Nintendo Switch gets unofficial Android 10 support from SwitchRoot

android 10 on nintendo switch.png

The SwitchRoot team has successfully ported Android 10 to the Nintendo Switch. This build is based on the LineageOS 17.1 for NVIDIA Shield TV which, compared to previous releases, is faster, more responsive and includes new features such as deep sleep and an Android TV build. This release is also available in two versions where the 'Tablet' build works best in portable mode and supports the full Android app library, and the 'Android TV' build supports both docked and portable modes for media but may not support all apps and games.

An official changelog for this release can be found below:

• Android 10 based on Lineage 17.1
  • OTA updates.
  • Full Joy-Con and Pro Controller support with analog sticks and rails.
  • Hori Joy-Con support.
  • Deep sleep that can last for weeks.
  • An Android TV based build.
  • Reworked fan profiles for quieter operation.
  • Optimised dock support with resolution scaling.
  • A rewritten charger driver supporting USB-PD and third party docks.
  • Optimised touch screen driver.
  • Easier install via hekate partition tool.
  • Reworked, simpler, power profiles.
  • Much improved WiFi driver with less dropouts.
  • Shield TV remote app support for easy docked control.
  • Reboot to payload support.
  • Improved Bluetooth accessory support.
  • Auto rotation support.

Additionally, there are a couple of known bugs which the SwitchRoot team shared:

• Shield games are broken, DO NOT BUY THEM.
  • Sleep may not work on a small proportion of devices, you can flash the alarm disable zip to try and mitigate this.
  • BT audio might stutter on some headphones.
  • You might need to reboot for Bluetooth to work on a small proportion of devices.
  • Default keyboard can't be used with a controller.
  • Some apps don't like the Joy-Con D-Pad.

SwitchRoot member bylaws posted a complete installation guide, with download links and tips over on XDA and is linked below.

:download: Android 10 Nintendo Switch Installation Guide

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
They did good, i followed the project for a good amount of time, lots of effort they poured into android 9 (skipped) and now 10 on switch, works fine, if wasn't by the fact it runs on a sd card and some touchscreen bloopers i would say it's flawless, it's also not comparable to the first oreo releases or the wip pie/q builds performance wise.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
the Switch is getting more unofficial Android support than my Android phone officially does smh :unsure:

That's one of the problems I have with custom ROMs as an argument with Android, you need to buy the 'right' device(s).

The most I ever saw on my old Tegra 3 Lenovo Tablet was one broken custom ROM.

I didn't even take custom ROMs into account when getting my Note 20 Ultra, since being Exynos (don't ask) I don't expect much in the next few years.

munnimann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Are there any potential risks (other than the usual risk that any homebrew can brick your system) that aren't mentioned? I haven't really been following the Linux and Android projects for the Switch, so please excuse my ignorance. I think I remember that way back running Linux on your Switch could potentially mess up your battery.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the Switch is getting more unofficial Android support than my Android phone officially does smh :unsure:

But your official android phone got more official android support than the switch.
I don't know what phone you have, I bought a Sony XA2 because it has pretty good LineageOS support.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Wow. since last year, it's always it will come out in 1 month. Stopped waiting and bought a tablet and an iPega controller instead. I like my setup more since it's comically large.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Any chance this ever gets working on Mariko? Would love to completely ditch my V1.
This is turning in to Chinese whispers but someone on reddit said that one of the staff in the Switch root Discord said that Mariko is unlikely to be supported any time soon, if ever. I'm not sure what the technical reason is but I guess Eristas have a lot more in common with existing Android platforms that run on Tegra.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which GApps are Needed????????
I know ARM64, and Pico. But which Version? When first Clicked on, it showed 7.1. But since Android 10, should it be that one?????

julianuf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For a second I thought "ooo I could use this as a shield replacement for other TV's in the house!" but then realized that's probably not a good idea. lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty how are you?