Pigwooly

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I heard a rumor that Nintendo isn't really working on any first party DS games right now and looking at Hadrian's 2008 release list, this seems likely. Does anyone know where this rumor came from or have a link to a press release or something? I'm curious why Nintendo would do this when the DS makes them so much money. Are they just putting all their energy into the Wii since so many people complain about how few top notch Wii games there are?

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious why Nintendo would do this when the DS makes them so much money.

Maybe.. Just maybe..

Teh pirates have finally gotten to them.
unsure.gif

~Nero

Dylaan

Trophies
XP
Country
Or maybe they're just content with the commissions they're raking in with all the shovel-ware titles being sold under license...

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, to be honest, NDS has been around for more than 3 years now and it has just too many games for both the new customers and the older customers [remember, most people buy games, not download them] but the real problem with the Wii is the lack of quality games. Wii needs more than just crappy Wiimote compatible ports. It needs killer apps. And obviously, Nintendo is the only one that can do this. Besides, Nintendo pretty much released a game for each of their top franchises. Zelda, Metroid, Mario etc. But now, it's time to focus on Wii.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure Microsoft has never developed an Xbox or Xbox 360 game entirely and completely in-house. Just with external wholly owned studios.

Even the Mario series is getting farmed out to other developers more and more now.

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure Microsoft has never developed an Xbox or Xbox 360 game entirely and completely in-house. Just with external wholly owned studios.

Even the Mario series is getting farmed out to other developers more and more now.

Mario on Shrooms DS?
Mario Finally Learns How to Do Proper Plumbing for Wii?
Street Fighter XV: Featuring Mario?

All coming soon.

rhyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Mario on Shrooms DS?
Mario Finally Learns How to Do Proper Plumbing for Wii?
Street Fighter XV: Featuring Mario?

All coming soon.
there was mario and sonic at the olympics, did nintendo make that?

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
this might be a good thing, if you think about the most successful company in software has always been nintendo, this means without competition from nintendo that third parties can now compete for the lime light. the biggest failure of nintendo consoles is that third party support sucks, this should hopefully turn things around.

as for the focus on the wii. with so much shovelware we need nintendo to balance the books

there was mario and sonic at the olympics, did nintendo make that?

no that was a crappy sega effort

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
No developer could've made that game turn out well. Regardless of time or budget. Mario and Sonic characters are too different from each other to fit together properly, and both their main game series' don't resemble the actual olympics at all.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They do have a few in development and last year they said that there was 75 odd DS titles they were working on so maybe we'll see a few of those.

Some to come:
Nintendo Crossword
Bimoji Training (Kanji trainer, doubt it'll come outside of Japan
Wander Donkey
Kirby Ultra Super Deluxe (Though most likely its HAL who is developing it)
Some untitled Maths game

I'm sure they have some big titles to come but it is disappointing compared to other years but you see the thing is they do have so many titles on it already that they don't really need new titles at the moment, which is a shame as they have many many franchises I'd gladly see on the DS.

I am concerned that there isn't as many on the Wii as well theres Just Mario Kart, Wii Music, Animal Crossing, Wii Motor Sports Airplane & Wii Fit that will be in house developed (Smash Bros is HAL).

704jaffer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
But now, it's time to focus on Wii.

I agree, the Wii needs more than just ports, as it seems that is what it has mostly gotten in the past little while. Not that Geometry wars galaxies wasn't great (wasn't REALLY a port, but a port's distant cousing.) But Who knows, they may well be knee deep into developing a new handheld too (not that that would hold the software developers back.)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But Who knows, they may well be knee deep into developing a new handheld too (not that that would hold the software developers back.)
I doubt there'll be a new handheld until 2010 at the latest, reasons?

1. Nintendo are complacent, the DS is still doing better than any devoted game playing device out there.
2. There is no reason to, though the PSP is doing better with each year but its nowhere near to selling as much plus I doubt Sony will be doing a PSP 2 for some time now seeing that its popularity is rising.
3. Nintendo thinks that consumers will feel betrayed if they announce another handheld, a new handheld will appear when its the right time.

Most likely is that Nintendo are looking into whats right to be released in the current market before announcing anything so soon. Plus as said before, there are loads of NDS games out there and people are still buying the older titles and playing them, the Wii however people don't seem to be playing most of the games they have so thats the platform they're concentrating on.

704jaffer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I doubt there'll be a new handheld until 2010 at the latest

I agree, we won't hear about anything for a long time. That doesn't stop me from thinking that somewhere someone at nintendo is slowly cooking something up. They can't possibly have the ENTIRE company focused on just the Wii.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo needs to get cracking on an F-Zero, a traditional 2D Metroid and a Punch-Out for DS. Those are 3 games I've been wanting since the day the DS was launched. AND WHAT THE FRAK EVER HAPPENED TO DS AIR?!?

Right now, they are swimming around in piles of cash, giggling like little kids on laughing gas. They don't care what anyone wants or thinks....as long their systems keep flying off the shelves. They especially don't care what us "stupid Americans" think about anything.

Who knows, maybe we'll be surprised when the next set of game expo's roll around. Maybe they are just sitting on a few games for when sales start to slip, then they whip out the killer games to revitalize sales.

But I think what is really going on is Nintendo's typical secrecy starting to really cause a seeming lack of support, then BAM! Another tidal wave of games will appear.

As it is, they are struggling just to keep up with demands for the systems, let alone games.

Of course, being one of those "stupid Americans", I could be way off base.

704jaffer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah after being introduced to Castlevania DoS I have been waiting for another similar DS game. 2D metroid would take the cake!

Edit: Yes i know about portrait of ruin, lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu