Hacking nintendo switch external hard drive support

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well now that "backup loaders are a thing", how close are we from USB 3.0 harddrive/flash drive/SSD loading in docked mode?
Did you even read any posts above yours? :D
"Backup loaders are not a thing" as backups (XCI files) are not loadable through ReiNX/RejNX/Atmo and there's no homebrew that loads backups.
Only TX has one built into their SX OS which in fact isn't a backup loader as well as it only redirects the launch of an inserted cartridge to launch it from a XCI from the SD instead.

However we can install NSP files and run them inside our custom firmwares thanks to sig patches if that's what you meant.
But as @AdamFX990 wrote, this will take some time until it's possible from (and to) USB.

Last edited by lordelan,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Did you even read any posts above yours? :D
"Backup loaders are not a thing" as backups (XCI files) are not loadable through ReiNX/RejNX/Atmo and there's no homebrew that loads backups.
Only TX has one built into their SX OS which in fact isn't a backup loader as well as it only redirects the launch of an inserted cartridge to launch it from a XCI from the SD instead.

However we can install NSP files and run them inside our custom firmwares thanks to sig patches if that's what you meant.
But as @AdamFX990 wrote, this will take some time until it's possible from (and to) USB.
Point is, We can play backups, regardless of how it's "technically" achieved.

Reactions: lordelan

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
And please stop spreading your hate to the Switch here. We are in a thread about the SWITCH, talking about HDD support to the CONSOLE YOU HATE SO MUCH. So be polite, and let the comments be about people interested in this console, and it's progress. Thank you.

Trice

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
External harddisk support would already be nice just to easily archive games you don't play right now as an alternative to deleting and having to redownload them later. This is also something I could see Nintendo adding in a future firmware update as more and more large Switch games get released. Being able to play the games directly from the external storage would be the icing on the cake, but I don't see Nintendo doing this as it kinda defeats the purpose of the system and would probably cause more headaches than it's worth with people forgetting to move a game over to the SD card when they want to take the Switch with them and stuff like that.

Would love to have the functionality through custom firmware though.

Gootah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I completely disagree with you here. The HDD would just be "another SD" filled with games. If the Switch is booted into hekate or the SX OS bootmenu, then docked and then booted into the CFW with applied USB redirection, all to USB installed NSPs would appear and could be selected.
To avoid any damage you would have to turn off the Switch completely until you remove it from the dock.
Then you can boot it in handheld mode just normally into a CFW (or even vanilla Horizon) without USB redirection to have all the games installed to the SD listed on your homescreen which you then can play on the go.
I'd use this to have "couch only" games which are also big, on my USB drive, like GO Vacation for example. Why wasting SD space for such games? I won't play that game alone in my bed.
And to your 2 TB point ... for people who like to have complete rom collections to use in RetroArch (like me :P) this becomes a thing as soon as N64, Dreamcast, SEGA Saturn and maybe even Dolphin are working stable on the Switch. We even have a good PSX core now and PSX games are not as small as SNES games obviously.

To me you're speaking on a portable device and giving to many reasons too make it stationary. If you want to be stationary with your ROM collection, you can already do that on your laptop. Why even use a Switch for this type if thing? The result will surely be worse that what's already out there and working. And you're misleading people who don't really know better with terms like "working stable". If you're not intentionally misleading them, you're giving them a false sense of quality. For big 3D gaming there are older systems (but even PS4 I believe) and PCs that can run them much better from a stationary position. Any attempts keep the Switch grounded is like moving backward IMO.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I am sure Nintendo can and will implement HDD support in the future, maybe next year, or after that.

richexpert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
for awhile better we look for playing backups via ftp or sorta,better than looking for external hdd... i mean acess your pc for the backups.

Reactions: nWo

syfer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What hard drive makes are supported? I need to buy 2tb one for my games but what makes will work with switch. Their no info anywhere that gives you the model number of hard drives that are confirmed to be working in 2tb storage. Any one want to helpmeout and tell me which had works with switch on cfw.

syfer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
would ssd 1tb or m.2 work with a switch if I buy an enclosure that had its own power ca plug with USB 3.0 with cfw swich?

MatkoPucik

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
yes, i already have plugged 3TB powered external harddrive via USB to dock.

Also, i tried USB-C m.2 NVME enclosure with 1TB ssd inside. Switch can't hold stable connection (ssd still restart), but if i plugged through powered usb hub, SX OS installer can install games and play fine from this m2 ssd. But it's slower than from SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol