Nintendo Power September details/reviews

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by granville, Aug 31, 2009.

Aug 31, 2009
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    September (or rather, October) issue of Nintendo power has a lot of new details on new games as well as some reviews. I'll get to the news first-

News
    -- Rabbids Go Home (DS) is a puzzle platformer with 150 puzzles over 15 levels.
    -- THQ plans on making UFC games for the Wii and handhelds according to CEO Brian Farrell
    -- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Mobilized (DS), developed by n-space, will have building to building tactical combat, vehicular hijinx and six player online.

Reviews
    -Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story – 9.5
    -NHL 2K10 (Wii) – 8.0
    -Cursed Mountain – 7.0
    -Muramasa: The Demon Blade – 8.0
    -Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga – 4.0
    -Fossil Fighters – 8.0
    -Bleach: The 3rd Phantom – 4.0
    -Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box – 8.0
    -The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road – 6.5
    -G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (Wii) – 5.0
    -Spectrobes: Origins – 5.5
    -IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey – 4.0

Review summary for each game-

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Previews-
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372745

2. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Disappointing, to say the least.

3. Maybe

Member Maybe GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Lol. How else are you going to see the story? Will it magically just appear in your head while powering on your ds? [​IMG]

4. gaboumafou

Member gaboumafou GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Wow, I'm really pumped up for Mario and Luigi 3 now. Release date is still unknown?

5. cruddybuddy

Banned cruddybuddy Group: Banned!

United States
    Or a cartoon version telling the story.

6. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    I'm only interested in Sakura Wars and the fact that I can play the game with the new English voices or the very familiar Japanese VAs for nostalgia makes it an even better buy. I used to play the Sakura Wars series when I was younger and liked it.

7. Escape

Member Escape GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    most of my favorite games get low scores so it doesn't bother me how much Bleach got, as long as I like it im satisfied [​IMG]

8. granville
    OP

United States
    No, we know. The US date for Mario & Luigi 3 was confirmed about a month ago. September 14th. IE- next month.

9. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Nice, next month I'll give that baby a try [​IMG]

10. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    14th M&L
    15th Scribblenauts

Quote from a newspaper from 09/16/09;
    "15 years old boy died from overdose gaming"

11. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Not possible, the only thing that can happen. '15 years old boy bodyclock destroyed from overdose gaming'

12. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    I wanna kill them for giving Prof Layton an 8. Repetitive story? At least it's good. I'd rather have an exciting and compelling story than some mindless story about gigantic robots or dinosaurs or some comedy story.

I just had to let my anger out. It deserves at least a 9.5 for me.

13. naglaro00

Member naglaro00 Mildly disturbed

Philippines
    Valhalla Knights on the Wii?

:3

14. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    -Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story – 9.5 -Fits what I've heard
    -Cursed Mountain – 7.0 - Matches other reviews
    -Muramasa: The Demon Blade – 8.0 - Sounds about right
    -Fossil Fighters – 8.0 About right
    -Bleach: The 3rd Phantom – 4.0 -Another bleach game?
    -Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box – 8.0 -wtf? repetitive story? Should be at least 9.
    -G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (Wii) – 5.0 - Another crap licensed game.
    -Spectrobes: Origins – 5.5 - This is far far too low. At least an 8.5

15. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    No Star Fox Wii? The rumor was a huge stretch, but it still got my hopes up a little. Oh well.

Overall, snore. A boring issue of Nintendo Power. No big breaks or reviews here.

16. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    No Scribblenauts review? :/

I'm looking forward to Mario & Luigi 3 now..

17. granville
    OP

United States
    Guild, have you even PLAYED Mario & Luigi 3? Sounds like you haven't if you think the battle system hasn't changed since the GBA game. Apart from just feeling 5x smoother and better, the huge innovation is the ability to play as Bowser. He has an entirely different play style, and the giant Bowser battles are some of the funnest and most innovative things i've seen done in ANY Mario game. The script is full of clever and brilliantly written dialog full of hilarity.

I myself love the SNES Mario RPG and it is my favorite game ever. I also hate Nintendo Power. But I also don't think you know what you're talking about. And having played Mario & Luigi 3, it's nothing like its predecessors, it's very innovative, and it deserves the score it got, even though NP are idiots and biased. It's just not mine or NP's fault that Mario games tend to be great. [​IMG]

18. dragonbladerxx1

Member dragonbladerxx1 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    OMG! call of duty modern warware mobalized online with 6 players!! awesomes! im still waiting for scribblenauts and phantasy star zero ds [​IMG]

19. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Assuming it's still the same old "Press button when close", then I'll pass. Unless they make a major change to the battle system and the overall RPG aspects of the game, I'll pass. It seems so shallow to me. You just go around, doing a bunch of timing-based commands on enemies, getting levels, etc. I mean, most RPGs are this way, but the others atleast take strategy instead of being able to time when you press A correctly. You literally jump, use crappy Bros. Attacks, and buy overalls. In other RPGs, you level up, learn tons of spells or special attacks or whatever, buy tons of armor from pants to shirts to gloves to shields to swords, and overall gain tons of depth. SMRPG had depth. Superstar Saga and Partners in Time didn't. So unless you tell me they made a major change to the core RPG aspects of the game and actually introduced strategy instead of mindless timing based commands, I'll find the same exact opinion as its predecessors.

The new gameplay elements (like Bowser) still aren't any stretch if it involves you pressing __ button at a certain time to deal big domages (that was a purposeful typo). And the script? I don't play Mario for the script. No one does. The humor is good, if you're five, like every Mario game. Sure, it may be entertaining, but it doesn't have any of the good script that SMRPG had nor the character or gamplay design. And they just throw in Fawful AGAIN? I mean, I know they had Bowser as the antagonist for, I don't know, 90% of Mario games, but c'mon people. RPGs are supposed to be about a good story, good gameplay mechanics, and lots of depth. I think Mario and Luigi games fail at every one. Yet again, this is all opinion. I know that you tried hard and put up a very convincing argument, but I guess I'm a guy who just isn't persuaded against things I truly despise. I think we can at least agree to disagree.

I'll give the game a try, that's sure fire, but I doubt it'll last a day on my card.

20. granville
    OP

United States
    I wasn't trying to put up an argument. I'm simply telling you that for one to pass judgment on a game, one must have PLAYED said game. And there's a very good reason that the game gets the high scores it does. It's great. You can dislike it if you want, just play it first. And don't expect anyone else to agree with you. OR think Nintendo sucks just because they make a game YOU don't want and everyone else likes.