Nintendo: piracy not behind poor sales

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Forstride, Oct 9, 2010.

Oct 9, 2010
  1. Forstride
    OP

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    [​IMG]

Nintendo has refused to attribute low sales of Wii and DS games solely to piracy.

In a recent investor call, CEO Satoru Iwata explained, "I do not think we should attribute bad software sales solely to piracy.

"Even with piracy, as long as we can create products which can attract attention from many consumers and which can greatly entertain them, that software can make it to the number one position of the hit software sales chart.

"So, we would like to consider it from both perspectives simultaneously. It is true there is always the influence of piracy, but it is important for us to increase the number of our consumers who are willing to shell out their money to purchase our products."

Maybe he's onto something. The phenomenal Super Mario Galaxy 2 shifted 4.09 million copies in its first five weeks on sale. Pokémon Black/White, which recently secured a perfect 40/40 from Famitsu, is rapidly approaching a similar figure in Japan alone.

Then again, maybe he's not. The excellent Metroid: Other M failed to trouble the UK all formats top 10 when it launched last month.

Iwata went on to re-emphasise that Nintendo will be making new efforts to tackle piracy on its forthcoming handheld, the 3DS.

"Of course, as a responsibility of the platform holder, we will tackle piracy. For example, when we launch new hardware, such as Nintendo 3DS, it is a good opportunity to beef up the countermeasures, and we are actually working on that now."[/p]

[​IMG] Source

2. BloodyFlame

Member BloodyFlame GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't really mind the fact that they are trying to beef up anti-piracy on the 3DS. Although I am a pirate, I will support Nintendo.

3. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    At least someone admits the truth. Piracy probably isn't responsible for all that many lost sales. 99% of pirates wouldn't buy 99% of the games they pirate; and many people who pirate the mediocre games still buy the AAA titles and those from their favourite franchises.

4. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    To be honest If I saw a game I really wanted, from a collector point of view, I would buy it. On the other hand most games are not worth it, and it is quite tempting to just download and play from the comfort of your home.

5. Knyaz Vladimir

Member Knyaz Vladimir 3DS Hacker

Canada
    Or dead titles that you can't find. I'd pay for RGC and Hatsworth, I just don't have money right now nor can I find it here.

6. Rasas

Banned Rasas Banned

United States
    Surprised they called Metroid: Other M excellent but I suppose some people like it.

7. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    Oh, Nintendo. Sure, their view on piracy is flawed and deliberate, but at least they aren't full-on blaming them for every little poor sales figure.

It looks as if good ol' Nintendo hasn't lost their drive to please the consumer with fun, masterful games. And for that, I love them. [​IMG]

8. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    if it wasnt for piracy, i wouldnt own a dreamcast, psp, gamecube, 2x wii, 2x ds, and soon a ps3 cause i can pirate now

9. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Finally they're talking sense. I always laugh when someone assumes that every download equates to a lost sale.

10. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    maybe cos other M is just a bad game? [​IMG]

11. nintendoom

Member nintendoom Nintendoom

Antarctica
    NONONO........ Nintendo just doesnt know that here in the philippines,...... all you can see is PIRATED WII Games/... execpt from other stores where all are ;legit....

12. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    'Cause everybody knows the Philippines is the entire world.

Wait...

13. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    piracy is just a small part in their poor sales, most of the blames goes to them for ignoring the hardcore and concentrating on the grandma's and casuals..

14. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Poor sales generally means the games suck, someone should tell 3rd party developers to step it the hell up with their products because Wii 3rd party games have pretty much been garbage since launch time with very few great games outside of those made by Nintendo. I honestly buy the games that are worth buying, mainly because waiting to get around AP and stuff on flash cards takes a while and I want to get right into it, even if the game is dumped a few days early, better to have a working version of a great game then a buggy bootleg.

15. referencer

Member referencer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Two good games get a lot of popularity, while one terrible game fails. Why would the terrible game do worse? WHY, IT'S ALL PIRACY'S FAULT.

At least Nintendo's taking a position of more sense than the article writer.

16. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    The topic is pretty misleading.

17. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Nintendo really needs to stop third party developers from developing shovelware. I believe number one reason attribute to poor sales is these shovelware.

18. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Maybe if you wouldn't shove a Seal of Approval to every game that passes your glance, MAYBE poor sales wouldn't be so much of an issue.

I REMEMBER WHEN THE OFFICIAL NINTENDO SEAL OF APPROVAL ACTUALLY MEANT SOMETHING!!!

19. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    While it's true when that seal was in place, we had less shovelware. But those two aren't really related. The seal just meant it wasn't buggy, glitchy or broken.

20. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    This. But that's what they said in some sort of way [​IMG]