Nintendo Switch No Fans/Joycon Charging Un-Docked.

pablo67340

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
bryces.site
XP
Country
Canada
Hey there,

I have a Nintendo Switch from a friend of mine. When the switch is un-docked, the fan does not turn on, and the Joycons do not charge. When I plug the switch into a USB-C charger, the fan immediately turns on, and the joycons start to charge. I just wanted to confirm, would a reflow of the M92 chip potentially fix this? Where should I be looking?

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Tthe joycons do not charge more than 50% when undocked and not connected to a charger.
They will start charging +50% if you connect the adapter.
If the fan is not spinning but the Switch does not get hot, then I would not consider that a problem.
That the fan starts spinning ony if you plug in the adapter might also be the power management system doing it's job.
If it isn't broken then I would not attempt to fix it. :)

DragarX

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Fans shouldn't spin up in hand-held mode (unless ambient temp is high) as the gpu is down clocked, when you attach the charger (depending on the application) the gpu will boost its clocks and start putting out more heat requiring the fan to kick in.

pablo67340

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
bryces.site
XP
Country
Canada
Fans shouldn't spin up in hand-held mode (unless ambient temp is high) as the gpu is down clocked, when you attach the charger (depending on the application) the gpu will boost its clocks and start putting out more heat requiring the fan to kick in.

The fan, even on high temps, will not spin unless I plug a charger in. My friend had troubles installing a trinket into his switch, and he had to replace some caps/resistors near the M92 chip. Ever since then, the Fan will not turn on (even when they should be during high temps), and the joycons will not charge even when they are completely dead. As soon as I plug in a charger to the switch, everything functions normally again.

Shinai7047

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ffnplj0.png

These are the two caps that were removed. They were replaced with the proper values but since they are so small they had to be replaced with hot air. I used Kapton tape on all the surrounding components, including the M92, but the original solder was having a hard time melting with the heat shield next to it. I worry that the M92 might have had a short created from that heat potentially pushing the solder around underneath the chip/around the pins. When Pablo and I both looked at it under scopes, there doesn't appear to be any solder in between the pins on the chip, thus leading us to lean more towards the potential of needing a reflow. Since the switch still boots, still charges, and everything apparently works (minus the fan and the joycon charging which is on the 5v rail exclusively) without the charger being plugged in(this is while testing with BoTW on and trying to stress the system to a point that would initiate the fan to no success, and this is with the joycons at less than 50% in every instance we have tried). We then plug the charger in, and lo and behold there are fans and controller charging (again, less than 50% controller battery, not that it matters when it's docked/plugged in)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eo3Bh06drc