Coconuts 500

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually, they cannot patch 3ds games.

How do I know? Because they haven't done it yet, and are well aware of the problem. Had it been possible, it would have been a quick and easy thing do do.

They said they could? They were lying, simple as that. Big corporations do that most of the time.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Actually, they cannot patch 3ds games.

How do I know? Because they haven't done it yet, and are well aware of the problem. Had it been possible, it would have been a quick and easy thing do do.

They said they could? They were lying, simple as that. Big corporations do that most of the time.

They can't patch 3ds games because they haven't done it yet? What kind of argument is that? Yes, they are aware of it, but that is not proof that they don't have the ability.

Reactions: 1 person

Supreme Dirt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure as the update enabling the patching of games + dlc came after the release of MK7, there isn't anything in place in the game to actually allow the patch. Knowing Nintendo, there'll undoubtably need to be something in the game itself allowing it to be patched.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Idea: Maybe Nintendo can patch the game but they have no way to force the patch onto the online userbase.
What if it's included in the firmware update? :P

I dunno if that would work but it'd seem like the most reasonable thing to do.

Also, systems like Xbox Live don't even let users play a game until they apply a patch for it. Can they not do the same?
Possibly Nintendo don't have any checks in place for it. I don't really know what kind of behind the scenes coding has to go on to make such a thing happen.
In the case of XBL, patches are usually just patched files from the original shipped version that is loaded instead of the original files.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure as the update enabling the patching of games + dlc came after the release of MK7, there isn't anything in place in the game to actually allow the patch. Knowing Nintendo, there'll undoubtably need to be something in the game itself allowing it to be patched.

A 3DS firmware update that adds a check prior to launching a game card to see if the SD card contains an update/patch that either updates on the fly only in RAM or is a separate updated executable of the gamecode would be enough.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Just so everybody knows, yes, the 3DS already is capable of patches/additional content or DLC. Nintendo calls it "Add-On Content". Go check under Settings>Data Management>Nintendo 3DS. You'll see a new button that lets you manage DLC, assuming they're available.

The feature is there, Nintendo just probably hasn't figured out quite yet what to do with MK7. Or if they wanna do anything to it. For all we know, as far as they're concerned, MK7 may be a closed book.

muckers

Trophies
XP
Country
Idea: Maybe Nintendo can patch the game but they have no way to force the patch onto the online userbase.

If you don't update, you can't go online. Solved.

Sure, cheat offline where it doesn't matter.

Exactly what I thought when I read this yesterday. Microsoft do it all the time with games; if you're connected to Xbox Live, it forces the next update or you can't play. Nintendo should simply do that with Mario Kart. Connected to wi-fi? You must update.

Unless of course, Nintendo are reserving the possibility of patches/add-on content for paid DLC rather than bug fixes and tech updates. But I'm sure I'm just being cynical.

KinGamer7

Trophies
XP
Country
Right...Nintendo can't change the respawn point of one designated area in one level via a patch? This employee may not be representative of the whole company, but they're implying that they would have to sell hard copies of a new revision in order to fix this glitch. That's pathetic.

I mean, seriously...it's 2012. How can they still be utterly clueless as to how online works? That's bad, even for Nintendo.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you don't update, you can't go online. Solved.

Sure, cheat offline where it doesn't matter.

The funny thing is, they've effectively semi-did this with the Wii Shop Channel. Hell, was it Black Ops that forced an update when you tried to go online with it on the Wii?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.