Nintendo Labo announced

Nintendo has revealed the announcement they were teasing for today, and at 10 PM GMT, the Nintendo Labo was revealed to the public. Focusing on three key tenets of "make, play, and discover", the Nintendo Labo are "Toy-Cons" that consist of cardboard and can be crafted together to create things such as a little piano, house, fishing rod, and more. The Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons are then placed within them, for interactivity. To start, there will be two kits, one that's a variety kit which includes a fishing rod, 2 cars, a house, a motorbike handlebar, and a piano. The second, is a "robotic backpack suit". The products will cost $69.99 or $79.99 respectively.

Both sets will release on April 20, 2018, and Nintendo will be holding hands-on events to demo the Nintendo Labo in New York City from Feb. 2-3, and in San Francisco from Mar. 2-4. If you're interested, you can register for that here. The Labo will require folding the cardboard in order to make it form into the object you want, by following the guidlines provided in the box. Some of the creations will also have minigames that utilize the Joy-Cons, where you use the rumbling from the controller in order to know when to reel in the fishing pole. Also shown was a piano, which plays music when the cardboard keys are pressed.

zxUpDrE.png

vJcQ17Z.png

Get ready to Make, Play and Discover with Nintendo Labo! Nintendo Labo is a new line of interactive build-and-play experiences that combine DIY creations with the magic of Nintendo Switch. Available on April 20, 2018.

:arrow: Official Site

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
people are getting way to pissy over this when nintendo announced they were making an announcement they specifically said the target audience is KIDS and now a bunch of adults are crying about it all over the internet also people are saying its over priced and again this is wrong you get the standard 60 dollars for the software and then an additonal 10-20 dollars for each SET they include several carboard things to make not just one people need to seriously chill if your an adult and it doesnt appeal to you then fine but quit complaining and trying to ruin it for all the kids out there that are excited about this

Careful.. You'll get called a nintendo drone or some bullshit!

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
people are getting way to pissy over this when nintendo announced they were making an announcement they specifically said the target audience is KIDS and now a bunch of adults are crying about it all over the internet also people are saying its over priced and again this is wrong you get the standard 60 dollars for the software and then an additonal 10-20 dollars for each SET they include several carboard things to make not just one people need to seriously chill if your an adult and it doesnt appeal to you then fine but quit complaining and trying to ruin it for all the kids out there that are excited about this
Actually the robot pack is 80$ and only includes one thing to build, software is usually 40-50$ (especially for more simple games) so that's 30-40$ for the cardboard.
and lastly when telling people to chill out maybe chill out yourself first as you come across quite high strung.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So your telling me that they would like to sell people cardboard for $70 to $80!?!?!?!? I can go behind walmart get some free box's and build this shit. They must think hell we made so much money form the switch lets see if we can get away with selling people cardboard. No thank you If i wanted to spend money I have a 3D printer and i can build stuff like this they showed in that video and it only cost me $20 to $30 and it would not get missed up like cardboard would.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every modern game console has other uses too. It's what makes it even remotely competitive vs PC.
Umm... PCs do all of that and do it better. What makes a game console competitive to PC is being able to create tailored experiences that you won't get on a PC. Like the Wii did when it brought in motion controls. Or like the Switch does with its hybrid TV/Handheld nature. While PCs are very versatile and can make use of tons of different peripherals, what they don't have is a guarantee of the userbase having access to any given peripheral, and that is something a console can leverage to its advantage.

But streaming to be competitive with PC? Give me a break. If I wanted to watch Netflix on my TV, I can pull it up on my PC that's hooked into my TV. Or I can pull it up on my blu ray player that's hooked into my tv. Or I can bring it up on my Tivo that's hooked into my TV. Or I can plug my chromecast into the TV and stream it on that. Or I can just stream it directly on TV.

He's kind of right though. It's missing some basic features that can be expected from a recent console, especially since the console is doing well. Cloud Saves + VC + Netflix is overdue.
Except he's not right. "You've made a £279,99 tablet that doesn't do anything" -- it plays games. That is the #1 purpose of a game console. Anything beyond that is icing.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except he's not right. "You've made a £279,99 tablet that doesn't do anything" -- it plays games. That is the #1 purpose of a game console. Anything beyond that is icing.

Given what modern consoles can do, this is more an opinion than a fact. Many people use their console as a netflix or plex player.
It's just like saying that a phone is made for calls. This is true, but nobody expect a recent phone to be just for phone calls and I'm not even sure it's the first purpose of a phone for a lot of people.

Now I'm not saying that the Switch should necessarily have all of that, but maybe just the announced features would be good for now...

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Given what modern consoles can do, this is more an opinion than a fact. Many people use their console as a netflix or plex player.
It's just like saying that a phone is made for calls. This is true, but nobody expect a recent phone to be just for phone calls and I'm not even sure it's the first purpose of a phone for a lot of people.

Now I'm not saying that the Switch should necessarily have all of that, but maybe just the announced features would be good for now...
You're right. yes a game console's primary function is to play games. But extra features give it an edge. A large part of why the PS3 sold so well was because it could play bluray movies. Nintendo could really make the switch have a bunch of useful apps. Since you carry it around even a calendar and alarm app would be very nice, and very easy to make. Not to mention the other ones mentioned earlier :P

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

When you are out and about, you do not carry a different device that takes videos, pictures, surfs the internet and whatever, so it's nice having that on your phone. A home console is next to dozen other devices that all do multimedia. Now with the switch, it does go out and about with you. But you know what else does? The aforementioned phone which does all those multimedia things and more. You'd have to tether to your phone to get internet on there, anyways.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm just surprised Project Giant Robot actually became something.
Yeah, i was curious about whether or not the cardboard robot was spawned from the Project Giant Robot prototype. Cardboard Robot does look to have evolved quite a bit if that was indeed its genesis.

byevoltor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Original is .... But spending € 329 + € 70 for children to play with cardboard is not a good way to increase sales.

A new model of Switch mini for children would generate more benefits.

They have given the opportunity to other companies to say, and it is not true, that switch is for children ...

If you take out a switch pack with the lab for € 389, they will be laughable by all the forums!

papercraft_kawaii_bunny_2_by_louise_rosa.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol