Nintendo Switch Lite Game Card Reader Issues

harrshe3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I purchased a Nintendo Switch Lite off Facebook Marketplace a few months ago with what was described as a broken right thumbstick. I tested a game cart before purchase and it worked with no issues. It ended up being the screw posts on the shell that were broken. In the process of replacing the shell I accidentally broke off the connector on the sister board for the LCD backlight so I ordered another sister board. I replaced the sister board and when I fired up the Switch the screen lit up but I get the same error message over and over again when I put a game cart in. "The game card could not be read.”
I ordered a replacement card reader and got the same issue. Figured it was maybe a defective reader so I had it replaced and am still getting the same error code.

I have to assume that something else has gone wrong. One thing I did do after replacing the shell was upgrade the firmware to the latest version (13.2.0) before I realized the card reader was not working. Do the card readers have/need firmware updates as well? I am wondering if somehow I updated the firmware on the switch lite and the new card reader does not have latest firmware. Everything else on the switch lite (headphones, touch screen, all buttons, charging port, Wi-Fi, etc.) works without any issues.

Is there a way of going about testing the PCB's or other components on the main board for any issues? This was meant to be a Xmas present and I absolutely cannot find any Switch Lite's around town or online.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I dont know much about hardware issues, but i know for sure the cart reader gets updated too if you update your switch. so if i'm getting this right, you fixed all other problems... have you by any chance not connected the reader right while updating? i guess the only fix could be waiting for another switch update or updating the cart reader manually somehow (maybe with factory reset?), but im not sure...

harrshe3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know much about hardware issues, but i know for sure the cart reader gets updated too if you update your switch. so if i'm getting this right, you fixed all other problems... have you by any chance not connected the reader right while updating? i guess the only fix could be waiting for another switch update or updating the cart reader manually somehow (maybe with factory reset?), but im not sure...
I am running a factory reset right now so we will see. One idea I had was to revert the firmware on the Switch Lite to a previous version and then re-upgrade to the newest version with the new card reader connected and maybe that will push a firmware update to the card reader? The issue is that I have found links describing how to downgrade the firmware but only for jailbroken switches. Is there a safe way to use the SD card to downgrade the switch firmware for a normal/not jailbroken switch?

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a safe way to use the SD card to downgrade the switch firmware for a normal/not jailbroken switch?
no, fuses get burnt when you update ofw without cfw. factory reset or wait for next ofw update to update the gc firmware. though some say just connecting online in ofw will update it.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
downgrading the switch isnt possible for non jailbroken ones and it wont be easy even for jailbroken ones. i am not that much into downgrading because its mostly not needed and if i want to jailbreak, i'd rather wait until an exploit comes out. other than that, hopefully its just the reader firmware thats not up to date...

harrshe3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
=factory reset or wait for next ofw update to update the gc firmware.

other than that, hopefully its just the reader firmware thats not up to date...
Does a factory reset automatically update the cart firmware? Just finished the factory data reset and still no luck. Craig Lloyd from Ifixit recommended that I disconnect and reconnect the battery connection, of which I also did. No go. I'm scratching my head here. There's no way I got a second bad cart reader is there? This is the one I ordered (Can't post link, sorry for screenshot)
1639456163321.png

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i dont know when the reader gets updated exactly, i wasnt sure if the factory reset updates it automatically. and when it comes to replacement parts i dont know much, i only tinkered a bit on broken 3ds consoles. i ran into the reader problem myself on my jailbroken switch once, but the problem was that i couldnt use the latest cart reader firmware on a lower switch firmware. in this case the reader firmware seems to be lower than the switch firmware. i dont know if that is even a problem.

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does a factory reset automatically update the cart firmware? Just finished the factory data reset and still no luck. Craig Lloyd from Ifixit recommended that I disconnect and reconnect the battery connection, of which I also did. No go. I'm scratching my head here. There's no way I got a second bad cart reader is there? This is the one I ordered (Can't post link, sorry for screenshot)
View attachment 289629
idk about gc slot replacements but when i had gc fuse issues, the only thing that fixed it properly was updating in ofw when a new version came out. others have had luck just booting into ofw and the fuse burning but i havent had such luck.

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
https://appuals.com/nintendo-switch-game-card-error/

i think these fixes are too common for this problem, but maybe give it a try...

i have at least a question. Did you only use 1 game for testing yet? if so, was the card already used or is it new? sometimes on ds games i had reading issues because the golden contacts where dirty. i dont know if that could be a problem on the switch anymore, but maybe if you havent already try another card.

I also see something about just resetting the cache. i dont know if it makes a difference, but instead of a factory reset it could do something? i dont know...

and if you try to update the firmware again, it probably just says "firmware is up to date". maybe still try it?

since the reader actually recognizes a card, there might be no issue with the reader itself, but i wonder if something is wrong with the connection to the mainboard?

otherwise i am clueless.

harrshe3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I went back to the old card reader and used a flashlight and tweezers to readjust the pins. Getting nice contact and no abrasiveness. Still the same issue. I've tested all 7 physical games I own. All ribbon flex cables are attached and secured correctly and the 3.5mm headphone jack (which connects to the motherboard along with the game cart via one single ribbon cable) is working with no issues. Nothing else I can do really. It's out of warranty, but I was thinking of sending it in to Nintendo for repair ($89 for physical damage). Would Nintendo reject the repair if it arrives in a clear purple shell but serial number is for a turquoise one?

JackTheFroster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i dont know if nintendo or any store you would buy a switch with warranty would accept it since you opened the switch yourself and warranty was already gone. but since everything else works fine, i dont really think its physical damage... i would rather ask the official support for help first, if they actually want to help you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte