Hacking Nintendo Switch Banning Hub & Warning

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Additional Comments
I also used a theme I made myself, as well as modded my Splatoon save a few months back but other than that I can't think of a reason I was banned since I didn't install any NSPs or anything like that
This alone is sufficient evidence that you modded your console and have warranted a ban. If you read above, other people have reported simply touching their Splatoon 2 save file and were banned subsequently. .NSP files are one of the few reasons people get banned including but not limited to: LayeredFS, .XCI usage, and bogus error reports (both having and clearing them).

NorthHopper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This alone is sufficient evidence that you modded your console and have warranted a ban. If you read above, other people have reported simply touching their Splatoon 2 save file and were banned subsequently. .NSP files are one of the few reasons people get banned including but not limited to: LayeredFS, .XCI usage, and bogus error reports (both having and clearing them).
I understand it was likely why I was banned, I just thought I'd note that those were likely the main reasons as I hadn't messed around with installing NSPs. The only odd thing is that the last time I touched my Splatoon 2 save file was probably 3-4 months ago.

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand it was likely why I was banned, I just thought I'd note that those were likely the main reasons as I hadn't messed around with installing NSPs. The only odd thing is that the last time I touched my Splatoon 2 save file was probably 3-4 months ago.
The way Splatoon 2 works is that the save file is uploaded automatically when you go online. So once you connected online, Nintendo saw the save file was tampered with and swung down the ban hammer.

Reactions: NorthHopper

NorthHopper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The way Splatoon 2 works is that the save file is uploaded automatically when you go online. So once you connected online, Nintendo saw the save file was tampered with and swung down the ban hammer.
So would that mean that it was more of a ban wave thing then? Like I said the time I modded it was 3-4 months ago, but I've only just been banned as of sometime this week, and with something like Splatoon 2 I'd expect them to ban people for doing that instantly rather than in a wave

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So would that mean that it was more of a ban wave thing then? Like I said the time I modded it was 3-4 months ago, but I've only just been banned as of sometime this week, and with something like Splatoon 2 I'd expect them to ban people for doing that instantly rather than in a wave
I think I've reported several bans starting when firmware 6.0.1 so may likely be a banwave. There was another surge of ban reports when firmware 6.0 was dropped as well.

NorthHopper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think I've reported several bans starting when firmware 6.0.1 so may likely be a banwave. There was another surge of ban reports when firmware 6.0 was dropped as well.
I was on 6.0 when I got banned but the 6.0.1 update was out and waiting to be installed to my system, so I'm assuming it was when the 6.0.1 update was pushed out that I was banned

AgentSkyblueM7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was on 6.0 when I got banned but the 6.0.1 update was out and waiting to be installed to my system, so I'm assuming it was when the 6.0.1 update was pushed out that I was banned

I also found myself banned on 6.0, but I also had it on sleep mode for over a week. To be fair, I also had ReiNX installed without knowing about putting it into airplane mode or whatever. Even then, I’m not sure if they actually detected it, because I was still able to at least update to 6.0.1.

NorthHopper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I also found myself banned on 6.0, but I also had it on sleep mode for over a week. To be fair, I also had ReiNX installed without knowing about putting it into airplane mode or whatever. Even then, I’m not sure if they actually detected it, because I was still able to at least update to 6.0.1.
That's an odd coincidence, mine also sat in sleep mode for about a week before I turned it on today to find I was banned

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will be careful with my wording in this post and it may seem obvious to some, but anyway here goes...

I've been thinking back to events prior to my very recent ban, please take into account my switch has been offline and unused since roughly July.

In July I wanted to dump all my consoles unique keys which I did by following the guide on here, I also decided hell while I'm at it I'm gonna dump my own console's unique cert whilst I am at it. However this guide was a little more taxing on my ageing brain so I decided to ask a well known but friendly dev on a Discord channel if he knew of an automated way of doing it.

Straight away he explained that if I were to upload my prodinfo files to his Discord 'bot' and use a specific command it would dump my cert for me. I went ahead and after a couple of attempts it did dump my cert and I downloaded it.

Almost immediately after doing this I thought that I had probably acted a bit foolishly, after all I don't know this person very well and I dunno what they do with all these certs, if they get stored somewhere etc...

The person gave his word that nothing is stored on his server, this I have to take at face value because I cannot prove it either way at this point. I will however add that this person no longer responds to my messages since me bringing this up with them (the ban that is). This same person was involved in developing cdn tools which does leave some doubts in my mind.
I am not making any accusations, hence not naming names, although I'm sure some can figure it out.

Moral of the story, be careful who you share unique and important files and information with. In my case it may not have been as a result of anything nefarious on the part of this person, but who is to know for absolute certain.

In hindsight if I could go back and not have done this then I certainly would.

Last edited by peteruk,

lufeig

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
face it: you hacked your console, you violated the EULA, nintendo punished you because of that.

don't blame others for your banning. nobody forced you to hack it, no matter if someone used your certs or not.

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
face it: you hacked your console, you violated the EULA, nintendo punished you because of that.

don't blame others for your banning. nobody forced you to hack it, no matter if someone used your certs or not.

I imagine you expected me to bite on that that

Anyway, it wasn't a post blaming anybody, it was a post giving others a heads up about using automated bot's provided by others

I bet if you keep trying hard enough you'll get a rise out of someone :blink:

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This same person was involved in developing cdn tools which does leave some doubts in my mind.
I am not making any accusations, hence not naming names, although I'm sure some can figure it out.
Look at it in a positive way. If your cert was used for CDN, of course, it was a ban waiting to happen, but you contributed immensely to the scene and provided free games for countless of your fellow gamers. That's something, you know. I'm not even being sarcastic. You gave back to the community and should be proud of it.

Reactions: peteruk

krkk123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Everyone! I don't know if this is the proper place to ask or i should be in a different thread.

I just bought my Switch XAW1007 and my son already owns a older Switch XAW1002.

Both of our switches are virgin systems, my FW is 4.0.1 and Son's 6.0.1:

I just purchased the SX Pro and waiting to receive it, while waiting for this to be shipped:

1. What can i do to future proof my systems? Is there a link to saving your virgin FW?
2. Should i update my Switch to 6.0.1 before I do the SX Pro hack?
3. Can my son and I play against each other with our backed up games like MarioKart, without getting banned?
4. At this time, my system is not even connected with a Nintendo account, can i add one now?
5. What is the best memory card speed/size to use with my backed up games?
6. Can i update my games or get DLC, if they are in a backed up state?
7. While running SX OS, should i keep our switches in Airplane Mode? or delete Wifi all together?

Sorry for so many questions, i am looking through the forums for my answers, but thought i would ask here as well. Excited to be part of this community.

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Everyone! I don't know if this is the proper place to ask or i should be in a different thread.

I just bought my Switch XAW1007 and my son already owns a older Switch XAW1002.

Both of our switches are virgin systems, my FW is 4.0.1 and Son's 6.0.1:

I just purchased the SX Pro and waiting to receive it, while waiting for this to be shipped:

1. What can i do to future proof my systems? Is there a link to saving your virgin FW?
2. Should i update my Switch to 6.0.1 before I do the SX Pro hack?
3. Can my son and I play against each other with our backed up games like MarioKart, without getting banned?
4. At this time, my system is not even connected with a Nintendo account, can i add one now?
5. What is the best memory card speed/size to use with my backed up games?
6. Can i update my games or get DLC, if they are in a backed up state?
7. While running SX OS, should i keep our switches in Airplane Mode? or delete Wifi all together?

Sorry for so many questions, i am looking through the forums for my answers, but thought i would ask here as well. Excited to be part of this community.
  1. Dump the NAND (eMMC raw GPP) and boo0/boot1 with Hekate
  2. You don't need to. All games are currently supported with firmware 5.1 although eventually games will need firmware 6.0. You also need to be on firmware 6.0 to play online but its not a good idea to play with a hacked console online
  3. If you play locally, yes
  4. Yes
  5. The bigger, the better however be wary of fake SD cards. If its too good to be true, its most likely a fake
  6. Yes, if you install their respective update and DLC as .NSP files using a title installer such as Tinfoil or n1dus
  7. Deleting Wi-Fi is more imperative than enabling Airplane Mode as Airplane Mode can get disabled when switching between handheld/docked/sleep modes. Airplane Mode is important if you wish to block connections with Nintendo Hotspots which are hard-coded into the system. Alternatively, you can setup a custom DNS server such as 90DNS to block all Nintendo-related traffic

krkk123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Dump the NAND (eMMC raw GPP) and boo0/boot1 with Hekate
  2. You don't need to. All games are currently supported with firmware 5.1 although eventually games will need firmware 6.0. You also need to be on firmware 6.0 to play online but its not a good idea to play with a hacked console online
  3. If you play locally, yes
  4. Yes
  5. The bigger, the better however be wary of fake SD cards. If its too good to be true, its most likely a fake
  6. Yes, if you install their respective update and DLC as .NSP files using a title installer such as Tinfoil or n1dus
  7. Deleting Wi-Fi is more imperative than enabling Airplane Mode as Airplane Mode can get disabled when switching between handheld/docked/sleep modes. Airplane Mode is important if you wish to block connections with Nintendo Hotspots which are hard-coded into the system. Alternatively, you can setup a custom DNS server such as 90DNS to block all Nintendo-related traffic
Thanks for the fast reply sir! I have a followup question:
2. I have FW 4.0.1, Do i need to upgrade it since you said most games are 5.1 and up?

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Dra, do you know is there any case has been banned using stealth mode or 90dns? Thanks.
No because they mimic Airplane Mode in that they restrict online services but only related to Nintendo meaning its impossible to be banned for using it. Instead, users will be banned once they stop using it. In other words, usage of 90DNS and/or Stealth Mode should hold no bearing on whether or not you get banned.

Reactions: thaikhoa

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In terms of safety, what is the difference between the clean-nand method in the "Best Way to Avoid Bans" section, versus a proper emunand? I saw someone say the emunand would be safer, but why is that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass