nintendo DS and DSL

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by jamespoo, Jan 17, 2012.

Jan 17, 2012

nintendo DS and DSL by jamespoo at 12:03 AM (843 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. jamespoo
    OP

Member jamespoo GBAtemp Fan

New Zealand
    i wanted to know hardware wise are the nintendo ds and ds lite 100% the same if not what has change only thing i can see is the battery life is longer in the ds light and the ds light is smaller

2. Zerosuit connor

Member Zerosuit connor Baby I'm Back ♥

Australia
    Yep thats it, improved buttons too, and there was a difference in ribbon cables? I cannot remember, its been a while since i tore one apart.

3. Todderbert

Member Todderbert GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The original DS uses a GBA charger and was changed to a different plug design for the Lite. GBA carts stick out on the Lite and sit flush in the original. They both run the same game software. For those who still flash a custom DS firmware the original was easier to do compared to the Lite.

4. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    There is a difference in the ribbon cables; they are crappier in the Lite.

As for the buttons, I HIGHLY prefer the clicky DS Phat buttons over the rigid, mushy Lite buttons.

5. Geren

Member Geren GBAtemp Regular

El Salvador
    I also have a question regarding this: Can I use a DSphat touch screen as a replacement for a lite?

6. Damage Inc.

Newcomer Damage Inc. Member

Australia
    Maybe but it wouldn't be as bright :unsure:
    Or maybe it would because the brightness on the Phat could just be a software issue :unsure:

7. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    No.

The Lite has slightly larger screens.

8. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Some DS Phats had the hardware needed for brighter screens.
    Some Flashme versions allow you to use higher brightnesses on DS Phats provided you have the right hardware.

9. NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Member NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU Now with extra redundancy!

Australia
    No they didn't. It's the DSi with larger screens.

10. DinohScene

Antarctica
    DS Phat screen size is 3.0 inches.
    DS Lite screen size is 3.12 inches.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS#Model_comparison

11. NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Member NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU Now with extra redundancy!

Australia
    Ok, never knew that, but I've seen both next to each other and they look the same.

12. DinohScene

Antarctica
    It's a very tiny diffirence but the diffirence is there.
    I knew from checking my Phat and Lite screens and confirmed it with wikipedia.

13. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    1. The DS Lite is generally a smaller and more modern-looking handheld compared to the DS Phat. However, the screens are a big larger.
    2. The DS Lite's screens can go brighter than a DS Phat's, and the colors appear to be enhanced. This makes playing games a nicer experience.
    3. The DS Lite's shoulder buttons have a small problem that was not present in the DS Phat's. One or both will occasionally cease to work, usually due to dust clogging it them up. There are temporary solutions, but the only permanent solution is to open the system up and work with it.
    4. The DS Lite's hinge has a problem that was not present in the DS Phat's. For some reason, the DS Lite's hinge was not made very sturdy and will sometimes break with almost no more force applied to it than the force needed to open the handheld up. Afterward, the system will be very floppy and occasionally - though not always - the broken hinge will cause the screens to slowly short out over time. The only solution is to replace the entire casing.
    5. The DS Lite's buttons are changed from the thin, clicky buttons of the DS Phat to more round, easy-to-press buttons. They do not feel as sturdy as the DS Phat's buttons.
    6. The DS Lite's charger was changed from the DS Phat's "universal" charger that could also be used with a GBASP.
    7. The DS Phat is not compatible with any DS Lite Slot-2-orientated items, such as the new-style EZ Flash 3in1 or the expansion cartridge for the most recent NDS Browser to exist. However, this is only due to the size of the cartridges. If you were to replace the cartridge shell of these with standard-size GBA cartridges, they would work in a DS Phat.
    8. The DS Lite came with a dust-protector for the GBA slot, while the DS Phat did not.

14. jamespoo
    OP

Member jamespoo GBAtemp Fan

New Zealand
    thank you