Nintendo SUED, again

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's that time again, time for Nintendo to be sued by some small, unknown company looking for some cash, and maybe some fame.

This time around, it's for the Wii's Wiimote controller, as Motiva a small Ohio based company claims a they patented a "'Human Movement Measurement System' comprising a hand-held tracking device in communication with a base station that can be used to create an interactive gaming experience" in 2004. They were granted the patent in 2007.

SoulAnger

MENUdo's Developer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'll give ya 5 USDs that nintendo will win
tongue.gif

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the Wii came out in 2006 and was shown in 2005, I don't see how having a patent in 2007 means a whole heck of a lot. And that's the date that matters.

Beyond that, there are several ways one could do a wiimote that are different from Nintendo's.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
actually, I think its the date of application that matters, hence the term "pat pending"

whatever, you just know nintendo will settle out of court, simply because if this company does win the case (no matter how small the chance) they would be granted massive damages (think $5-$10 for every wii ever sold)

as for other ways to do it, i have a headset that works on virtually the same principle as the wiimote for pc that came out in like 1998

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Those dudes are just attention seekers. They're crazy trying to sue Nintendo. Nintendo has the cash and name(as in Nintendo is well known all over the world) while they're just some random people without any status....

Cyberxion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ferrariman said:
It's that time again, time for Nintendo to be sued by some small, unknown company looking for some cash, and maybe some fame.

This time around, it's for the Wii's Wiimote controller, as Motiva a small Ohio based company claims a they patented a "'Human Movement Measurement System' comprising a hand-held tracking device in communication with a base station that can be used to create an interactive gaming experience" in 2004. They were granted the patent in 2007.
Patent laws are complex, but it would seem that if I understand whatever the hell I just read on the matter, Motiva may have a case, even if it turns out that they're a non-practicing entity. If I'm right, then once a patent is granted, it becomes valid for 20 years after the filing date. Which would mean that even though the patent was granted in 2007, it was became valid as of 2004. So the onus would be on Nintendo to prove that they patented the tech before Motiva filed for their patent.

Now with that having been said, this sort of thing sickens me. Patent trolls are opportunistic bastards who bend and twist patent laws to meet their own selfish ends. Motiva might technically be in the right, but the patent system needs to be revised to deal with bullshit like this. I say that it should be manditory that once a company or entity files a patent, they have to do something with it within a certain period or risk losing it. Too many cases like this have popped up in recent years, in which a company will file a wide-reaching patent and then sit on it until someone inevitably creates similar tech, then sue for big money. That is a gross misuse of the patent system, and should be discouraged, if not outright punished.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Upperleft said:
Oh gawd
they don't notice things till it becomes popular
+1

Ooh I think we have the same tech as the Wiimote. Let's sue them to get monay monayyyyy....

This reminds me: Did Nintendo win against that lawsuit about the add-ons (Nunchuk, Classic Controller, GC Controller)?

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Upperleft said:
Oh gawd

Thats what they do all the time, they also have threatened Pokesav, that application that mods you pokemon diamond and pearl saves, why do they always do that?
frown.gif

Cyberxion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R2DJ said:
Upperleft said:
Oh gawd
+1

Ooh I think we have the same tech as the Wiimote. Let's sue them to get monay monayyyyy....

This reminds me: Did Nintendo win against that lawsuit about the add-ons (Nunchuk, Classic Controller, GC Controller)?
I think that it's currently in appeal. Nintendo can keep selling them pending results of said appeal.

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
Trophies
XP
Country
Ferrariman said:

I swear I heard this exact story last year...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Every so often they only come around like once a year