Nintendo killing many games related Online Services for Wii & DS

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this

i was just about to post something similar before got ninja

the new gen nintendo systems are back compatible and ps3 is not , but we dont see sony pulling support for PSN

this is just another in the long line of bad decisions that nintendo keeps on making , the whole company need restructuring , all they do is fuck up latey , where are their investors? do they care or are they just retarded

sure they dont have alot of online games but come on everyone loves to play mariokart, to pull online support is a bad move ,
the 3ds was released 3 years ago, the wii u almost a year and a half, the ps4 was released 4 months ago.

your point is invalid...

and if you are asking for the investors to stand up, they just asked higher jumps for mario as micro transactions...

by the way if everyone loves to play mariokart online, you can always do so on the 3ds, and 10 days after they shut down the servers they release mario kart 8.

if they are doing something wrong is staying with backwards compatibility as its not standard anymore and people could care less... to the point where if you release a last gen game as a digital copy people will buy it anyway, then you can re-release the same fucking game as a "HD" remastered game and people will buy it again. thus making tons of dollars out of nothing.

by the way IMO backwards compatibility is a godsend only nintendo keeps doing when they dont really have to, at least they let you play your own old games without paying all over again

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Without WiiConnect24, there is no friend code.
WiiConnect24 did lots. You could receive messages, the news and weather used it, its like spotpass before it became spotpass.
You had to have it turned on to have standby mode or it was on or off, no standby without WiiConnect24.

Friends code didn't need WiiConnect24, that was like the serial number of the console. It was more for notifications and channel updates like the news and weather channels.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiConnect24 did lots. You could receive messages, the news and weather used it, its like spotpass before it became spotpass.
You had to have it turned on to have standby mode or it was on or off, no standby without WiiConnect24.

Friends code didn't need WiiConnect24, that was like the serial number of the console. It was more for notifications and channel updates like the news and weather channels.
To receiver message you need to exchange friend code, unless it is a message from Nintendo.

vWii strips both WiiConnect24 and Friend Code, so many Wii games like require the use of friend code cannot go online. Games like Animal Crossing which requires WiiConnect24 to download DLC is also broken.

Iceclaw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do any DS WFC multiplayer games NOT allow the same multiplayer via local-wireless?

Obviously there are games where DLC needs to be preserved, but that's a mostly a simple matter of sav-file collection.

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
To receiver message you need to exchange friend code, unless it is a message from Nintendo.

vWii strips both WiiConnect24 and Friend Code, so many Wii games like require the use of friend code cannot go online. Games like Animal Crossing which requires WiiConnect24 to download DLC is also broken.

Remember when you walked into the room and the drive slot was flashing its blue light? Thats WiiConnect24 doing its job. It downloads the message in the background hence the name "Wii" "connect" "24" so its connected 24 hours a day.
If you didn't turn it on you wouldn't get the message until you turned on the console and it connected and downloaded the message in the background. WiiConnect24 did it all in standby mode.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Remember when you walked into the room and the drive slot was flashing its blue light? Thats WiiConnect24 doing its job. It downloads the message in the background hence the name "Wii" "connect" "24" so its connected 24 hours a day.
If you didn't turn it on you wouldn't get the message until you turned on the console and it connected and downloaded the message in the background. WiiConnect24 did it all in standby mode.
Yes I know what WiiConnect24 does and what LED does thank you very much.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I know what WiiConnect24 does and what LED does thank you very much.

I stopped keeping my Wii on standby after hearing that keeping WiiConnect24 was frying a certain no. of Wii GPUs. Wii units would overheat with WC24 on all the time, so I installed Bootmii and never went online again, until I did the Wii->Wii U transfer.

Is that even a matter of opinion? That's a practically an immutable fact.

No, so here's a correction; it sucked donkey balls. I'm glad they abolished it.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
C'mon, man - WiiConnect24 is useless. I can't think of anything useful that actually uses it, or any important gameplay feature for that matter. That said, you have a point - if it's not supported, it's not full compatibility. :P

Dont tell you didnt get excited everytime you found the Wii Led Light On. Remember that the Wii had some kind of email service? You could even sent messages to emails and received emails. Also Messages from Nintendo and that kind of stuff. And Pics, etc. Anyway back in that time that was awesome for me lol.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
When PS3 loses its online functionality I predict there'll be a boat of moaners saying "I WANT MY PS PLUS GAEMS BACK!!" not realising they were always rental-type games. Dumbass customers are always a pain to deal with. -.-"

Even though Xbox's "Games With Gold" isn't that good the games are kept permanently so that means whether you revert to Silver membership or Xbox LIVE terminates for Xbox 360 you'll still be able to play them. Sleeping Dogs was a nice way to start off 2014 and my XBL Gold membership ended that month so I guess I was lucky to get that for free of charge.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
uhm..fuck you Nintendo?...oh and Wiiconnect24 was around to get any dumb user to wiis connected to the service to accept the oh so useful "behind the scenes" *updates*...which would conveniently make your HBC vanish...besides the SD loading the Wii's updates back in the day were used to kill the HBC

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some early Wii's fan wouldn't spin when you leave WiiConnect24 on. This caused Wi-Fi board, which sits on top of GPU, to overheat. In return, damages the GPU.

My was an earlier unit ( 2006 model) so I didn't take any chances. I essentially said "screw the WC24" and never kept it on standby at all :creep: Also installed Bootmii and never had to worry about accidentally updating or using said service.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the 3ds was released 3 years ago, the wii u almost a year and a half, the ps4 was released 4 months ago.

your point is invalid...

and if you are asking for the investors to stand up, they just asked higher jumps for mario as micro transactions...

by the way if everyone loves to play mariokart online, you can always do so on the 3ds, and 10 days after they shut down the servers they release mario kart 8.

if they are doing something wrong is staying with backwards compatibility as its not standard anymore and people could care less... to the point where if you release a last gen game as a digital copy people will buy it anyway, then you can re-release the same fucking game as a "HD" remastered game and people will buy it again. thus making tons of dollars out of nothing.

by the way IMO backwards compatibility is a godsend only nintendo keeps doing when they dont really have to, at least they let you play your own old games without paying all over again

uh no removing back compatibility is a mistake, people like to be able to play their old last gen games, and you can not play the wii and ds versions of mariokart online , it dont matter if there is a new version coming out , maybe people want to play the older versions online , those servers cant cost that much to run so there is no excuse really
and no people do not want to have to re-buy something they already paid for and be gouged to death to boot no less, they charge 5 bucks for fucking gameboy titles, its ridiculous ,they already more than made their money on those old ass titles, they are just being cheap fucks, and even if nintendo didnt gouge, which of course they would , cause if they are charging $5 for gameboy games then i can only imagine what they would want for wii or ds titles

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: America ya~