Hacking Discussion Nintendo banning from CDN

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I was getting errors downloading from FreeShopNX I was still able to update my games without any issue, and I can still check for updates. hmm

That sounds more like something was wrong on your end because even the maintenance window was over many, many hours ago. Even during that time people could use CDNSP so long as they weren't using the public one.

Hadobedo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That sounds more like something was wrong on your end because even the maintenance window was over many, many hours ago. Even during that time people could use CDNSP so long as they weren't using the public one.
my internet is literally unusable sometimes (75kb/s max lol) so that's definitely a possibility haha

D

Deleted User

Well poop... I was using this as a way to recover my DLC and updates. Thank Donkey Kong I only used the desktop version and mac banned all my switches from the router.

klock

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by klock,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We can still install games, DLC, and game updates through SX OS, right?
Technically, it is through DevMenu and SX OS V1.3 on firmware 5.1. You can also use DevMenu in conjunction with the new signature patches alongside Hekate to do the same.

Last edited by Draxzelex, , Reason: Tinfoil does not support DLC or Updates

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone is mentioning cdnsp and FreeshopNX as ways to receive the super ban, but what about installed NSP games via Devmenu or partially installed nsp games via tinfoil? That tinfoil method was allowing me to archive games and download the rest from the system.
I've never used cdnsp or freeshopnx on my end. Not sure what that means for my cert and it's banworthyness.

NANASHI89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically, it is through DevMenu and SX OS V1.3 on firmware 5.1. You can also use Tinfoil in conjunction with the new signature patches alongside Hekate to do the same.
I'll stick with SX OS and Dev Menu.

Lucky me, I downloaded Hulu as a base for Dev Menu.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One law can easily be dismissed with another in court. That's how it works so yeah we're both making claims wich we can't proof so i rather leave it at that. I don't get why you keep going and want to win this argument when we're both no lawyers and this would keep going in circles. I am not gonna respond to this anymore. All i'm saying we're both no lawyers and laws can be dismissed by other laws so googling cerutain laws ain't gonna help. I rather leave it at this, i just gave my thought wich i don't claim to be 100 percent correct since i haven't studied law and order and you also didn't.

That is a dangerous line of thought to follow.

The whole point of most law in the western tradition is anybody can read it, contemplate it and debate it (see also "common law" and its history). We don't apply the same standards to computers, electronics, game design, philosophy or thousand other areas of discussion which you can go to universities in any developed country and spend years of your life being read a book at if you wished.

Americans occasionally have a problem as there are various laws/rulings where you don't have to claim to be a lawyer but actually have to actively disclaim yourself (the "I am not a lawyer" thing is actually a legal protection there), and if you are a lawyer you similarly may have to say "I am a lawyer but I am not your lawyer" lest someone take your ponderings as legal advice and get into trouble. With that in place though even they can join in the discussion.

Also if you had studied law you might have been asked the question "how many laws are there?", not necessarily for the direct answer but its implications. Also any US peeps in the audience, or those planning to visit there, which have never seen that video before then please absolutely do watch it (it is the "Don't Talk to the Police" lecture) as it may well spare you a lot of hassle some day, especially if you are going to continue moving in hacking circles. If you know nothing else of law then at least learn what that teaches.

Equally
One law can easily be dismissed with another in court. That's how it works
No.
Various legal systems will allow either precedent where earlier cases can inform how things are to play out or at least allow you to point at them and say "this is how they did it before, be kind of unfair to not do it again", or have fundamental aspects of law making (in the US this is the constitution and amendments to it) that may negate things, laws designed to clarify (and supersede) other laws, and in these instances contract law can/will come into play (I can write by reading this you owe me your (eventual) kids but any court would throw out such a clause in a heartbeat). All those concepts however don't render the possibility of some discussion irrelevant or pointlessly complex to even attempt.
A lot of those laws designed to supersede and clarify things, of which the field of intellectual property has been very active this last few decades, also aim to be the jumping off point for such laws. As such one can happily point at the DMCA (and its increasing list of exemptions) or the EUCD and be reasonably sure nothing else is going to jump out and surprise them.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That is a dangerous line of thought to follow.

The whole point of most law in the western tradition is anybody can read it, contemplate it and debate it (see also "common law" and its history). We don't apply the same standards to computers, electronics, game design, philosophy or thousand other areas of discussion which you can go to universities in any developed country and spend years of your life being read a book at if you wished.

Americans occasionally have a problem as there are various laws/rulings where you don't have to claim to be a lawyer but actually have to actively disclaim yourself (the "I am not a lawyer" thing is actually a legal protection there), and if you are a lawyer you similarly may have to say "I am a lawyer but I am not your lawyer" lest someone take your ponderings as legal advice and get into trouble. With that in place though even they can join in the discussion.

Also if you had studied law you might have been asked the question "how many laws are there?", not necessarily for the direct answer but its implications. Also any US peeps in the audience, or those planning to visit there, which have never seen that video before then please absolutely do watch it (it is the "Don't Talk to the Police" lecture) as it may well spare you a lot of hassle some day, especially if you are going to continue moving in hacking circles. If you know nothing else of law then at least learn what that teaches.

Equally

No.
Various legal systems will allow either precedent where earlier cases can inform how things are to play out or at least allow you to point at them and say "this is how they did it before, be kind of unfair to not do it again", or have fundamental aspects of law making (in the US this is the constitution and amendments to it) that may negate things, laws designed to clarify (and supersede) other laws, and in these instances contract law can/will come into play (I can write by reading this you owe me your (eventual) kids but any court would throw out such a clause in a heartbeat). All those concepts however don't render the possibility of some discussion irrelevant or pointlessly complex to even attempt.
A lot of those laws designed to supersede and clarify things, of which the field of intellectual property has been very active this last few decades, also aim to be the jumping off point for such laws. As such one can happily point at the DMCA (and its increasing list of exemptions) or the EUCD and be reasonably sure nothing else is going to jump out and surprise them.
Don't mean this in a bad way but halfway reading through i forgot what you said before. A bit 2 much to read. Again, don't mean it in a bad way

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Everyone is mentioning cdnsp and FreeshopNX as ways to receive the super ban, but what about installed NSP games via Devmenu or partially installed nsp games via tinfoil? That tinfoil method was allowing me to archive games and download the rest from the system.
I've never used cdnsp or freeshopnx on my end. Not sure what that means for my cert and it's banworthyness.
At this point, anything could happen, really.
Nintendo's got their knickers in a real tangle about this whole business, I wouldn't even be surprised if they decided to roll out full bans to anyone using homebrew in any degree.

Reactions: MattKimura

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We still need to get it cleared up what was bans, what was maintenance. I'm still not 100% on who, if any one, was banned and how severe the ban was or if the superban was confused with maintenance.

Some posts were in the middle of the emergency maintenance and some were hours after.

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where is this 90%? A few people are having an academic discussion about law as it pertains to all this (as far as I am concerned it has been done to death already but [current tech] in [current year] and being new enough for Nintendo means we'll allow it) and a couple of people made offhand remarks. I have not yet seen people even appear to want to take legal action.
Or is this like when people claim things are toxic or whatever and can't point to how they arrived at such a conclusion?

There have been threads wherein people get all flustered (witness the glory that was the 3ds banwave thread https://gbatemp.net/threads/update-regarding-the-recent-3ds-banwave.471781/ ) and then laughed at because of their... creative understanding of the law but this ain't that.
I did read 10 pages with like only 3 and half being about the actual bans and how they could have happened, the rest is just useless frivolities about the possibility of class actions, EU related rulings and suing them yourself. It seems like a complete waste of time since nobody is going to/can do it.
I understand people are mad with the bans but jeez... it is just the cat and mouse game again, we could be instead doing something more useful to the subject as indexing how many people here dled from the cdn and haven't been banned yet, who used shared certs, private cert, and so on.

Edit: DDoS....
qGk0Eqo.png

Last edited by Pachee,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway