Nintendo Downloaded Super Mario Bros from Internet

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Cylent1, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Cylent1
    OP

Cylent1 Community Smart Ass!

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    Nintendo Downloaded Super Mario Bros from Internet and Sold it back to you as Virtual Console Rom.
    Here is the Proof!

2. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    Really not surprised tbh. I always emulate on my pc tho so.....

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Is that a bad thing?

4. Cylent1
    OP

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    Knowing you are not getting an Official Nintendo product after paying Nintendo, would bother me to be honest.
    But in this day of Leftist Snowflake millenials, Probably Not!

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    If they themselves sell it and the code is that which would have gone onto the ROMs however many years ago then how is it not official?

6. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    It was a modified rom with a special format.

7. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    As i understand it, it was the header and there's just a limited amount of ways to do such things since it's being read by emulated hardware. There is still the possibility for coincidence. Either way, the rom itself is theirs, it was just the code for emulation that would be the problem. It's not like you're *not* purchasing a legit rom ripped from a mario cartridge. The only thing in doubt is the code involved with the emulation of the thing.

Last edited by osaka35, Jan 30, 2017
    ItsKipz likes this.
  8. Cylent1
    OP

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    So it's ok for them to take the credit for the emulation code when blatantly they did not write it?
    No credits given to the one who wrote it?
    Sounds like some above the law corporate bullshit to me that too many people just let slide.

9. osaka35

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    If they stole it, then that's super shady and they should be called out. But as I understand it, it's hardly clear evidence. It's just in the realm of possibility if you squint hard enough. It could be the person the code allegedly was stolen from just came to the same conclusion as nintendo. its just a tiny coincidence you'd expect. It could be nintendo just stole the code because they're lazy. I don't know, but i'd like to see some more work done towards finding an actual answer rather than assumption of guilt based on pure bias.

Last edited by osaka35, Jan 30, 2017
  10. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    Damn I would've thought that they could've at least used some sort of basic cart dumper.

Cylent1 likes this.
  11. Cylent1
    OP

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    Regardless, they need to called out to be put back in their place instead of thieving from people with no consequences.
    If it looks like a duck,
    walks like a duck,
    quacks like a duck.
    then most likely it is a Duck!

12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    So I watched the video to see if anything interesting was involved (I saw a discussion on this elsewhere earlier and had seen the GDC talk before so hopefully does not count as didn't read but commenting anyway).

"Modified" appears to be that there was a header attached to a bunch of dumps stuck together (no emulator developed performance interleaving or anything like we might see on some optical formats). The rest seems to be as it would be in a cart, or at least it is not like they took the work of some ROM hacker and sold it, and I struggle to see where any harm was done to emu devs or other parties potentially involved. The response is at best a bit disingenuous, or maybe one hand does not know what the other is doing (as the video speculates), but I am still not seeing anything to get any kind of riled up about though. Sure their website says something but I am not sure how much I want to read into what I will probably consider boilerplate legalese.

Edit. On "emulator code" then had they borrowed a bunch from fceux or something and compiled it without releasing changes or whatever was required then slap 'em good and hard (and several have pulled apart their emulators before, can't speak to them doing full clean room emulation coding but I have not seen any analysis say it is a quick and dirty recompile). This is a header format of no great consequence, possibly even none if it works similarly to some of their other emulators with game specific settings -- if if read the header and set settings then there is a ghost of chance you could argue something, if the emulator is otherwise programmed to be said mapper then I am not seeing it.

Last edited by FAST6191, Jan 30, 2017
    WiiUBricker and osaka35 like this.
  13. Cylent1
    OP

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    Hey everybody it's OK!
    Ninty just came out and said it was just an Alternative Fact! *sarcasm

14. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Lol, Nintendo is too lazy to dump their own ROMs, shows how half-assed their efforts on the VC really are :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

So glad that I've been using unofficial emulators and ROM dumps on the Wii U instead :P Makes me feel better being able to use emulators that are better anyway.

Last edited by the_randomizer, Jan 30, 2017
  15. BARNWEY

BARNWEY THE MLG DINOSAUR

Oct 11, 2016
    United States
    Imagination
    I've been doing the same thing, except on the 3DS. The only VC I use are injected + fixed GBA VCs XD

the_randomizer likes this.
  16. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I've given up on the VC long ago, unofficial emulation is often superior in pretty much every way XD Now that the Wii U can run Snes9x, Nestopia, etc perfectly, heh heh heh

17. osaka35

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    I'm always sad when official emulation doesn't have speed multipliers or other bells and whistles.

18. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Only because they put the minimum amount of effort in them; take for instance the Snes emulator for Wii, apparently code was borrowed from some old Snes emulator for MacOS. I've seen a few RetroArch developers discover this and claimed that's why it never emulated the SuperFX; that emulator for Mac didn't emulate it either. Sad :P

19. DarkCoffe64

DarkCoffe64 Bo

Mar 30, 2011
    Italy
    Arcadia
    Yeah, I saw that video. If Nintendo's really did that, then they have no rights to get so butthurt if people emulate their old games rather than buying them.

I mean, 5$ for fucking SMB on NES? For that price you can get the Crash Bandicoot trilogy on PSN. Now tell me which is the best deal.

the_randomizer likes this.
  20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Though I am the last one to praise the VC emulation for anything really, and this may speak to a certain mindset that is pervasive within that, I am not seeing the gain for them to build a dumping tool or, assuming it was hard, go through procurement for the ROM images over downloading it.
    At least when official game support forums suggest cracked versions (usually when some beleaguered intern they have manning it slips up), or somewhere like gog uses a cracked version we can have a little giggle. This really does seem like a non event, and an amusing bit of trivia for the GDC talk* mentioned in the video.

*link because it is actually a great talk
    http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023470/-It-s-Just-Emulation

Edit
    Why? They still own the copyright to the game and presumably have discretion as to the ways they disseminate it.

Last edited by FAST6191, Jan 30, 2017