Nintendo Power 6.5s Insecticide.

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by GeekyGuy, Feb 10, 2008.

Feb 10, 2008
  1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I know there's at least one or two other Tempers who've been anxiously awaiting this game, so it might come as a disappointment to learn that NP rated it rather low. According to GoNintendo, NP gave Insecticide a 6.5 in their latest issue. [​IMG]

Of course, they gave Altair's Chronicles a higher score -- at 7.5 -- than Ring of Fates (7.0), so who knows what to think. It's all just opinion...unless something in the game is broke. But I'm still quite curious about the game, and there have been many NP reviews I didn't agree with. Guess we'll know soon enough.

2. pkprostudio

Member pkprostudio No

United States
    You can't trust anybody who doesn't give a 10 for Apollo Justice! [​IMG]

And IMO, Altair's Chronicles deserves more than that.

3. Hillsy_

Member Hillsy_ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    NP gave Puzzle Quest for the DS a 4.0

So, I wouldn't pay much attention to them.

Reviews actually meant something a long time ago, but now everything is changing, money mainly being the culprit.

I think I would probably agree with the Assassin Creed review though, annoying problems - such as falling when you don't want to, dying for no apparent reason etc.. The bug where blue spheres stop appearing etc.. etc.. Not a bad idea, but not implemented well enough, thing is though - it might not be there fault. More to do with the capabilities of the DS, or the lack of.

4. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Harsh [​IMG] I'm betting it's not all that good.

Nintendo power usually gives games a much higher score than average. They have made a few mistakes in their past however

5. fateastray

Member fateastray GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Incesticide is a relitively small title, thus a low rating. If it was a firstparty-game it'd have gotten a higher rating. OR if it were a sponsor-game.

A gamespot reviewer even got fired when he low-rated Kane&Lynch, when they were a sponsor! so there.....I pay little head to reviews, when i pick a game, i usually watch a video of it..

6. NemesisHunter

Member NemesisHunter GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Who the heck reads reviews from Nintendo Power? I'm telling you right now, if you want decently written reviews or a good idea of the score a certain game should get, look no further than Gamespot or IGN.

Gamerankings is a website which compiles multiple reviews from various magazines and websites around the world, and takes the average. You would get a fair idea of what kind of the score a particular game gets on a worldwide scale.

If you sort the list based on percentage, the top end games are quite remarkably well noticed : Ocarina Of Time and Super Mario Galaxy, among others.

7. NemesisHunter

Member NemesisHunter GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    If you frequent the Gamespot forums and read Jeff's Blog (the guy who got fired), it wasn't Gamespot's fault, it was CNET (which is the head technology news oriented company that owns Gamespot). He was fired not because he rated Kane & Lynch with a low score, it's because his article was completely unprofessional, paying no heed to his professional background as a journalist and head editor in chief. Not only that, he seemingly hyped the game during the preview articles he wrote, only to bash it when the review finally came out. If anything, he was criticized by Gamespot forum users and viewers for his severe lack of professionalism. That is why he was fired.

Yet somehow people always jump the gun and spread the rumours as some infectious plague without hearing the truth from the man himself.

Gamespot is still among the most respected gaming news companies in Europe and North America : this small event only caused some turmoil which was quickly redeemed in less than a week.

8. Devante

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
  9. Upperleft

Member Upperleft Namcoholic

United Arab Emirates
    Apollo Justice: Ace Attourney - 8.0

can't wait Dx

10. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I only use reviews as a sort of base to gain knowledge about the game itself. I make my own decision as to whether a game is actually good or not as I tend to have drastically different tastes in games compared to the younger crowd.

One thing I've noticed about IGN though.....they seem to write reviews based on only a few minutes of play sometimes. I can't think of any specific examples right now (just woke up and still clearing out the cobwebs....yawn...) but they will leave out some critical gameplay elements in their reviews occasionally, which is a dead giveaway that they didn't fully explore a given game.

Insecticide does look like it may be an interesting game though.

11. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Yeah, I have thought the same thing about IGN, not least of all Mark Bozon's reviews. I've played quite a few games now that he's reviewed, and there have been factual errors in his report of a game compared to my own experience of it. And yeah, just overall, there often seems to be only a basic knowledge conveyed about a game. But I get the same impression from Nintendo Power, as well. Gamespot's the only site that really seems to steadily put in the hours that a game really demands for a good evaluation. Perhaps that's why it takes them so long to get their reviews up.

I agree with you, though, and it's pretty much my habit, too, to read reviews to gain information about them. I think IGN gave Tao's Adventure a 4, and NP gave it a 6 (or something like that), but I bought it anyway and enjoyed it for over 50 hours. If you remember, over on NSider I was talking about it a lot. At the time, there was really only two other RPG options on the DS -- Partners In Time and Lunar: Dragon Song -- and Tao's Adventure seemed, to me, to be a good option for fans looking for something to play on their DS. But those critic reviews told me what I needed to know about the game in order to decide that it was something I wanted to check out for myself. Of course, I didn't have the same luck with Rayman DS. [​IMG]

12. dakeyras

Member dakeyras GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Erm, I didn't see anything unprofessional about that article. I did not always agree with him, or many of his reviews. But god, face it, the man was fired cause he stuck his fist up the sponsor's ass. And yes, if I were gamespot, I'd dish up some bullshit story about unprofessionalism too plus give the guy a nice fucking off bonus if he cooperates with that story (or not even tell him the real reason for firing him).

13. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Just got my Nintendo Power yesterday. Full review list:

10 - Super Smash Bros Brawl (WII)
    8.0 - Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (DS)
    8.0 - No More Heroes (WII)
    7.5 - Assassin's Creed - Altair's Chronicles (DS)
    7.5 - Harvest Moon DS Cute (DS)
    7.0 - Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen And The Tower Of Mirrors (WII)
    7.0 - Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: Ring Of Fates (DS)
    7.0 - Naruto: Ninja Destiny (DS)
    7.0 - Zoo Tycoon 2 DS (DS)
    6.5 - Dungeon Explorer: Warriors Of Ancient Arts (DS)
    6.5 - Insecticide (DS)
    6.5 - Mystery Dungeon: Shiren The Wanderer (DS)
    5.0 - Bomberman Land (WII)
    3.0 - WWII Aces (WII)