Hacking Nintendo Switch Banning Hub & Warning

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Jumping the gun on SX is the problem might be a bit soon. We simply do not know what and how.
What I am going to look into is if I can get my error logs to see what they contain because my bet is on something in that segment.

On a quick side note I was looking into how you can see your purchase history when you have an console ban and can not access the eshop.
You can find all transactions here; https://ec.nintendo.com/my/#/transactions/1 (up to 2 years of info, ps the link might be different for US / JP not sure.)

brokenx17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Jumping the gun on SX is the problem might be a bit soon. We simply do not know what and how.
What I am going to look into is if I can get my error logs to see what they contain because my bet is on something in that segment.

On a quick side note I was looking into how you can see your purchase history when you have an console ban and can not access the eshop.
You can find all transactions here; https://ec.nintendo.com/my/#/transactions/1 (up to 2 years of info, ps the link might be different for US / JP not sure.)

I'm convinced that by just using SX OS or purely homebrew is detectable and will be subjected for a ban.
It's just a matter of time.
If you go online even once, of course. It will eventually happen.

Rbugs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ban? Y
SX used? Y
SX used while online? Y
Played SX Backups online? N
If Yes, do you have a certificate/header ban (look for error code 2124-4025)? N
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? 1.0-1.3
Non-TX Layered FS Used? N
Non-TX Layered FS Used while online? N
Played online w/ Non-TX Layered FS Injects? N

Used DevMenu? Y
Installed any .NSP? Y
Did you go online w/ any .NSP installed? Y
Did you play any .NSP installed online? N
CDN Downloading? N
Backups updated? CFW/OFW/ Both
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? Used hekate with the all sdfiles github package to test homebrew, crashed while changing retroarch emulation settings
Connect to Internet w/ homebrew/CFW? Y
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? Y
AutoRCM? TX/Hekate? N
Did you update your firmware without burning fuses? N
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? Y

What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? Y: 5.1.0
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings? Y
Wi-Fi settings deleted? N
Airplane mode? N
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? N
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? N
Can you use the eShop from a non-Switch device? Y

Console/Account Region(s) Europe
Trimmed .XCI? Y, Some

Additional Comments:

I believe the culprit of my ban was devmenu, I got banned a few days after using it to install NSP, and updating the NSP games(in OFW)

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
Beforehand; This is for the grey area people like me who actually buy all their games but have run into a ban recently.
And no I am not judging others but I want this to be clear before people are gonna go all apeshit about it :P

Ok this might be good to note;
A console eshop ban sucks BUT downloading games from the eshop is still possible without any tricks and through normal Nintendo ways;

1 - Just purchase the game you want through your pc using your Nintendo ID on the Nintendo eshop.
2 - Then on your banned Switch; Go to your user/profile (left top of screen)
3 - Go to User Settings and select, Update Download Progress
And voila your game will still download to your console just fine. (have tried this with 3 titles just to be sure)

No Console ehsop access my ass :D

This makes the whole ban a bit better for me ... sure I miss online stuff that way.
But no fiddling with CDN downloaders title ids and so on.

Reactions: Draxzelex

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would it be wrong for me to assume that restoring an unhacked NAND removes all bannable traces (except what's already been sent to nintendo)? if this is the case, would it also be wrong for me to assume that an offline emuNAND specifically for hacking/homebrew would keep the legit online NAND safe?

(for reference, i used homebrew and crashed several times, wiped the logs offline, then restored my pre-homebrew NAND. i've been online without a ban for about a month now)

Last edited by frogboy,

reckless0-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ban? Y
If Yes, provide proof (video preferred) : Attached
SX used? Y
SX used while online? Y
If Yes, do you have a certificate/header ban (look for error code 2124-4025)? N/A
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? 1.0

Used DevMenu? Y
Installed any .NSP? Y
CDN Downloading? Y (on PC)
Backups updated? CFW/OFW (Y both)
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? Y
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? N
AutoRCM? N
Did you update your firmware without burning fuses? N
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? N

What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? N
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings? N
Airplane mode? Y/N (airplane most of the time while in SX)
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? Y
Can you use the eShop from a non-Switch device? N/A

Console/Account Region(s) USA
Trimmed .XCI? Y
Additional Comments:
I basically did everything in my power to get banned. Didn't actually try to do so but I did not care about being banned and did most of the things people recommend against when in CFW. Managed to get Pokemon Quest prior to being banned, that is the first time I linked an eShop account and I imagine that is when the ban was triggered. I only tried to go on the eShop a few days after getting Pokemon Quest to see if I was banned and I was.

**Edit**Another note and I am being as safe as possible on this. I have an untouched Switch, has a copletely different account on it than the one that was benned, and I am only using it on my phone hotspot so it doesn't touch the ip that may(I use a VPN but it may have not been on during a few occasions) have been seen on CDN. No problems on it but I have kept I completely segmented.

Attachments

• banned.jpg
    banned.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,177
Last edited by reckless0-,

Rbugs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Beforehand; This is for the grey area people like me who actually buy all their games but have run into a ban recently.
And no I am not judging others but I want this to be clear before people are gonna go all apeshit about it :P

A console eshop ban sucks BUT downloading games from the eshop is still possible without any tricks and through normal Nintendo ways;

1 - Just purchase the game you want through your pc using your Nintendo ID on the Nintendo eshop.
And voila your game will still download to your console just fine. (have tried this with 3 titles just to be sure)

This makes the whole ban a bit better for me ... sure I miss online stuff that way.

Does this work when unlinking the eshop account? Can you log in to the eshop while being banned so you can do that method?

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would it be wrong for me to assume that restoring an unhacked NAND removes all bannable traces (except what's already been sent to nintendo)? if this is the case, would it also be wrong for me to assume that an offline emuNAND specifically for hacking/homebrew would keep the legit online NAND safe?

(for reference, i used homebrew and crashed several times, wiped the logs offline, then restored my pre-homebrew NAND. i've been online without a ban for about a month now)

In general, we've not really had well-confirmed bans traced purely to homebrew, but yes emuNAND offline would be the safest, with a clean sysNAND OS.

Additional Comments:
I believe the culprit of my ban was devmenu, I got banned a few days after using it to install NSP, and updating the NSP games(in OFW)

NSPs are absolutely going to get you banned. They're extremely obvious to Nintendo, so DevMenu + NSPs shouldn't surprise if they lead to a ban.

I'm convinced that by just using SX OS or purely homebrew is detectable and will be subjected for a ban.
It's just a matter of time.
If you go online even once, of course. It will eventually happen.

Data would suggest SX OS. Tons of people do basic homebrew, in all sorts of communities, and we'd have heard about bans from that but we have one dubiously-unconfirmed ban for purely homebrew. Given how much of all the other data we have, I'd say there's some significance. Nintendo may just not be banning for homebrew even if they see it or errors from it because it doesn't impact them. But SX OS is a red flag that they can't tell apart in how its used.

This was why I was suggesting just getting a new Switch and sticking to homebrew, you really lose nothing because we've never established a real link to pure homebrew bans. SX OS, however, has been found *many* times now to result in a ban in absence of any other known triggers.

brokenx17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates

lol Nintendo! :rofl2: Thanks for the tip buddy.
Now I can download my purchased games regardless. :evil:

In general, we've not really had well-confirmed bans traced purely to homebrew, but yes emuNAND offline would be the safest, with a clean sysNAND OS.

NSPs are absolutely going to get you banned. They're extremely obvious to Nintendo, so DevMenu + NSPs shouldn't surprise if they lead to a ban.

Data would suggest SX OS. Tons of people do basic homebrew, in all sorts of communities, and we'd have heard about bans from that but we have one dubiously-unconfirmed ban for purely homebrew. Given how much of all the other data we have, I'd say there's some significance. Nintendo may just not be banning for homebrew even if they see it or errors from it because it doesn't impact them. But SX OS is a red flag that they can't tell apart in how its used.

This was why I was suggesting just getting a new Switch and sticking to homebrew, you really lose nothing because we've never established a real link to pure homebrew bans. SX OS, however, has been found *many* times now to result in a ban in absence of any other known triggers.

or, just don't go online at all and make a nand backup on stock firmware before doing anything.
i could've done that but too lazy to even care so yeah

Reactions: PatrickD85

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
lol Nintendo! :rofl2: Thanks for the tip buddy.
Now I can download my purchased games regardless. :evil:
I was as suprised as you where that this just works ... but hey ... im not complaining ;)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Does this work when unlinking the eshop account? Can you log in to the eshop while being banned so you can do that method?
Hmm that is a good question, I had it linked already but lost my consoles acces.
On a pc I could just connect.
it might but honestly im not risking unlinking and not being able to connect it at this point ;)

If you are in such a situation already ... please try it.
But my fair guess would be NO as it does rely on a device linked to the account.

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Really, Nintendo? Welp, there goes suggesting everyone to use eXhop. In other news, eXhop is actually useless.

I am quite curious to see if this can stave off bans as literally nothing so far has worked. I would recommend you or anyone else trying this out because this is the only thing that has not been confirmed to be safe or not.

Just some other things I wanted touch on after reading everyone's comments...
  • I won't blame SX OS for some of these "homebrew only" bans as there's other factors to take into account, the biggest of which is playing backups. What I will say is that I find it funny how these seemingly homebrew only bans occur using SX OS and not with Atmosphere so far combined with the fact that Atmosphere has better homebrew compatibility than SX OS and it might make more sense to just run all homebrew using Atmosphere. But that's just my two cents
  • For those of you keeping score at home, seems like blocking that GDPR thing is definitely nowhere near enough to snuff out Nintendo. Makes sense since it is designed to block personal data from being transmitted but that type of stuff shouldn't be on the console to begin with and they can ban you without knowing your real name is Bob Smith.

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
Really, Nintendo? Welp, there goes suggesting everyone to use eXhop. In other news, eXhop is actually useless.
Nah eXhop has it merits I guess ... just not for legal reasons :P
But I was really surprised this worked. Still a good find came out of me getting banned ;)

shadoom

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Ban? Y
If Yes, provide proof (video preferred)
SX used? Y
SX used while online? Y
If Yes, do you have a certificate/header ban (look for error code 2124-4025)? N
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? 1.3

Used DevMenu? Y
Installed any .NSP? Y
CDN Downloading? N
Backups updated? OFW
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? Y(ftpd)
AutoRCM? briccmii
Did you update your firmware without burning fuses? Y
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? Y

What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? N
Airplane mode? sxos had airplane ofw not
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? Y

Console/Account Region(s) EU
Trimmed .XCI? N
Additional Comments: 2124-4007

Bartesco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Ban? N
SX used? N
SX used while online? N
Non-TX Layered FS Used? Y

Used DevMenu? N
Installed any .NSP? N
Did you go online w/ any .NSP installed? N
CDN Downloading? N
Backups updated? N
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? Y, LayeredFS mode on hekate and Homebrew Menu, used Checkpoint and GagOrder
Connect to Internet w/ homebrew/CFW? N
AutoRCM? Hekate
Did you update your firmware without burning fuses? Y, 4.1.0 --> 5.1.0
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? Y, the "Don't Share Usage Information"

What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? Y: 4.1.0 and 5.1.0
Airplane mode? Y
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? N
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? Y

Console/Account Region Europe (Spain)
Trimmed .XCI? Y
Additional Comments I never connect to Internet in Layered FS mode, I always do it running the Switch with "Stock + Clear Logs" on hekate

tricursor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got SXOS in the mail and before reading any of this, enabled rcm and ran the SXOS on my switch. Did not have airplane mode enabled due to the license activation. I read this and immediately disabled rcm and removed all traces from my microsd card. Guess we'll see. If I'm not banned in a week I guess I'll go out and get another switch for homebrew only. Didn't realize Nintendo was going to be so strict about it. Makes sense, just never had to deal with anything similar in the past.

edit: Wasn't clear from my message but i didn't run or install any homebrew or backups. Literally started it, then immediately uninstalled.

Last edited by tricursor,

Digitalcat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ban? // N
SX used? // Y
SX used while online? // Y
Played SX Backups online? // N
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? // 1.3
Non-TX Layered FS Used? // N
Non-TX Layered FS Used while online? // N
Played online w/ Non-TX Layered FS Injects? // N
Used DevMenu? // N
Installed any .NSP? // Y
Did you go online w/ any .NSP installed? // N
Did you play any .NSP installed online? // N
CDN Downloading? // N
Backups updated? // N
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? // Checkpoint / Hekate
Connect to Internet w/ homebrew/CFW? // Y
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? // Y
AutoRCM? // TX
Did you update your firmware without burning fuses? // Y
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? // Y to Don't Share Usage Information
What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? Y: // 4.0.1
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings? // Y
Wi-Fi settings deleted? // N
Airplane mode? // Y when loading NSP in CFW
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? // N
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? // Y
Can you use the eShop from a non-Switch device? // Y
Console/Account Region(s) // Europe / Asia
Trimmed .XCI? // N

Have had both switches for quite a while now, using my European one mostly for cfw and playing NSP installed games, doing all of that offline of course and when playing online, on legitimate games, I just run without SX. No ban so far. Used checkpoint as well for Splatoon 2

Last edited by Digitalcat,

Digitalcat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ban? // N
SX used? // Y
SX used while online? // Y
Played SX Backups online? // N
Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? // 1.3
Non-TX Layered FS Used? // N
Non-TX Layered FS Used while online? // N
Played online w/ Non-TX Layered FS Injects? // N
Used DevMenu? // N
Installed any .NSP? // Y
Did you go online w/ any .NSP installed? // N
Did you play any .NSP installed online? // N
CDN Downloading? // N
Backups updated? // N
Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? // Checkpoint
Connect to Internet w/ homebrew/CFW? // Y
Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? // Y
AutoRCM? // TX
Did you update your firmware without burning fuses? // Y
receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? // Y to Don't Share Usage Information
What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? Y: // 4.0.1
Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings? // Y
Wi-Fi settings deleted? // N
Airplane mode? // Y when loading NSP in CFW
Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? // N
Can you use the eShop on the Switch? // Y
Can you use the eShop from a non-Switch device? // Y
Console/Account Region(s) // Europe / Asia
Trimmed .XCI? // N

Have had both switches for quite a while now, using my European one mostly for cfw and playing NSP installed games, doing all of that offline of course and when playing online, on legitimate games, I just run without SX. No ban so far. Used checkpoint as well for Splatoon 2

Oops forgot to add in lad, I did use Hekate prior to SX

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs