Nintendo Switch firmware 6.0 leaked and confirmed, Sept 3 release likely

IMG_0825.JPG

Earlier this year, back in March, we saw the release of a brand new 5.0.0 firmware update for the Nintendo Switch. It was an overall minor update, giving users better control over their parental controls, changing the way the news app entries were filtered, and a handful of new avatars. Now, we're almost to September, and a new milestone firmware is on the horizon. A 6.0.0 update has been leaked by the CDN, and some of its contents were datamined. The update file itself currently lurks in the darker parts of the web, if one dares to hunt it out. It's not advised that you try to mess with that, however.

While the full details of the update are not currently clear, hackers have datamined the update with fairly interesting results. Like the last update, there's new avatars, this time focusing on Captain Toad. There's 2 Toad avatars, 2 Toadette, 1 Draggadon, and 1 Wingo that have been added.

RgyyjKj.jpg

This is also an update that prepares for the imminent launch of the Nintendo Online Services, with a new slogan on the eShop being written as "More Games, More Features, More Fun". Cloud save data backups have been added, too, and will happen automatically if you put your system into sleep mode. Supposedly, measures have also been put in place through telemetry in order to have a higher rate of detection on those who use exploits and CFW. There may also be a new master key.

Furthermore, a large banner of controller icons were datamined, with NES and SNES controllers. What their purpose is has not been identified yet. Theories range from it bringing new controller type support, or icons for the new NES and SNES games that will be offered with the online service. A release of potentially Monday next week, September 3 has been cited as the most likely time that the update will drop. Regardless of when the update hits, a news post covering the official release and its details will be posted, so stay tuned.

Dl6JfJCU8AA-PVG.jpg

As always, if you value keeping your system primed for homebrew, you'll want to refrain from updating before a full breakdown is available. Are you wary of this update? Excited? Shocked that it's not just stability patches? What do you think of the new 6.0.0 update?

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They update eshop at 9 am california time every thursday, so i don't see what is different here. :ninja:
TBH I don't understand why they wouldn't release the update simultaneous to the NSO release, that's when it makes sense to release an update and that's when it will release. Why would Nintendo ever drop an update before it's new services are opened up?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean Nintendo is a company. It has a schedule and they can't just not release an update because some hackers got the keys.
I'd agree except that it happened as early as it did, so they definitely had the chance to re-schedule plans

Either way, there's really no way that we on the consumer end would really know one way or the other

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yer, don't know when it was introduced but was pleasantly surprised when i switched on my x, expecting to have to migrate all my (small really) dataset from the S to the X. Turns out MS is actually nice with its online offerings :)
They also do this with any game you buy from the Microsoft Store. Very nice!

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think Nintendo is CRAZY for not implementing PC keyboard and mouse drivers, so that people can play professionally in games where they need that precise aiming ability, or need to type messages in say MMORPGS.
They won't allow chatting because according to Nintendo the community is toxic and you as a player needs to be protected from that

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
It doesn't release today, I honestly doubt it will come before the release of NSO, but of course you never know, this is Nintendo, but even then. Nintendo wants to hold onto their precious update as long as possible.
They have to release it before NSO or NSO won't work.

I honestly expect it sometime this week, probably Tuesday or Wednesday.
They don't seem to always stick to the Monday-only template like with 3ds and wiiu.

Last edited by zoogie,

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have to release it before NSO or NSO won't work.

I honestly expect it sometime this week, probably Tuesday or Wednesday.
They don't seem to always stick to the Monday-only template like with 3ds and wiiu.
By that I meant they would release it the same day as NSO, so as soon as you update the system you can start using the new features.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
By that I meant they would release it the same day as NSO, so as soon as you update the system you can start using the new features.
They could do that but it would be risky since 6.0 is a major update and there might be bugs.
Best to get it out a couple weeks early so there would be time for an emergency patch update if need be.

You want the NSO launch to be as smooth as possible.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Nintendo is CRAZY for not implementing PC keyboard and mouse drivers, so that people can play professionally in games where they need that precise aiming ability, or need to type messages in say MMORPGS.
Go pleasure yourself
For gaming with keyboard + mouse:

For typing in MMORPGs:

PS4 is facing its own crisis for allowing players to K&M and kick DualShock players' asses. Fortnite has to match K&M PS4 players with PC in regular matches now to keep the game fair.

Last edited by aykay55,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They won't allow chatting because according to Nintendo the community is toxic and you as a player needs to be protected from that
Back when or before they killed the nsider forums (I know im old, probably none of you know that or Nintendo power is/was), they (I think reggie?) said that it was to protect kids from pedos pretty much.

Side note: Did you guys know that even until recently (unless its changed in the last few months) japanese MMO players still type instead of using voice comms.

Last edited by Ericthegreat,
Reactions: nWo

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They could do that but it would be risky since 6.0 is a major update and there might be bugs.
Best to get it out a couple weeks early so there would be time for an emergency patch update if need be.

You want the NSO launch to be as smooth as possible.
That's what 6.x updates are for. Nintendo has acknowledged bugs in their latest update but hasn't released an update since forever. The one I specifically encountered was the one which totally prevents someone from sending a friend request to a user in-game. Like when you click "View Profile" and then click "Send Friend Request", it will always return with an error. Nintendo hasn't done anything about this, and their support page has said they will release an update to fix it which hasn't happened.

Evidence: http://bit.ly/2ozWtLo

Last edited by aykay55,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?