Nintendo sends DMCA notices for "syspatch-updater" homebrew app by iTotalJustice

AngryMario.jpg

Nintendo is back at it again with their latest and most well known franchise, the DMCA, and this time they went after quite a handful of GitHub repositories with their DMCA strikes.

The latest and most notable repository attacked by Nintendo's DMCA is the "sigpatch-updater" homebrew application by iTotalJustice (alongside all of its forks) just a few days ago. This isn't the first time for iTotalJustice however, since he got another DMCA takedown previously for the standalone "sipatches" repository before back in 2022. The application worked as its title implies, by basically updating the signature patches from within the Nintendo Switch console itself. This seems like yet another instance of Nintendo trying to stomp on any kind of possibility to run unsigned software on a homebrewed Nintendo Switch, be it actual homebrew applications or pirated ones. Even though the source code is down, the patcher itself seems to still be hosted in other websites, alongside other DMCA taken-down tools.

Unfortunately, "sigpatch-updater" isn't the only software hit with the latest attacks by Nintendo and its crusade against copyright-circumvention tactics, as Incognito_RCM by ScandalUK (this one still being live at the time of writing), kezplez-nx by shchmue, and another fork of Lockpick_RCM by SpaceNX have also been the target for Nintendo's DMCA, adding up to the instances of Nintendo going after homebrew projects for the Nintendo Switch, with one of the first reported being the original Lockpick_RCM, which got being taken down last year with a DMCA notice by Nintendo's lawyers, claiming the same copyright circumvention tactic.

With all of the current legal events taking place in regards to Nintendo both in regards to homebrew apps and Switch emulator Yuzu, it's most likely that they will continue to scour the internet and GitHub repositories for any kind of semblance of alleged copyright-circumvention methods, applications, or even guides to dump Switch keys of any sort. The legal clarity regarding fair and personal use when it comes to copyright-protected technological devices are still unclear to make any kind of counter-claim against their DMCA notices.

:arrow: iTotalJustice GitHub
:arrow: DMCA notice for the "sigpatch-updater" repository
:arrow: DMCA notices for Lockpick_RCM, Incognito_RCM and kezplez-nx
:arrow: "sigpatch-updater" backup at Archive.org

MikaTh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Meh, sigpatches were mostly for piracy, Nintendo is right in doing this.
yeah, totally right to burn money into chasing ppl who either don't have their console to play their games, or aren't costumers anyway, instead of allocating said money to stuff that would make them millions of dollars like... i don't know, giving pc players the pc version of their games in a better hardware? I'm trully baffled not only with nintendo's stubborness on keeping to actively spend money in something that doesn't pay back, but also on ppl bootlicking for them, while they give their playerbase the middle finger.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm more confused why they took THIS long to even go after all this stuff this hard. It's like the 8th year of the Switch. lol

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Nintendo seems to think that DMCAing these things makes them go away. That's not how the Internet works, Nintendo. In fact, it brings more publicity to them, and people will just download them from a different source. So thanks for advertising homebrew/hacking tools, I guess.

Notice how Lockpick_RCM can still easily be found on GitHub and still works perfectly. That takedown did nothing.

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nintendo seems to think that DMCAing these things makes them go away. That's not how the Internet works, Nintendo. In fact, it brings more publicity to them, and people will just download them from a different source. So thanks for advertising homebrew/hacking tools, I guess.

Notice how Lockpick_RCM can still easily be found on GitHub and still works perfectly. That takedown did nothing.
I think it's more about sending a message to the people who make the tools that they have power over them and can sue in the future.

Quore

Racing Games Enjoyer
Trophies
Website
music.youtube.com
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm just gonna leave this here and wont say anything else

1000087925.jpg

Post automatically merged:

This is why the Switch 2 was delayed.
You think they delayed the Switch 2 for basically a year to like... Reinforce its security? :unsure:

Last edited by Quore,

Ducolamia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo abusing DMCA? Absolutely shocked (sarcasm).

Anyways, I give it a week before a mirror or alternative pops up.

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I truly believe this is caused by MIG. This cart-hack has disrupted Nintendo's retail game business. People can ripped the games and license keys then returned them back to Amazon or game stores. The duplicated keys will hurt legitimate consumers who bought these games.

Nintendo can't get MIG in Russia, so they vented their anger on emulator devs and homebrewers.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm just gonna leave this here and wont say anything else

View attachment 425997

You think they delayed the Switch 2 for basically a year to like... Reinforce its security? :unsure:
But we're talking about Nintendo here. They have no idea how to make a good service.

I truly believe this is caused by MIG. This cart-hack has disrupted Nintendo's retail game business. People can ripped the games and license keys then returned them back to Amazon or game stores. The duplicated keys will hurt legitimate consumers who bought these games.

Nintendo can't get MIG in Russia, so they vented their anger on emulator devs and homebrewers.
How many people even bought a MIG? I barely see anybody talking about it. I doubt the small amount of MIG owners have had any significant impact, but I'm sure Nintendo are still bothered by it nonetheless because they're greedy fucks.

At least where I live, returns are only accepted for sealed games. And that is pretty much standard nation wide, and has been for as long as I can remember. Obviously with disc based games it was a much bigger problem but there is still good reason not to allow returns on opened games these days.
For one, even on a platform where piracy isn't possible, you could still play through a game in a matter of days/weeks and then return it, and you could easily make a habit of doing this with every new console game release. There's too much potential for abuse.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4