Hardware "Nintendo confirms DVD-enabled Wii in '07"

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/14/nintend...bled-wii-in-07/

I hope it's released as a redesigned Wii... Wii Lite anyone?
smile.gif

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Now this is going to tear me apart. Should I get the Wii on launch date or wait for the DVD version to come out? Then again, I bought my Gamecube in the hope that I'll be able to trade it in for the Panasonic Q... but it was never really sold outside of Japan.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, truth be told with college and all, I really couldn't afford or justify buying a Wii when there are so many other things I need to pay for still. Looks like waiting may pay off for me.

Sc4rFac3d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I wonder how Lite it will look like...

Still i'm just gonna stick to a white Wii on launch, I can play DVDs fine on my PC connected to the TV.
smile.gif

blueraja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whee (or I guess Wiiiiii would be more appropriate) just what I need another device with DVD capability. I have yet to watch a DVD in anything other than a dedicated dvd player. I can see maybe the use in a kids room or some poor college student with limited space in the dorms, but for the general population dvd capability is IMHO worthless.

But please all of you...especially those around KC...wait for the DVD version...it will increase the odds of my getting that non dvd playing one that comes out sunday
smile.gif

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will wait for the next year. I also want to know if it is going to be software or hardware or both ? Hmm..can't wait!

Strag0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I'm interested in the DVD Wii is if having DVD capability will help/hinder the "importing(pirating, you know)" of games.

I agree, I'm interested in that as well.

Though It will be sweet to have a Wii DVD player, using the Wiimote to start the movie and such would be killer. I'm excited about little things. =)

Jasafar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My advice is to get it now. Reason being is that 1st gen is more hackable/modable - if there are going to be any security holes, they will be figured out on the "1st gen" units. By the time the DVD units are released, there is a better chance that Nintendo can plug these holes.

Z

Zress

not that they wouldn't end up inadvertantly create new ones in the process
biggrin.gif

and to the topic creater... ye gods no, don't you even suggest that.

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh shit, my Wii won't play DVDs! I won't have anything to play them on! Except for my Xbox, my PS2, my standalone DVD-player... oh wait. Forget it.

Tamyu

Trophies
Website
tamyu.net
XP
Country
Nintendo Japan has released news that it will look no different and have NOTHING different other than DVD playing capabilities and higher price.

Unless you actually NEED it to play DVDs, there is no reason to wait for the DVD one. Unless you want to pay more or something.

Madrigal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I really don't get what the big deal is with DVD playback in a gaming console. I seriously could give two shits. I already have a DVD player anyway. If you don't have one, get with the times. You can get a pretty good one for $30 these days. Personally I'm happy to not have to pay a dime extra for useless DVD playback in a gaming machine. One of many things Nintendo has done right this time IMO.

belmont

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Since it is possible all consoles should have a DVD player.

PS2 supports DVD,Div-X,mp3.If it didn't I'd have to connect another device in my TV anf that would mean trouble and more endless cords.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People expect DVD playback as standard nowadays. Kinda like how people buy a car and think airconditioning comes with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @SylverReZ hi