Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Nintendo announce 3DS launch details!
February 26 in Japan, March worldwide
3DS-final.jpg

Nintendo has just announced the launch details and final features of the 3DS at its conference in Japan.

The Nintendo 3DS will launch in Japan on February 26, 2011 at a price of 25,000 yen ($US300). This is the same price the Wii launched at in Japan so expect it to be around the same price as the Wii was on launch in your country (Ouch!). It will launch in the rest of the world in March.

The design of the console has been locked in and is more-or-less exactly the same as the version shown at E3 with the exception of a different coloured d-pad. The system will launch in 'Aqua Blue' (the blue-black design shown at E3) and 'Cosmos Black' (straight black). It is a pity that the popular red-black 3DS seems nowhere to be found.

The 3DS will have a virtual console feature that will allow Gameboy & Gameboy Color games games to be played on the system. The 3DS will also feature Miis. The system will come the software 'Mii Studio' which will allow you to create Miis. It will even let you take a photo of yourself and automatically create a Mii for you.

The system will have a more robust wifi system, allowing you to share data through tag mode when the system is asleep even when the same game is not being played. The example given was that Super Street Fighter 3DS will automatically download ghost data and other records from passing 3DSs. The more games you play that support tag mode, the more data you will download from passing people. No information has been given as to the state of the online support on the system or whether friend codes will make a return or not, but the system will feature a internet browser of its own.

According the a rough translation of the spec sheet, you will be able to transfer DSiware from your DSi console to the 3DS. This is fantastic news for all those people who already own a DSi and would like to keep their DSiware with them on the 3DS. The sheet mentions that you will only be able to move software a limited amount of times and some software is not capable of being moved (DSi browser etc one would suspect).

Update: Originally sources said the 3DS's Virtual Console would feature Gameboy Advance games, this however has not been announced. It will feature Gameboy, Gameboy Color games and remade classics that will use the 3D aspect of the screen. There is no news on Gameboy Advance games sadly.

3DS-os.jpg

3dsside-1.jpg

3dsside-2.jpg

3DSmii.jpg

3DS-VC.jpg

Below is a video of the software line-up for the system. Games shown include: Kid Icarus, Paper Mario 3DS, Starfox 3DS, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Animal Crossing, Super Street Fighter 3DS, Dead or Alive and Resident Evil.

icon11.gif
 3DS minisite (Japanese)
icon11.gif
 3DS spec sheet (Japanese)

admotonic

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
May be a bit expensive but it still sounds like it will be worth the money can't wait for march now!
biggrin.gif

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Looking Great
smile.gif

GB/GBC/GBA Support is Awesome.
It would be more Awesome if you could backup your original GB/GBC/GBA games to the 3DS internal memory, so you don't have to buy those again,
but i doubt that, if it can print money, the will use that, so you prolly have to buy those games as VC back :/

Anyway, 3DS games, DS, DSi, GBA, GBC, GB, makes it a damned fine piece of handheld (But in the end we have to see how it does that all
biggrin.gif

EDIT:
I also like the option to take a picture of yourself and transform it into a Mii
smile.gif

mangaTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Awesome! What really amazes me the most is the VC.Hell I can play all those games(maybe not all) I missed before esp. gba(Golden Sun:LA)Though I have to say price kinda hurts but oh well still have time to save up for the handheld coupled with games since it's still months away but I'm kinda disappointed about that.

Say where is the power indicator,can't see it.Don't tell me it's still down there.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Let's just say Imma be epicly broke when this thing comes out...and my grades in school are probably gonna suffer....Things just get better and better. With the line up of games I may have a reason to buy games again (hence being broke)

sepinho

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
On the one hand, I'm a little sad that I'll have to wait till March, on the other hand, I'm darn glad I have a few months to recover financially and save for the 3DS. When do pre-orders start?

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rock Raiyu said:
I believe there won't be friend codes for 3DS games which is why there is Tag mode. That's what I read from one of the blogs anyway.
Tag mode is local wireless. And wifi is a whole nother animal.

Did they mention anything about backlit buttons, or was it found to be false.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
It's more expensive than I was expecting which kinda sucks. I know I'll pay it anyway though (and Nintendo rubs it's hands together with glee).

I'm really keen to learn about their online system. If it's friend codes again and not unified I will scream...

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Rock Raiyu said:
I believe there won't be friend codes for 3DS games which is why there is Tag mode. That's what I read from one of the blogs anyway.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was announced on the E3, too, although not on the main programme.

:3DSwub:

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
very nice, but I think that I'll stand by my decision to ignore the first revision of 3DS.

Also has anyone heard anything about what the battery is like? I'm pretty curious as to how they can afford to have always-on wifi...

Hyborix3

Gabi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I won't buy it till 2012 or so...

But when I do buy it, I'll just buy a game and the console and I'll wait

till someone manages to programme a supercard!

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nice, just enough time to gather my money together. I wonder if they'll allow video recording with the camera, as well as making it into 3D as well. If that can happen, I'm definitely going to give them 100% of my support
biggrin.gif

manaphy4ever

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Wow the operating system looking good cant wait for the 3ds and i hope its region free so i can import some games that not coming out in usa like inazuma eleven when it comes to 3ds

cant wait for it 3ds FTW!!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs