILL HOLD YOUR MONEY FOR WEEKS. WHEN THEY EVENTUALLY RECEIVE STOCK (IT'S NEVER FROM US) THEY ARE EITHER CHEAP CLONES OR FAULTY RETURNS OR JUST OUTRIGHT FAKES. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Just because someone posts a "chatlog" with someone saying it will be 30$ and preorders start on saturday, it does not mean it is true.
I wish it was, but don't count on it.

crow132

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Helena
for me there is no race, there's only atmosphere

im not gonna back up xecuter trying to make money from an exploit that was made public

Last edited by crow132,
Reactions: Thetoto

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was their code that bricked fake devices.. They punished the end user for being ripped off.
No one was ripped off, people bought fake cards because they were cheaper, im not saying it was okay, just it is really weird to buy a fake card that uses other companys software, its also very interesting to see if this new switch modchip will have anything like this, because if not, we should all be able to use it. Payload can probably be sent to switch from pc with a usb c cable.

ShroomKing

Somebody
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's probably not true though. Team Xecuter stated on their site:

Just because someone posts a "chatlog" with someone saying it will be 30$ and preorders start on saturday, it does not mean it is true.
I wish it was, but don't count on it.
that warning text you quoted has been on there for years.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it really depends on who drops support first, most likely Team Executor. The thing we need to see is how many consoles brick switching from TeamX to Atmosphre CFW and vice versa

ShroomKing

Somebody
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for me there is no race, there's only atmosphere

im not gonna back up xecuter trying to make money in a exploit that was made public
It's not like what they're providing has no monetary value. What they're selling is essentially a pre-setup raspberry pi 0 dongle, stuff like that costs money and takes time to setup. Time a lot of people(who are going to buy this) don't have or don't want to invest. In addition to that, the dongle comes with their own software which took them months to develop.

Regardless of whether or not their price is reasonable: (i don't know yet, if you were to build such a dongle yourself you would be paying $20-$30)
I don't understand all the hate they're getting. Nothing is wrong with providing a (not free) optional product. Stuff like this has been around for years(flashcarts, ps1-ps2 modchips, modded xbox drives etc.) and nobody is forcing you to buy it. You can go out, buy the necessary parts, and build it yourself if you like.
TX does it for you, and they even give you the software you want for it.
If you expect them to do it for free just because the exploit is public or there are free alternatives you're just dumb. Hardware is not free, most software isn't either and it has never been. Just because this is something used for piracy doesn't change that fact.

And while i can't recommend people to buy this, there's nothing wrong with doing so for convenience' sake. And in the end, it all comes down to the price.(everything above $50 would be a blatant ripoff)

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Much of the 'race' is imagined by end users on here, they target quite different types of users.

Atmosphere is an open source project with contributions from a huge amount of developers. It's open nature means that anybody can contribute towards its development and it will grow as a project. If development halts, anybody can fork it. It has the potential to grow beyond closed solutions because of this in the way that Luma did, but might not offer the quick fix solution for piracy in the short term and might need a little more interest and maintaining from the end user.

The TX device is more for people who are less interested in the hacking and exploiting of their console and more interested in a simple solution. Similar to Sky3DS and the like in a sense. It's designed to be simple to use with support, though the closed nature of the project means people are somewhat at the whim of TX maintaining it. It's not of such huge interest to developers because they cannot contribute to the code.

Last edited by sj33,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Dan-the-Rebirth

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I am one of the gateway early adopters. Do I still use gw? No, I use Luma now.
Do I regret buying gateway? No. It gave me what I wanted at the time I wanted it. Bottomline: I will probably buy the TX dingle and in a few years when free cfw is better than that change my setup. I think it's all about convenience.

Last edited by Dan-the-Rebirth,

xy-maps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'll take the CFW that gets there first. The problem with TX CFW is that the Dongle still has to be shipped and if the thing really come from China or can only be produced on demand, can it take 2-3 months or longer...

KevinX8

Proud user of The Dark Theme
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll just wait for someone to leak the payload and sd card files, I'd much rather use the free android app for fussee payloads than a 30 dollar USB stick. Pirate from the pirates :D

Last edited by KevinX8,
Reactions: arslan012

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty how are you doing