1. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Argentina
    Can't forget the old 3DS lacked an "airplane mode" so if you wanted to keep it offline it was bothersome. Plus unlike the DS it kind of raised privacy concerns. Oh and since it was also region locked... that contributed to make the console less popular compared to the DS.

2. Erencikefe

Erencikefe Member
    Newcomer

Turkey
    Super Mario 3D Land is my favorite.

3. dwain12435

dwain12435 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The console isn't discontinued until online services shut down, and they haven't.

4. Asia81

Asia81 GBAtemp Guru

France
    XY was so much underrated, I really loved them

Scott_pilgrim and Prans like this.
  5. raxadian

Argentina
    Pokemon already did so just give it like... a few months at most?

mak-can-o-beans likes this.
  6. dwain12435

dwain12435 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Quote from Nintendo: "The spokesperson added: "We currently have no plans to end any existing online services for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. Online play and Nintendo eShop will continue to be available and it will be possible to access and redownload all previously purchased content in the foreseeable future."

EDIT: I read this online somewhere, I'm not 100% sure if it's true, so research it yourself.

Last edited by dwain12435, Sep 18, 2020
  7. raxadian

Argentina
    Currently means "At this moment" that's basically the present. If we are lucky the service will last the rest of the year if we are not...

8. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Nintendo: "The DS will be a third pillar of our presence, alongside the home console, and the Game Boy family"
    Also Nintendo: cancels every GB/C project a week later

Nintendo: "The 3DS is the future of portable gaming"
    Also Nintendo: cancels DS games instantly
    Also Nintendo: makes non-3D device halfway in

Nintendo: "The Switch is not replacing home or handheld platforms"
    Also Nintendo: murders WiiU development
    Also Nintendo: cancels majority of 3DS game dev
    Also Nintendo: demands rushed Pokemon game with 1/10 of the polish it should've had "ENJOY SWORD AND SHIELD!" $60 PER VERSION plus $30 per DLC episode, confirming pokedex opening by ransom measures

<-- My face when

9. raxadian

Argentina
    Actually the Pokemon games was all Gamefreak. It was them who made the choice of the game gimmick being giant fights, if they had done something different they could have included way more Pokemon in the default game.

Remember Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee came before Sword and Shield so they definitely had the CGI models of Kanto Pokemon already.

It was also them who made Mew cost 50 bucks, the price of a whole new game (at the time) just to get Mew and even put a time limit, if you got the Pokeball thingie after the time limit forget Mew.

Last edited by raxadian, Sep 18, 2020
  10. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun Pro Plasher

Uruguay
    it most likely is a tie between Stella Glow and Mario Kart 7 for me
    not really, there is a period where consoles are considered obsolete before being retro, the 6th an 7th gen of home consoles fit perfectly into that category

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  11. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

United States
    Damn. I knew it'd happen at some point, but it's all become so much more real now.

This whole console has a special place in my heart. The old eShop music, spending too much time in Tomodachi Life, playing Smash 4 on the bus, then using my 3DS as a controller for the full Wii U version at friends' houses, all the fun I had with Pokemon Y and Super Mystery Dungeon, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and reconnecting with my childhood with the Ocarina of Time remake, not even mentioning the Mii Plaza and the fun with stuff like Find Mii, and working with my friends to try to finish puzzles. There's just too many things for me to list. But, hey, it had a great run. I might find some people selling their old ones for chea locally and finally get to own an N3DS...

Scott_pilgrim and DarkraiPK like this.
  12. raxadian

Argentina
    Really? Compared to Black or White Pokemon Y and X were... like a downgrade. And after Sun and Moon I just couldn't go back to Y and X. The fact you could not transfer Pokemon from it to Sun and Moon without Pokebank also meant zero motivation to play the games again.

13. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

United States
    It's a nostalgia thing. Going back to the games, I can see why people dislike it, but I still feel like it has this distinct energy of something new. Not to mention that I never played gen 5 until after 6 and 7. I went 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 5.. And still haven't played 8. I didn't like 7 because I felt like it was a tutorial the whole way through. My opinions are weird, I'm aware.

Scott_pilgrim and Ryccardo like this.
  14. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun Pro Plasher

Uruguay
    as someone with over 70 hours in x, i get you, but they are not bad games, they just could have been better, and while BW will run on a 3ds, it's a ds game

15. HarvHouHacker

HarvHouHacker GBAtemp's "Official" Wii Rock Band Hacker

United States
    RIP Nintendo 3DS. You were a good console.

Note to all 3DS users: You may want to buy whatever digital games are on your wish lists for the Wii U and 3DS now, in the event that Nintendo does a dumb thing like they did with the Wii.

Scott_pilgrim and raxadian like this.
  16. Dartz150

Dartz150 Yet another Onii-chan

Mexico
    "what's your favorite 3DS game/memory?"

Man, this was the first console that I could buy new and boxed with my own money and effort, which felt very satisfying, before it I bought an used DS Lite. I had it since launch and what a blast and journey through so many games it still is:

I could play all my DS games since day 1.

The first time I fully played Ocarina of Time, the improved visuals and the 3D effect felt like the future.
    Mario Kart 7 and Mario 3D Land where such huge steps forward compared to their DS predecesors.
    All the good game library it has still enjoyable to this date.
    Many hours spent with friends in AC:NL
    Met the Monster Hunter games and got addicted to them, still playing them today.

And most importantly: One of the best scenes, specially on the "new" model with all its emulators and homebrew, is a tiny All in One retro machine in the palm of your hand.

I will really miss that feeleing this console gave me with every announcement, I can't feel the same hype I had back then anymore with current gen consoles for some reason.

17. Memerz1

Memerz1 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    The 3ds getting discontinued is a little bit of existential crisis material for me, I know I might be projecting a bit much, but the 3ds getting discontinued is like a physical barrier that prevents me from going back to my child-hood. Like it's officially the end of that era of my life, and I don't know how to feel about that.

I'll never forget all the friends I've made along the way throughout my years playing ac:nl, or when me and the boys were fighting several gore magala's at once in MH4U.

Edit: Oh yeah, Fire Emblem. That series had a profound impact on me.

Last edited by Memerz1, Sep 18, 2020
  18. raxadian

Argentina
    The console lasted almost a decade and unlike the Wii and DS losing their online services, we had previous warning from at least last year.

It may hurt but it happens. You can do some stuff if you have an extra 3DS like Stresspass and junk.

What is impossible to forgive is Gamefreak pulling the plug on Pokemon online services just the next year after Ultra Sun and Moon that's worse than what happened with Black and White 2.

Last edited by raxadian, Sep 18, 2020
    Azerus_Kun likes this.
  19. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    RIP best nintendo handheld ever. I mean, you can play 3ds, native ds, native gba, snes emulation, gbc emulation with this thing. I probably will never sell mine.

20. LightBeam

LightBeam GBAtemp Fan

France
    Damn ... It hurts a little, didn't expected that. I almost feel like I should buy a new one before it ends

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - discontinues, production, Nintendo