Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendo begins deploying NX SDK to developers

nx.png

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Nintendo has begun distributing software development kits for the new NX to developers.

The article also reads that people familiar with the project say that the NX consists of both a console-like device and handheld unit, as per the rumours; and that Nintendo is planning to use "industry leading" components after criticism with the Wii U regarding its graphical capabilities.

Expect more details on the NX to surface next year, presumably around E3. GBAtemp will keep you updated on any new developments.

:arrow: Source (WSJ)

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't be too happy with another standalone handheld. There are very few N3DS exclusive titles, and the console is quite powerful. Unless there is something unique about the 3ds line that prevents development, I don't know why they would push a new handheld.
I like the 3DS, but it is time to move on.

So, they plan on selling 2 devices one for handheld and one for your TV, what greedy bastards. They could have easily streamed the Handheld device to the TV via a stream dock.
Sounds like a suicide move, one console for both home and mobile may have saved the company, 2 consoles one for home and one for handheld is suicide. Which one do you buy? How about none.
I think they are finished anyways.
I really hope you are trolling.

Sounds like the 3DS is being replaced. Damn. I'll be pissed if 2016 is the last year for 3DS
Time to move on. It's going hit your wallet, but we and the devs will be better off for it.

I always lol when some people compare specs to the PS4 as it being the holy grail of Graphics.
The PS4 really is NOT that very powerful at all, Sony did good telling everybody that.

If Nintendo wanted they could easily top current specs, hopefully they will realize the Wiiu gamepad is a great control interface but only along side traditional controls like
Wiimote and Nunchuck and "classic" controls like PS4 and Xbone.
Also they REALLY should bring back analog shoulder buttons or something better.
( driving games, or the controls speed of running etc.)
Also hopefully they will explore the VR realm, because I think in the hands of Nintendo they can really push the tech forward without it being "just technology".
Also Miiverse was and is a golden idea and works perfectly for casual and adult gamers.
Also NO more DLC!

Gamepad already has "traditional controls", just with an added gamepad. If they do VR, which I doubt, it isn't coming with the console. Not only are they making money off dlc, they was push into that direction in the first place.

What if the physical games were... CARDS?!
View attachment 27214
I really hope so.

Last edited by KingVamp,
Reactions: Deleted User

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the NX consists of both a console-like device and handheld unit, as per the rumours

While I can't read the Wall street journal because of the paywall, several other articles have been amended to clarify that they merely belong to "the same family". Could mean what was mentioned, or it could just mean a handheld and console released under the same banner (NX mobile, NX home, NX health, NX car, NX spaceshuttle), that work together very closely but are still separate consoles. It'll be interesting to see.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I can't read the Wall street journal because of the paywall, several other articles have been amended to clarify that they merely belong to "the same family". Could mean what was mentioned, or it could just mean a handheld and console released under the same banner (NX mobile, NX home, NX health, NX car, NX spaceshuttle), that work together very closely but are still separate consoles. It'll be interesting to see.
Supposedly NX is the OS that all the devices will run under

Reactions: osaka35

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i expect supposed interested people to come whining when 'its way to expensive for a NINTENDO device'

Well, this time, the NX is supposed to be as powerful as PS4 and XBOX ONE is.
I don't know if as powerful as them, but the NX should be very powerful.
So, indeed, the price could raise compared to other nintendo console

Reactions: Deleted User

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your logic *slow claps* If that was the case the portable would have

TEGRA X1 PROCESSOR SPECIFICATIONS
TEGRA X1
GPU NVIDIA Maxwell 256-core GPU
DX-12, OpenGL 4.5, NVIDIA CUDA®, OpenGL ES 3.1, and AEP
CPU 8 CPU-core, 64-bit ARM® CPU
4x A57 2MB L2; 4x A53 512KB L2
VIDEO H.265, VP9 4K 60 fps Video
4k H.265, 4k VP9, 4k H.264
POWER 20 nm SOC - TSMC
Isolated Power Rails, Fourth-Generation Cluster Switching
DISPLAY 4K x 2K @60 Hz, 1080p @120 Hz
HDMI 2.0 60 fps, HDCP 2.2
- See more at: http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-x1-processor.html#sthash.1WWFLsVe.dpuf

dear god make it happen

Maybe that's why NVIDIA skipped the Shield Portable 2.

Reactions: Selim873

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe that's why NVIDIA skipped the Shield Portable 2.
Was the Nvidia X1 chip even speculated when the NX got leaked in the first place? I don't think it was THAT soonm. Unless Nintendo talked to Nvidia beforehand and knew the plans far before anyone else, since console developers always piece the specs together long before. If this SDK leaked somehow, would it be possible to find out how powerful it would be that way? I would be happy with either an ARM or x86 arch. Both are FAR superior to PPC.

Not to assume Nvidia is developing the console. It hasn't even been confirmed that AMD is developing it, has it?

Last edited by Selim873,

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was the Nvidia X1 chip even speculated when the NX got leaked in the first place? I don't think it was THAT soonm. Unless Nintendo talked to Nvidia beforehand and knew the plans far before anyone else, since console developers always piece the specs together long before. If this SDK leaked somehow, would it be possible to find out how powerful it would be that way? I would be happy with either an ARM or x86 arch. Both are FAR superior to PPC.

Nvidia has their always announce their future plans in their keynotes and conferences. For example their new architecture will be Pascal for 2016, and after that it will be Volta in 2018. When the Tegra 4 released, the public already knew there was a Tegra 5 (K1) and 6 (X1).

Reactions: Selim873

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nvidia has their always announce their future plans in their keynotes and conferences. For example their new architecture will be Pascal for 2016, and after that it will be Volta in 2018. When the Tegra 4 released, the public already knew there was a Tegra 5 (K1) and 6 (X1).
Okay, that clears things up quite a bit. The handheld with a Tegra X1 and the console with a chip similar to a 940m or 960m would be FANTASTIC!

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if nintendo takes a leaf out of sega's book.

Have the wiiu as the base. Buy an attachment for the gamepad to allow independent working abilities. Buy another attachment for he wiiu to beef up the graphics.

And maybe buy another attachment to allow virtual boy capabilities.

Of course all would be sold separately and released many months apart, each selling for 2/3 the price of a full console.

Oh and charge for online games.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First :P

Now that is pretty interesting. I wonder if the controller will also feature as the handheld NX? I just really hope that they actually use "industry leading" components. If that ever happens, this NX has my money(if I have any, that is)
Blue shell :P

I agree. I have been thinking about something like a handheld Wii u that looks like the gamepad but with large flash storage (50gb options to 500gb options?), a usb port, an sd card slot, and a little rectangle, that when pushed revealed an Amazon fire like device you plug into the tv and the gamepad transmits the screen that would normally show up when I regular Wii u was plugged in and the gamepad would revert to gamepad mode. It also came with a small peripheral usb disk drive that is capable of reading and verifying disks, then downloading them into the gamepad (online access needed for disks in order to verify they haven't been used yet, and when the game is deleted from the console the game will be removed from the database next time the gamepad connects to WiFi.). I thought of this since I usually play my Wii u games on the gamepad, not the tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte