GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know there's at least one or two other Tempers who've been anxiously awaiting this game, so it might come as a disappointment to learn that NP rated it rather low. According to GoNintendo, NP gave Insecticide a 6.5 in their latest issue.
frown.gif

Of course, they gave Altair's Chronicles a higher score -- at 7.5 -- than Ring of Fates (7.0), so who knows what to think. It's all just opinion...unless something in the game is broke. But I'm still quite curious about the game, and there have been many NP reviews I didn't agree with. Guess we'll know soon enough.

Hillsy_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
NP gave Puzzle Quest for the DS a 4.0

So, I wouldn't pay much attention to them.

Reviews actually meant something a long time ago, but now everything is changing, money mainly being the culprit.

I think I would probably agree with the Assassin Creed review though, annoying problems - such as falling when you don't want to, dying for no apparent reason etc.. The bug where blue spheres stop appearing etc.. etc.. Not a bad idea, but not implemented well enough, thing is though - it might not be there fault. More to do with the capabilities of the DS, or the lack of.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Harsh
frown.gif
I'm betting it's not all that good.

Nintendo power usually gives games a much higher score than average. They have made a few mistakes in their past however

fateastray

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Incesticide is a relitively small title, thus a low rating. If it was a firstparty-game it'd have gotten a higher rating. OR if it were a sponsor-game.

A gamespot reviewer even got fired when he low-rated Kane&Lynch, when they were a sponsor! so there.....I pay little head to reviews, when i pick a game, i usually watch a video of it..

NemesisHunter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Who the heck reads reviews from Nintendo Power? I'm telling you right now, if you want decently written reviews or a good idea of the score a certain game should get, look no further than Gamespot or IGN.

Gamerankings is a website which compiles multiple reviews from various magazines and websites around the world, and takes the average. You would get a fair idea of what kind of the score a particular game gets on a worldwide scale.

If you sort the list based on percentage, the top end games are quite remarkably well noticed : Ocarina Of Time and Super Mario Galaxy, among others.

NemesisHunter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
A gamespot reviewer even got fired when he low-rated Kane&Lynch, when they were a sponsor! so there.....I pay little head to reviews, when i pick a game, i usually watch a video of it..

If you frequent the Gamespot forums and read Jeff's Blog (the guy who got fired), it wasn't Gamespot's fault, it was CNET (which is the head technology news oriented company that owns Gamespot). He was fired not because he rated Kane & Lynch with a low score, it's because his article was completely unprofessional, paying no heed to his professional background as a journalist and head editor in chief. Not only that, he seemingly hyped the game during the preview articles he wrote, only to bash it when the review finally came out. If anything, he was criticized by Gamespot forum users and viewers for his severe lack of professionalism. That is why he was fired.

Yet somehow people always jump the gun and spread the rumours as some infectious plague without hearing the truth from the man himself.

Gamespot is still among the most respected gaming news companies in Europe and North America : this small event only caused some turmoil which was quickly redeemed in less than a week.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only use reviews as a sort of base to gain knowledge about the game itself. I make my own decision as to whether a game is actually good or not as I tend to have drastically different tastes in games compared to the younger crowd.

One thing I've noticed about IGN though.....they seem to write reviews based on only a few minutes of play sometimes. I can't think of any specific examples right now (just woke up and still clearing out the cobwebs....yawn...) but they will leave out some critical gameplay elements in their reviews occasionally, which is a dead giveaway that they didn't fully explore a given game.

Insecticide does look like it may be an interesting game though.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only use reviews as a sort of base to gain knowledge about the game itself. I make my own decision as to whether a game is actually good or not as I tend to have drastically different tastes in games compared to the younger crowd.

One thing I've noticed about IGN though.....they seem to write reviews based on only a few minutes of play sometimes. I can't think of any specific examples right now (just woke up and still clearing out the cobwebs....yawn...) but they will leave out some critical gameplay elements in their reviews occasionally, which is a dead giveaway that they didn't fully explore a given game.

Insecticide does look like it may be an interesting game though.

Yeah, I have thought the same thing about IGN, not least of all Mark Bozon's reviews. I've played quite a few games now that he's reviewed, and there have been factual errors in his report of a game compared to my own experience of it. And yeah, just overall, there often seems to be only a basic knowledge conveyed about a game. But I get the same impression from Nintendo Power, as well. Gamespot's the only site that really seems to steadily put in the hours that a game really demands for a good evaluation. Perhaps that's why it takes them so long to get their reviews up.

I agree with you, though, and it's pretty much my habit, too, to read reviews to gain information about them. I think IGN gave Tao's Adventure a 4, and NP gave it a 6 (or something like that), but I bought it anyway and enjoyed it for over 50 hours. If you remember, over on NSider I was talking about it a lot. At the time, there was really only two other RPG options on the DS -- Partners In Time and Lunar: Dragon Song -- and Tao's Adventure seemed, to me, to be a good option for fans looking for something to play on their DS. But those critic reviews told me what I needed to know about the game in order to decide that it was something I wanted to check out for myself. Of course, I didn't have the same luck with Rayman DS.
tongue.gif

dakeyras

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
That is why he was fired.

Erm, I didn't see anything unprofessional about that article. I did not always agree with him, or many of his reviews. But god, face it, the man was fired cause he stuck his fist up the sponsor's ass. And yes, if I were gamespot, I'd dish up some bullshit story about unprofessionalism too plus give the guy a nice fucking off bonus if he cooperates with that story (or not even tell him the real reason for firing him).

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just got my Nintendo Power yesterday. Full review list:

10 - Super Smash Bros Brawl (WII)
8.0 - Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (DS)
8.0 - No More Heroes (WII)
7.5 - Assassin's Creed - Altair's Chronicles (DS)
7.5 - Harvest Moon DS Cute (DS)
7.0 - Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen And The Tower Of Mirrors (WII)
7.0 - Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: Ring Of Fates (DS)
7.0 - Naruto: Ninja Destiny (DS)
7.0 - Zoo Tycoon 2 DS (DS)
6.5 - Dungeon Explorer: Warriors Of Ancient Arts (DS)
6.5 - Insecticide (DS)
6.5 - Mystery Dungeon: Shiren The Wanderer (DS)
5.0 - Bomberman Land (WII)
3.0 - WWII Aces (WII)

Insecticide Review said:
Insecticide tries to be a lot of things at once - platformer, shooter, and investigative adventure - which is a trick that seldom works well. To its credit, the stylish, bug-themed title puts a lot of effort into balancing all the different elements, forcing the question, "Why didn't they just make the whole game like that?" In this case, it's the investigative adventure levels, where you must interview witnesses and search crime scenes to uncover information about the case. These stages are fun and witty enough to have been the basis of the entire game. They also make excellent use of the touch screen - you examine clues and choose the questions to ask by tapping on context-sensitive images. On the other hand, the platforming and shooting stages are plagued by problems that are unfortunately somewhat typical of DS games like this - maneuvers such as strafing and accurate jumping are hard to pull off without analog control. The camera will tuck up behind you, making it difficult to plan your next jump. Overall, Insecticide suffers from environments that are too dark - I practically had to play it under my desk just to see what was going on. It might have been a conscious decision to make the game dark to help the tongue-in-cheek noir motif, but nonetheless, it's a glaring flaw. Gamecock should be commended for once again supporting a new property (the company also published Dementium), as well as for Insecticide's solid production value. With that approach, we expect great things to come from Gamecock very soon.
QUOTE(Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Review)Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 2. No, Apollo doesn't run around in a cardboard box or anything, but in both games you end up playing as a hero that's just not quite as exciting as his predecessor, even though he's got essentially all the same tricks and more, while the real hero's story unfolds in the background. With that said, the latest Ace Attorney game is an excellent continuation of the series, featuring more compelling mysteries to unravel and lots of memorable characters. The basic gameplay hasn't changed much - it's still split between point-and-click investigation phases (in which you poke around crime scenes and talk to NPCs) and courtroom phases (in which you press witnesses for more information and raise objections by presenting evidence) - and that's not a bad thing. The formula is still plenty fun, although the investigation phases seem to be lacking something now that the Psyche-Locks from the last two games have been omitted. The new touch-driven features - examining evidence in 3-D, perceiving the suspects' nervous habits, and using a variety of forensic techniques to further your investigations - are fun additions, but they're underutilized. The perception abilities are used but a handful of times, and only rarely does closely inspecting evidence reveal a crucial clue. The story, however, will keep you guessing (Ace Attorney vets will especially enjoy finding out what happened to Phoenix), and the writing is very well done. I just wish that solving the cases had left me with the same sense of satisfaction as in previous Ace Attorney games; the conclusion of each case was never as decisive as I'd have liked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls