1. Jayinem81

Jayinem81 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Does Nintendo have Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney as their lawyer? If so errerybody is screwed.

OTTH, if one of these websites would hire Phoenx Wright Acey Attorney Nintendo is screwed.

2. Mrperson0

Mrperson0 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    No, they are not. SXOS ships with sigpatches or whatever that allow you to install games, whereas Atmosphere does not. That is the clear difference between them.

Atmosphere does not allow you to do this if you download it from the official Github.

Last edited by Mrperson0, May 18, 2020
  3. Josephvb10

Josephvb10 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Costa Rica
  4. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    but you have to hack it to run it. shield tv does everything straight out of the box. fuck the switch for emulation who cares if the shield tv isn't portable it does everything i need it to do. and it will never be in danger of nintenDMCA :P

Last edited by Bladexdsl, May 18, 2020
  5. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    I wish Nvidia would make another shield tablet

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Atmosphere does not include the patches that allow a user to run pirated Switch titles. Xbox Dev mode is also different in that regard. Being able to run Retroarch is the not same thing as installing a pirated version of Halo MCC.

6. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    @8BitWonder . @Mrperson0

I have a feeling in future updates Atmosphere is going to permanently stop sigpatches in future updates. I personally want them to do that because if they are going to label themselves as anti piracy they need to block their firmware from being cracked for future liabilities. If you want to pirate buy a SXOS License or stay on legacy firmware where you can downgrade. Turning a blind eye isn't good enough anymore.

@Memoir
    I never found DEV Mode appealing I don't want to spend $20 to play retroarch when I can play for free on my phone or computer lol.

7. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

United States
    I'll personally wait for Scires to say he's blocking ips patches before assuming that, but you do you.
    They really don't need to block them, they just need to continue not packaging sigpatches with it like they're doing currently.

If what they've been doing isn't enough then Nintendo's legal team would have gone after the project by now.

Last edited by 8BitWonder, May 18, 2020
  8. Mrperson0

United States
    Why? It's more than enough for them to not allow you to pirate by downloading Vanilla Atmosphere. As long as they keep on doing that, Nintendo has nothing on them.

9. SG854

SG854 I Will Show You Paradise

Comoros
    I'm a lawyer that got my education from the Pheonix Wright Ace Atorney Games so I know better then all of you and I say Nintendo is evil & wants money and can't shut this down because it's not within their legal right.

Last edited by SG854, May 18, 2020
  10. Fred Molyneux

Fred Molyneux GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    You are being very naive about Atmo. If Nintendo were to go after Atmo and SciresM in a country with big companies lobbying like USA, you can be 100% certain SciresM will end up in jail. There was plenty of blank or homebrew only R4 type cards etc. that never held up in court in USA. The only reason they go after TX is because when you ask real end users at a high school or whatever what they use, you have 20 TX users for 1 atmo. Gbatemp doesn't represent at all the Switch market. Atmo is peanuts for piracy (because Atmo and SX OS are used for exactly the same thing: piracy, get them to block sigpatch for real and see how many topics will be updated here about Atmo suddently -i.e.: almost none), so right now they don't bother. But just like this lawsuit came at once, don't be surprised if one morning you wake up and you hear about SciresM and al. being all under arrest.
    And in general, because of the high cost, lawsuits always target the big guys, and the big guys are TX.
    They know they have no hope to stop them, but their move makes sense, they go after resellers in key markets where law is in their favor or where they can bend the law with money (USA and UK are 2 good examples). This way they keep piracy under control. And they are really clever, because they know in those countries, piracy won't really improve their sales, when for example in China or India, no piracy means no sales, so anyway, they don't want to stop people there, they will be shooting themselves in the foot.

11. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Czech Republic
    The xci mounting uses some copyright stuff iirc.

12. Mrperson0

United States
    Just like how we should have been expecting smea to get arrested for leading the way to homebrew for the 3DS? Or the loads of CFW out there for that console?

13. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Czech Republic
    One can (and most of the time will) argue, that it's not for piracy, but for legally owned backups. But if you market it for piracy, that's a different story.

As stated before, atmosphere itself does not come with sigpatches, but sx os does. Thats where the problem lies, as sigpatches circumvent the device's "security" (not to mention the xci loading).

Last edited by Kubas_inko, May 18, 2020
  14. anth4m

anth4m Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Don't forget that Nintendo collaborates with Tencent in China now. It may no longer be that easy for modchips and dongles to be manufactured and shipped out from China.

15. samcambolt270

samcambolt270 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I guess they still don't get that modding your device is legal. First sale doctrine, guys. Selling something that allows copies of a proprietary format to be made, sure, but something that simply allows unsigned code to be run is not. Just because someone could use it for piracy does not make it illegal. That would make damn near everything illegal.
    Dvd burners? Didn't you know? You can use those to play pirated movies on your dvd player! BAM! illegal. And don't get me started on computers. Did you know that computers allow people to have complete access to the internet where they can pirate whatever they want!

16. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Big oof but something like this was bound to happen. I'd be a fool to say go underground, but that wont aid product sales.
    Saltyendo has been purging sxos videos for a long time halting media advertisement, but that switch lite chipset was the last straw for them I guess.

17. antiNT

antiNT a.k.a Johnny El Pollo Loco

Qatar
    That's not promoting piracy at all. It also lets us play custom .nsp

Goku1992A and MrCokeacola like this.
  18. alepman90

alepman90 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Probably Nintendo should focus on making games instead of porting WiiU library and charge $60 for it
    honestly even investing for a hacked switch isn't worth it

MrCokeacola likes this.
  19. anth4m

anth4m Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Isn't Nintendo developing new games? Those WiiU ones are just for people who never tried it since WiiU was a failure.

20. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Has a PhD in dueling

United States
    remember these are the assholes (scratch that the entire Japanese government) that made cheating in a video game a jailable offence i mean come on thats so rediculus

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - resellers, Nintendo, lawsuits