Gaming Nintendo Network to potentially offer full 3DS game downloads?

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[aceattorney]All of you talking about the download cap are making a huge mistake..
You're assuming that the distribution will take place on the eShop.[/aceattorney]
??? Where else would it take place then? I doubt Nintendo would make a whole new application to download games when the eShop is already set up for it.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[aceattorney]All of you talking about the download cap are making a huge mistake..
You're assuming that the distribution will take place on the eShop.[/aceattorney]
??? Where else would it take place then? I doubt Nintendo would make a whole new application to download games when the eShop is already set up for it.
It's rumored that there will be a Nintendo Network app, but we don't know what it can do at the moment.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
My personal guess is that Nintendo Network will simply be an EShop update with a different name (similar to how the "Google Play Store" is an overhaul of the "Android Market" with a different name). Either that, or the Nintendo Network will be a nexus under which the EShop will be a "sector".

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That does sound cool, but personally I would perfer a standalone app, unless Nintendos gonna stop trying to shield the world from tech and just give us a NES and GB app for all the VC.

Also @Janthran, I thought the NN app was going to purely for account management and stuff.

epicCreations.or

Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, it's not a stupid idea. All I said was that the system, as of today, alongside its online architecture, is not prepared for it. Sure, you can download in snail-like speeds overnight, but do remember that keeping your system on while charging greatly decreases the battery life in the long run as batteries used in such devices are simply not manufactured to work under such conditions - they're not supposed to be charged and discharged at the same time. A PC-based architecture for downloading in a couple of minutes would be beneficial but for some reason, probably due to fear of hackers, Nintendo did not include an I/O port other than the iR one on the system, making the user juggle SD cards whenever new media needs to be uploaded or downloaded from the system, which essentially cripples connectivity. I would welcome a miniUSB port or at least a proprietary serial port of some sort on the system, would you not?

I'm not posting pure criticism, this is constructive criticism, and there is a difference. Much has to change in the network, in the firmware and perhaps in the next revision to facilitate that kind of interaction with the system.
I agree with most of this, except for that note on the battery. That doesn't seem right. I recall the information being that, while charging, the battery is charged and the system runs directly off of the power supply. This means there are no negative effects on the battery from leaving it plugged in and on overnight. If my information is wrong, please correct me, but they specifically designed the system to be left "overnight" in the dock so that it can receive additional data, so I can't see them doing this any other way.

EDIT: Ah, also, I disagree with the "snail-like [download] speeds". The 3DS supports 802.11g, which is absolutely sufficient for most any internet setup (unless you run one of those mega-fast internet setups).

AlanWeird

Trophies
XP
Country
No reason why it shouldn't really. 3DS games will always be smaller than a vita game of similar nature, and SD cards are *alot* cheaper than vitas proprietary ones.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-