Hacking nintendo switch external hard drive support

JaRocker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
hey just wanted to know if there's going to be support for external HDD on the Nintendo Switch.
I know that I can get a bigger sd card but its easier to it a 2tb HDD then it is to get a 265GB sd card I think that bit would be kool to have that option in docked mode

D

Deleted-442439

It is possible, but will not be a thing for a very long time, possibly never. It will require a lot of work and the Reswitched team have no current plans to implement it nor do any other devs. In addition to that it would only be possible on the usb c support the dock would require a modchip to support it.

JaRocker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
well I really don't care about official support Nintendo do things on there own time in a funny way people have been wanting retro games and the only real way to get them is from emulator I'm looking for support along the line of CFW

souler92

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
within a small period of time when cfw is in and loading backups we will get usb hdd support.. you know how much the switch is capable of when having full acces right?

Reactions: JaRocker

JaRocker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
It is possible, but will not be a thing for a very long time, possibly never. It will require a lot of work and the Reswitched team have no current plans to implement it nor do any other devs. In addition to that it would only be possible on the usb c support the dock would require a modchip to support it.

hhmm i see maybe that's what the xecuter are trying to do. maybe if there a way out there to change the nand and write that would make it easy to do a nand upgrade you know something like on the iPhone

D

Deleted-442439

well I really don't care about official support Nintendo do things on there own time in a funny way people have been wanting retro games and the only real way to get them is from emulator I'm looking for support along the line of CFW

I have spoken to the CFW devs about this specifically Kate, they will not support it at launch, and they have no plans to do it.

That does not stop others from implementing it, but it will take time.

JaRocker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
I have spoken to the CFW devs about this specifically Kate, they will not support it at launch, and they have no plans to do it.

That does not stop others from implementing it, but it will take time.
ok well I know someone out there is going to do it you cant do anything with 32gb I don't know what Nintendo was thinking I know it was a price thing but I least 64gb would have been better not by much but still better when you get a Game the updates alone kills the memory

D

Deleted-442439

hdd support would mean the switch would have to be docked at all times. Not for me since i always play handheld

Not it does not, all you need is a USB C drive for the console itself, the dock will never support it anyway

JaRocker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
hdd support would mean the switch would have to be docked at all times. Not for me since i always play handheld
yeah I get that it's not for everyone but you can have the game that you want to play on the go on the switch and the ones that you mostly play at home on the dock

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not it does not, all you need is a USB C drive for the console itself, the dock will never support it anyway
oh wasn't even thinking about that you should use one of the Samsung type c SSD then you could use it anywhere

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
OTG Mass Storage Device is possible via the USB-C connector, same way some Android phones can support seeing a usb stick plugged in. -- Dock firmware could be modded, or 3rd party dock could be built to support it, all tho they better fix their power/charge problem so no more bricked switches. -- As for what developer will do it, hard to say, but https://twitter.com/ShinyQuagsire/status/982399796324347904 mentioned it back in early April.

Reactions: peteruk

JaRocker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
OTG Mass Storage Device is possible via the USB-C connector, same way some Android phones can support seeing a usb stick plugged in. -- Dock firmware could be modded, or 3rd party dock could be built to support it, all tho they better fix their power/charge problem so no more bricked switches. -- As for what developer will do it, hard to say, but https://twitter.com/ShinyQuagsire/status/982399796324347904 mentioned it back in early April.
ok kool I don't think they're going to be any more bicking problems from the dock I was from I bug in the update from Nintendo I think its fixed now

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

can anyone tell me if there's a bigger version for this chip if so where can i find one THGBMHG8C2LBAIL https://www.digikey.com/product-det...nc/THGBMHG8C2LBAIL/THGBMHG8C2LBAIL-ND/5993836

tecfreak

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the dock will never support it anyway
Why? I know there will never be support for it with the Horizon OS, but I can already use a ethernet adapter that is plugged into one of the dock's usb ports. So why should it be impossible to use a mass storage device the same way if the cfw provides the needed drivers or why there would be a need for a mod chip to even make this possible?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
D

Deleted-442439

Why? I know there will never be support for it with the Horizon OS, but I can already use a ethernet adapter that is plugged into one of the dock's usb ports. So why should it be impossible to use a mass storage device the same way if the cfw provides the needed drivers or why there would be a need for a mod chip to even make this possible?

Because that is not how any of this works... If the the dock was just a USB hub that would be possible, but it has a proprietary board without support for USB mass storage, flashing the dock will not fix that, it will require a modchip to add that functionality you can't just flash the dock, the Switch can't just read/write anything you connect it to....

tecfreak

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Because that is not how any of this works... If the the dock was just a USB hub that would be possible, but it has a proprietary board without support for USB mass storage, flashing the dock will not fix that, it will require a modchip to add that functionality you can't just flash the dock, the Switch can't just read/write anything you connect it to....
Are you sure about that? I thought the dock has a VIA usb 3.0 hub controller. It has a single usb 3.0 upstream port, one usb 3.0 and three usb 2.0 downstream ports where one of the 2.0 ports is connected to the stm32f0 I think.

rajkosto

Trophies
XP
Country

The dock is just an USB hub and the Horizon OS is the one that needs to support Ethernet class, CDC class, Mass storage class, etc... (currently it only supports HID class and the very specific wii/wii-u network adapter chipsets)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
and now you have to imagine how to power up the switch and the external HDD in the same time, this will be very messy.
Maybe if you can make portable dock that has the necessary to provide a charger and extra slot for storage.

Last edited by aos10,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://youtu.be/heNQ-22Mqnk?si=B4bTa9MKZkRNCkxU