Nintendo reportedly has added an anti-cheat method to Splatoon 2

KxhPOrPKs5bXWNZHKmP4jvvjRSevwnF3.jpg

A few weeks ago, it was reported that a Splatoon 2 hacker had utilized an over-the-top method to beg Nintendo to add anti-cheat to their game. He had broken the leaderboards by hacking them to show the top results as "Please, Add, Anti, Cheat", making an attempt to get attention to the matter, and asking Nintendo to do something, whilst getting banned in the process. Coverage of the incident made its way to multiple gaming sites, but after the initial incident, it was assumed that nothing happened.

Now, according to the Splatoon Modding Hub, as of a little over a month ago, Nintendo actually did implement an anti-cheat for Splatoon 2. While the anti-cheat method had been in place, reportedly, it was merely in a test phase, until being rolled out as of recently. Starting the game with any mods present and going online will supposedly "flag" your console, and after a day, Nintendo will ban you.

Nintendo has introduced integrity checks in Splatoon 2 since version 3.1.0. [...]
(Khangaroo from Splatoon Modding Hub) has discovered this, I am now publishing this post. For Nintendo's sake, I won't be going into detail about how it works as of yet. It seems that bans are applied one day after the game flags you.

Beware: the game will flag you regardless if you use the mods online. Simply starting the game with edits is enough to flag you.

The following activites are probably still safe:

• Model edits
  • Music replacement
  • Text mods
  • Save edits, provided what you are doing can be considered as legitimate
  • and more...
Note that the above activites aren't guaranteed to be safe in the future.

:arrow: Source

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tend to lose in online games. either the players are much better than I am or they cheat. I did buy splatoon 2 though. I just haven't gotten around to playing it. I'm glad to see something done about this. cheaters ruined my experience with pso. :-/

Reactions: Subtle Demise

zeveroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad to see Nintendo is doing something about the online cheaters .I hope they assholes get perma-banned and the consoles get bricked .offline cheating is find in my book. It's the pricks that can't play fair with others that grinds my gears.

Reactions: RitchieRitchie

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good, good. It just needed the release of the second iteration of the game and then some months more to add anti-cheat features to a game that is build around multiplayer. Good, good. Nothing strange here.

(At least now they did, but client-side checks aren't that helpful)
Well they like to pretend the console will never be hacked.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the server should be detecting the cheating. enough with the p2p shit. like oh look his paint is not decreasing must be cheating, here's your console ban noob

Reactions: Bladexdsl

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
With the recent developments, one would be inclined to believe Nintendo actually hired a cyber security and operations firm, just 15 years after that became industy standard.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheaters ruined Mario Kart on the 3ds. The bastards.
Well, there are two types of MK7 (and MKW) hackers: troll hackers, and FTW hackers. Troll hackers generally use item wheel hacks to make the game more interesting (throw tons of bob-ombs, spam green shells, etc.) but they keep it fair and make sure they get last place. FTW hackers are the ones you hate, they use their hacks to guarantee they will win :(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'll never go online
Beware: the game will flag you regardless if you use the mods online. Simply starting the game with edits is enough to flag you.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
The real question is, why did it take THIS long to implement something that should have been there from the very beginning. It baffles my mind.

Alex4nder001

Part-time thug
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well... I can't say I'm happy, seeing that I'm a huge hacker myself (Xray in Minecraft, Infinite money in GTA Online)... But I agree that players shouldn't be allowed to ruin the fun of others.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The real question is, why did it take THIS long to implement something that should have been there from the very beginning. It baffles my mind.
I'm sure implementing a swift and effective anti-cheat that never falsely flags users isn't easy, and takes a lot of time and testing.
Granted they did have a lot of time do so, let's just be glad it's in now.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
When someone needs to get banned in order to point a company to flaws in their software.

Gg, Nintendo. I would guess for such a contribution the guy hacking the leaderboards deserves a second chance.
This was added BEFORE the guy hacked the leaderboards. It just wasn't activated at that time because they were still testing it.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
gg Nintendo.
i only once have witnessed cheaters personally.

that was once in MK8 (WiiU) but even in that one time i felt rly rly annoyed and it pissed me off so bad.

i was just thinking about those cheaters how they probably ruin the games for so many others, and i also feel like it's a breach of sort like it made me feel uncomfortable.

cheaters should stay the f away from multiplayer.
it's a disgusting act and i don't see where the fun is by ruining the game for others.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Interesting. The macphone +2