Nintendo announce 3DS launch details!

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Opium, Sep 29, 2010.

Sep 29, 2010
  1. Opium
    OP

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    Nintendo announce 3DS launch details!
    February 26 in Japan, March worldwide
    [​IMG]

Nintendo has just announced the launch details and final features of the 3DS at its conference in Japan.

The Nintendo 3DS will launch in Japan on February 26, 2011 at a price of 25,000 yen ($US300). This is the same price the Wii launched at in Japan so expect it to be around the same price as the Wii was on launch in your country (Ouch!). It will launch in the rest of the world in March.

The design of the console has been locked in and is more-or-less exactly the same as the version shown at E3 with the exception of a different coloured d-pad. The system will launch in 'Aqua Blue' (the blue-black design shown at E3) and 'Cosmos Black' (straight black). It is a pity that the popular red-black 3DS seems nowhere to be found.

The 3DS will have a virtual console feature that will allow Gameboy & Gameboy Color games games to be played on the system. The 3DS will also feature Miis. The system will come the software 'Mii Studio' which will allow you to create Miis. It will even let you take a photo of yourself and automatically create a Mii for you.

The system will have a more robust wifi system, allowing you to share data through tag mode when the system is asleep even when the same game is not being played. The example given was that Super Street Fighter 3DS will automatically download ghost data and other records from passing 3DSs. The more games you play that support tag mode, the more data you will download from passing people. No information has been given as to the state of the online support on the system or whether friend codes will make a return or not, but the system will feature a internet browser of its own.

According the a rough translation of the spec sheet, you will be able to transfer DSiware from your DSi console to the 3DS. This is fantastic news for all those people who already own a DSi and would like to keep their DSiware with them on the 3DS. The sheet mentions that you will only be able to move software a limited amount of times and some software is not capable of being moved (DSi browser etc one would suspect).

Update: Originally sources said the 3DS's Virtual Console would feature Gameboy Advance games, this however has not been announced. It will feature Gameboy, Gameboy Color games and remade classics that will use the 3D aspect of the screen. There is no news on Gameboy Advance games sadly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below is a video of the software line-up for the system. Games shown include: Kid Icarus, Paper Mario 3DS, Starfox 3DS, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Animal Crossing, Super Street Fighter 3DS, Dead or Alive and Resident Evil.

[​IMG] 3DS minisite (Japanese)
    [​IMG] 3DS spec sheet (Japanese)

2. admotonic

Member admotonic GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    May be a bit expensive but it still sounds like it will be worth the money can't wait for march now! [​IMG]

3. Jodyza

Newcomer Jodyza Member

Netherlands
    Cool! I can't wait 'till the release in March here! [​IMG]

4. Bluelaserman

Member Bluelaserman I shoot BLUE LASERS MAN!!!!

Australia
    Miis and GBA [​IMG] Its only the start [​IMG]

5. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    Looking Great [​IMG]

GB/GBC/GBA Support is Awesome.
    It would be more Awesome if you could backup your original GB/GBC/GBA games to the 3DS internal memory, so you don't have to buy those again,
    but i doubt that, if it can print money, the will use that, so you prolly have to buy those games as VC back :/

Anyway, 3DS games, DS, DSi, GBA, GBC, GB, makes it a damned fine piece of handheld (But in the end we have to see how it does that all [​IMG]

EDIT:
    I also like the option to take a picture of yourself and transform it into a Mii [​IMG]

6. mangaTom

Member mangaTom GBAtemp Fan

Philippines
    Awesome! What really amazes me the most is the VC.Hell I can play all those games(maybe not all) I missed before esp. gba(Golden Sun:LA)Though I have to say price kinda hurts but oh well still have time to save up for the handheld coupled with games since it's still months away but I'm kinda disappointed about that.

Say where is the power indicator,can't see it.Don't tell me it's still down there.

7. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    I believe there won't be friend codes for 3DS games which is why there is Tag mode. That's what I read from one of the blogs anyway.

8. JinTrigger

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    Let's just say Imma be epicly broke when this thing comes out...and my grades in school are probably gonna suffer....Things just get better and better. With the line up of games I may have a reason to buy games again (hence being broke)

9. sepinho

Member sepinho GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    On the one hand, I'm a little sad that I'll have to wait till March, on the other hand, I'm darn glad I have a few months to recover financially and save for the 3DS. When do pre-orders start?

10. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    Tag mode is local wireless. And wifi is a whole nother animal.

Did they mention anything about backlit buttons, or was it found to be false.

11. Hyborix3

Member Hyborix3 GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Man $300 augh..

I don't think my birthday money will not be that big. GAAAAAAAH

12. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    348,92$ in sweden......

13. Opium
    OP

Australia
    It's more expensive than I was expecting which kinda sucks. I know I'll pay it anyway though (and Nintendo rubs it's hands together with glee).

I'm really keen to learn about their online system. If it's friend codes again and not unified I will scream...

14. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was announced on the E3, too, although not on the main programme.

:3DSwub:

15. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    very nice, but I think that I'll stand by my decision to ignore the first revision of 3DS.

Also has anyone heard anything about what the battery is like? I'm pretty curious as to how they can afford to have always-on wifi...

16. Hyborix3

Member Hyborix3 GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    I won't buy it till 2012 or so...

But when I do buy it, I'll just buy a game and the console and I'll wait

till someone manages to programme a supercard!

17. Opium
    OP

Australia
    I've added a picture of the 3DS's operating system to the first post. Interesting design. Not bad.

18. ChaosBoi

Member ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

United States
    Nice, just enough time to gather my money together. I wonder if they'll allow video recording with the camera, as well as making it into 3D as well. If that can happen, I'm definitely going to give them 100% of my support [​IMG] .

19. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    More power, battery life, gyrosensor, TAG mode, 3D screens, analog stick = $300

I hope it's really worth it.
    ----

LOL at people who really believe it was going to be released in November.

20. manaphy4ever

Member manaphy4ever GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bahrain
    Wow the operating system looking good cant wait for the 3ds and i hope its region free so i can import some games that not coming out in usa like inazuma eleven when it comes to 3ds

cant wait for it 3ds FTW!!!!