Nintendo Considering Free-to-Play for New Franchises

Tekken179

Trophies
XP
Country
This is what I wanted to hear knowing they won't harm their current big characters/games in this way, but satisfied enough with the idea of them bringing in new games, earthbound MMO for 3DS *cough*

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
This is what I wanted to hear knowing they won't harm their current big characters/games in this way, but satisfied enough with the idea of them bringing in new games, earthbound MMO for 3DS *cough*
Again, it's a new IP, not a pre-existing one. Why do people keep missing that part in the OP?

zachtheninja

Honorary Ninja
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can do everything that requires payment through non-payment (Like jetpack joyride), or if the payment items are exclusively cosmetic, then it might be ok. However, Nintendo needs to avoid the refill an "action bar" every five secounds by spending nintendo-coins plan.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
You guys seem to be forgetting something. Nintendo's current model is with DLC -- you buy the game, get it complete, but you can buy stuff on the side to add stuff to the game. But you BUY the game first.

Free-to-play usually works because the game is FREE, not only to play, but also to get/download. The only problem thereafter is whether how much of the actual content is accessible without requiring to pay exorbitant amounts of cash.

If you can hit a sweet spot on amount of free content versus amount of paid content, then it'll be all good.

EDIT: I totally forgot, this model of F2P is outdated. Most F2P games today cost a tidy bunch to get on top of the in-game transactions.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Nintendo is smart about this and does it responsibly and not like EA and Zynga and fricken everyone else, then I'm cool with it.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Why is this such a big deal to everyone? Good grief, Nintendo is CONSIDERING FTP for new franchises. It's not like they're converting all their current IPs to FTP with pay to win. If you dont like FTP, you can just ignore the new IP, like I probably will. sheesh...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just don't see why people hate F2P. They see it and go "IT GETS RIDICULOUS WHEN YOU START HAVING TO PAY TO UNLOCK CONTENT." Well no shit you do, you pay to unlock content when you buy a normal retail game. In F2P, difference is some content is free, other content has a price tag if you want to play it. Oh no, the horror. I mean it does have some issues, like turning into pay2win, but in general it's no worse than buying a regular, full, $60 retail game.

It's a new breakthrough in gaming and it's quite honestly going to be around for a while. I thought people would be glad that Nintendo is adopting some new advancements considering they're a bit notorious for doing the opposite.

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. I hate Microtransactions, What ever happened to buy the game once and you own the game forever? It seems like every game company is going this way which is complete shit.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. I hate Microtransactions, What ever happened to buy the game once and you own the game forever? It seems like every game company is going this way which is complete shit.

What's so bad about getting a game for free and paying what you want in terms of content as opposed to buying a whole game for a set price?

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
What's so bad about getting a game for free and paying what you want in terms of content as opposed to buying a whole game for a set price?
Well to be fair it makes things harder, small payments can be somewhat a pain in ass plus it's harder to keep track on what you spend for some people I guess, in any case one payment beats making lots of small ones usually, even more so if you can't add funds easily. Also one reason why people hate this and DLC is because they want to own the full game and have the full game stored in their collection for years to come, they want to be able to sell and buy the full games in the future. So they have a good enough reason to not like it in some cases I suppose.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A lack of small payments probably falls at the feet of credit card companies and other payment transaction companies.

Transient games vs a single item.... the former is nothing new (see much of the Sega Meganet library which did include things like addon stories for Phantasy Star 2). Personally I am quite interested to see what can be made under the model for it has done wonders for general software development.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The only reason I don't really care much for F2P is, frankly, I don't like dealing with microtransactions. That's not to say "oh, I don't want to pay to unlock content," it's just that I don't like how complicated it is. Regardless of how much it costs, I like to just buy something, pay the full price, and be done with it. It's the same reason I hate monthly subscriptions, like Spotify, as opposed to stuff like Xbox Live, which you only pay for once a year. It's less complicated and I don't have to worry about checking my funds, etc after I initially pay because I already covered everything. That's just my personal preference.

tl;dr I'm too lazy to deal with microtransactions. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-