Nintendo potentially fixes left Joy-Con desync issue

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Chary, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    nintendo-switch-joy-con-board-2.jpg

Despite a strong console launch, the Nintendo Switch has been plagued with a few issues. One of the more blatant problems being the way that many people are dealing with their left Joy-Cons desyncing, or just being relatively unstable, in terms of connection. Nintendo even made a statement on the matter, claiming it's not a widespread problem, yet still admitting to the issue existing.

Luckily, though, it seems like there's a fix for those experiencing this issue. Over at the tech related website, CNET, their writer sent their Joy-Con to be repaired at Nintendo. Afterwards, he opened it up, to see if any obvious changes were made. The left Joy-con desync conundrum has been attributed to signal interference with the antenna. In order to fix that, Nintendo applied a piece of conductive foam to his controller, completely fixing the problem. Interestingly, he proceeded to purchase another Joy-Con for comparison, finding that the circuit board has an entirely new manufacturing code, and works perfectly out of the box, hinting to the fact that Nintendo may have fixed what was wrong with the Joy-Cons now. Those that still have the issue are urged to contact Nintendo's support in your region for a repair.

:arrow: Source

2. Manurocker95

Manurocker95 Game Dev & Pokémon Master

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    Nice news! Never had desync issue with my J-Cons but it's good to know.

Troopage, damiano2712 and Xabring like this.
  3. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    That's a good thing. See the little black square in the bottom-right corner? That's conductive foam, and that repairs the thing. Additional detail: Ninty will only take 1 week to replace your Joy-Con, and all the bundles & JoyCons sold from now on Amazon are fixed.

[​IMG]

Last edited by StarTrekVoyager, Mar 22, 2017
  4. Thomas83Lin

Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

Jul 22, 2009
    United States
  5. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
  6. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    CeeDee likes this.
  7. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Well, contacting Nintendo right now... If the waiting time for talking with customer support doesn't drive crazy.

8. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Supposedly the one-wire fix resulted in a signal stronger than even the Joy-Con R, but the foam option is a good choice if you don't want to void your warranty.

Xabring likes this.
  9. Pluupy

Pluupy Woof!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    damiano2712 likes this.
  10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    My left joycon has connectivity issues so bad it makes any game unplayable in docked mode. It gets really annoying really quickly and I'm not willing to wait for a repair, I'd rather use it in handheld mode than be unable to play it for possibly weeks.
    I'm not even sitting that far away from the Switch and the only thing between it and me is my laptop.
    I'm honestly considering just doing the one-wire fix, the left Joy-Con isn't that expensive to replace anyway.
    Only problem is my triwing screwdriver is far too large and doesn't grip the screw at all. Someone suggested to use a small philips head screwdriver and said it will work, but I don't want to strip the screw. I'll probably give it a try anyway, but try not to strip the screw so badly that I won't even be able to remove it with a triwing screwdriver.
    I want to have it fixed before the Splatoon Global Testfire this weekend. :unsure:

11. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    I have not issue with the Left joycon desyncing, but Glad to know that there is a official fix now! Might not solder a new antenna (a simple copper wire) to the joy con at all.

damiano2712 likes this.
  12. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    So is this the recall we've all been waiting for?

Now I'm waiting to see what they have to say about the dock, hope that doesn't get swept under the rug.

13. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    There isn't any.

Pluupy and heartgold like this.
  14. froggestspirit

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    Day 1 update for the joycon

Xabring likes this.
  15. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Lol, I was 30 minutes in the waiting line.

16. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Better than Apples solution that said "Don't put your finger there" on the iPhone 4.

17. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    It never took me over 10 seconds to reach support. Or maybe that's cause I live in Canada instead of Europe.

18. linuxares

Aug 5, 2007
    Can't you simply email them if you have an issue with the controller?

19. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Well, perhaps it was because I am in Germany and I asked for them to speak to me in English please. (I kind of suck at German)
    In the end when they finally got to me they started by telling me "we only give support in German", to what I said "Well, no problem, lets go about it in German"... but perhaps they were delaying it because of that.
    Yes, and they actually give support in English if it is by email... But emails tend to be replied the next day, and I just wanted to chat now.

20. linuxares

Aug 5, 2007
    Oh German... why don't you wanna speak english?
    True, I think it's Nintendo UK that takescare of the support over Email. I actually don't know how it works for me, because it's a third party that is a general distributor for Nintendo since the Game & Watch, they're called Bergsala and handle all with Nintendo in Scandinavia.
    I have a feeling if I RMA, it will probably sent to a service center in Germany. Seems to very common with a lot of technical parts and especially with laptops.