Nintendo could develop a game controller for smart devices

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by WiiUBricker, Jul 6, 2016.

1. WiiUBricker
    OP

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    concept.png

During an investors meeting, Nintendo's general manager of entertainment planning and development, Shinya Takahashi, answered a question whether or not Nintendo plans to launch an own game controller for smart devices.

While he said it's possible that Nintendo some day could launch a game controller for smart devices, the way Nintendo works however is to use what's available (a touch screen) and make the best of it without compromises, hence Reggie's quote from last year:

:arrow: Source

MarkDarkness and nxwing like this.
  2. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I don't like all this focus on mobile Nintendo. For God sakes stick to consoles and handhelds.

Deboog and Bladexdsl like this.
  3. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Sounds like a "we could, but we'd rather make games work for the platform as-is as our first option"

4. WiiUBricker
    OP

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Meanwhile at Sony
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

5. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Yes, that's why they had to make a peripheral to add a second stick and 2 more buttons to the 3ds. They like to work with what's there.

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Why? Also if you make a controller what is the difference between a phone/tablet and a Nintendo handheld, other than the phone/tablet probably being far more powerful.
    Equally when was the last time Nintendo made something that really resonated with the game playing set that was something that would not have worked as a third party controller?

Anyway I am more likely to read the statement in the opening post as politician style "say something but also say nothing".

7. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    When Nintendo takes their focus away from the standard of producing games for their own consoles and handhelds its almost always have been panned poorly. Fuck amusement parks, fuck movies, fuck mobile, and to a small extent fuck amiibo. I want them to stick to making games, the very thing fans have come to expect since 1981 (lets not get technical on when they founded)

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I am not sure I can look to the past with the present state of software development being what it is. If they were still competent at building hardware and had a solid online infrastructure then I might think otherwise but they do not. If it was still a time when embedded hardware and specific chips could make or break things then I might also be inclined to have them throw in but it is not, indeed their still playing in that world a bit has done them no favours in home consoles for some time now and is not helping the 3ds either. It is not as though they even temper MS and Sony or anything and prevent them from acting the fool.

9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Fixed.

FFS, guys, cut it out already. Leading questions lead to skewed answers. This isn't an announcement. It's a (most likely translated from Japanese) excerpt of a business meeting. Stop pretending that this is something it never was.

It's not news that they COULD develop electronic stuff. It means jack shit as to what they are ACTUALLY doing.

Last edited by Taleweaver, Jul 7, 2016
  10. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Nintendo on the mobile platform, doomed to fail, just like the Wii/Wii U and 3DS

11. Logan Pockrus

Logan Pockrus Knawledge is key.

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    The 3ds was an enormous success. You're correct about the Wii U, though.

12. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Iwatodai Dorm
    80 euro controller nice

13. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    YES! YESSSSSSSSS! Nintendo should make a GameCube styled pad AND a Android launcher just for their games! This would be amazing!!!