Hardware Nintendo Switch Display Color Temperature Variation

sorabora

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this is jarring. In the pic below, my launch unit from Amazon is up top. My buddy's unit - also from Amazon - just arrived today and is below. The picture speaks for itself.

N3Xq8hd.jpg

It's like there's some hidden setting where mine is set to "Standard" and his is set to "Warm 2." As for actual settings, both units are set to max brightness with auto-brightness set to off. All settings are exactly the same.

I'm concerned that perhaps his unit's display is defective (or hell, maybe mine is). Pretty surprised at the stark variation. Is the typical Switch display on the 'standard' or 'warm' side of things?

a few more at this link:

http://imgur.com/a/klBrE

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Just switch to the dark theme (like you should have anyway) and you'll never notice this again.

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I am tempted to say it's a TN vs IPS thing, but don't take my word for that since I don't know if this is the case.
Could also just be that they don't get screens from just 1 manufacturer, and that can give a hell of a difference. Say 1 screen is from samsung and the other from... who knows what.

On that sidenote, does the switch have the same BS as the 3ds, where it's just a gamble which one you get?

Last edited by DBlaze,

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
I had this issue on my original 3ds it was the bottom screen while the top was more of a cool temp like the pic but it eventually went away. I don't remember exactly when just noticed one day while playing fantasy life it was back to normal.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've seen 3ds do this and not sure what causes it or if there is a fix. My switch is like the top one. How does it look when running a game?
In the case of the 3DS, it was glue causing the yellow tint due to the screens being freshly produced, which eventually went away on its own. Not sure if it's the same case here but @sorabora I would check again in a few weeks and see if it goes away on its own, it could just be the glue.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Could also just be that they don't get screens from just 1 manufacturer, and that can give a hell of a difference. Say 1 screen is from samsung and the other from... who knows what.
This seems likely. They're all IPS, but color temperature is still a toss-up until/unless they unify manufacturing components. Thankfully I got the cooler temp.

sorabora

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the case of the 3DS, it was glue causing the yellow tint due to the screens being freshly produced, which eventually went away on its own. Not sure if it's the same case here but @sorabora I would check again in a few weeks and see if it goes away on its own, it could just be the glue.

@The Real Jdbye Is this something I can make go faster? e.g., leaving the system on 24x7 for the first week or so? thanks!

Last edited by sorabora,

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
happens with all lcd. I see it alot on cellphones but they normally have an option to adjust the color until you get something you like.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen 3ds do this and not sure what causes it or if there is a fix. My switch is like the top one. How does it look when running a game?

I remember when some 3DSs were doing this. As I recall many of the O3DS XL's had the yellow tint to them. I believe it was due to them using a different type screen or something like that. I feel fortunate that neither my original 3DS or N3DS XL or Switch have ever had this effect going on. I don't know what Nintendo's deal is at a manufacturing level, but really they need to standardize everything and keep it consistent. Its incredibly frustrating as it is that when you get a N3DS, you can't tell until you play it if you have TN or IPS screens or some combination of both. That simply shouldn't be a thing.

Last edited by duffmmann,

scart35

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Like you said - unscientific. Without side by side comparison with the same second switch in the OP, this just auto white balance compensating for yellowish screen.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I've seen this in phones, caused by too much adhesive
I've seen this in phones time and time again, this doesn't have anything to do with adhesives, it's perfectly normal. Fresh screens show a warmer temperature for a couple of days/weeks. People always freak out about that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM