Nintendo Switch Display Color Temperature Variation

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by sorabora, Apr 4, 2017.

1. sorabora
    OP

sorabora Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2016
    United States
    So this is jarring. In the pic below, my launch unit from Amazon is up top. My buddy's unit - also from Amazon - just arrived today and is below. The picture speaks for itself.

[​IMG]

It's like there's some hidden setting where mine is set to "Standard" and his is set to "Warm 2." As for actual settings, both units are set to max brightness with auto-brightness set to off. All settings are exactly the same.

I'm concerned that perhaps his unit's display is defective (or hell, maybe mine is). Pretty surprised at the stark variation. Is the typical Switch display on the 'standard' or 'warm' side of things?

a few more at this link:

http://imgur.com/a/klBrE

2. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I've seen 3ds do this and not sure what causes it or if there is a fix. My switch is like the top one. How does it look when running a game?

3. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Just switch to the dark theme (like you should have anyway) and you'll never notice this again.

4. DBlaze

DBlaze I don't know what i'm doing.

Nov 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    I am tempted to say it's a TN vs IPS thing, but don't take my word for that since I don't know if this is the case.
    Could also just be that they don't get screens from just 1 manufacturer, and that can give a hell of a difference. Say 1 screen is from samsung and the other from... who knows what.

On that sidenote, does the switch have the same BS as the 3ds, where it's just a gamble which one you get?

Last edited by DBlaze, Apr 4, 2017
    KiiWii likes this.
  5. slingblade1170

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I had this issue on my original 3ds it was the bottom screen while the top was more of a cool temp like the pic but it eventually went away. I don't remember exactly when just noticed one day while playing fantasy life it was back to normal.

6. DarkIrata

DarkIrata GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2015
    Gambia, The
    common thing.
    Same thing with phones.

7. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    All Switch's r suppose to be IPS across the board

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    In the case of the 3DS, it was glue causing the yellow tint due to the screens being freshly produced, which eventually went away on its own. Not sure if it's the same case here but @sorabora I would check again in a few weeks and see if it goes away on its own, it could just be the glue.

sorabora, Xzi and slingblade1170 like this.
  9. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    This seems likely. They're all IPS, but color temperature is still a toss-up until/unless they unify manufacturing components. Thankfully I got the cooler temp.

10. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Same panel type does not guarantee same color temperature

11. sorabora
    OP

sorabora Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2016
    United States
    @The Real Jdbye Is this something I can make go faster? e.g., leaving the system on 24x7 for the first week or so? thanks!

Last edited by sorabora, Apr 5, 2017
  12. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    happens with all lcd. I see it alot on cellphones but they normally have an option to adjust the color until you get something you like.

13. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I remember when some 3DSs were doing this. As I recall many of the O3DS XL's had the yellow tint to them. I believe it was due to them using a different type screen or something like that. I feel fortunate that neither my original 3DS or N3DS XL or Switch have ever had this effect going on. I don't know what Nintendo's deal is at a manufacturing level, but really they need to standardize everything and keep it consistent. Its incredibly frustrating as it is that when you get a N3DS, you can't tell until you play it if you have TN or IPS screens or some combination of both. That simply shouldn't be a thing.

Last edited by duffmmann, Apr 5, 2017
  14. sorabora
    OP

sorabora Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2016
    United States
    Unscientific update, one week later: [​IMG]

Maybe it's improving? Glue curing?

15. slingblade1170

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Definitely looks a lot better! You are probably right which is exactly how it happened with my 3ds.

16. scart35

scart35 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 17, 2016
    Like you said - unscientific. Without side by side comparison with the same second switch in the OP, this just auto white balance compensating for yellowish screen.

17. Nemix77

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    I like the bottom one but mine came like the top which is too bluish for me.

18. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    I've seen this in phones, caused by too much adhesive

19. enarky

enarky owls?

Jul 31, 2003
    Afghanistan
    I've seen this in phones time and time again, this doesn't have anything to do with adhesives, it's perfectly normal. Fresh screens show a warmer temperature for a couple of days/weeks. People always freak out about that.

20. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Nintendo has shitty display quality control. It's common news.

whateverg1012 likes this.