Hardware Nintendo 3DS SD Memory Card Question

BitMasterPlus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a quick question and I hope I'm putting this in the right place, but how can I tell which save files on which games on my SD card for the 3DS? I plug it into my computer and look at the folders, but there's only a bunch of numbers for the save files and no names. Just wanted to know if there's a way to tell or not.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Get the id of the game(s) from http://www.3dsdb.com/
For example the US version of “Super Mario 3D Land” has the title id “0004000000054000“.

Go to SD:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/title/00040000/00054000/data

You will find a 00000001.sav inside this folder. This is the save data for Super Mario 3D Land. If you have custom firmware(or plan to install it) you can use Checkpoint and/or JKSM to backup your saves in decrypted form. This is a very good idea in any case.

Manual backup and restore of encrypted saves is only possible on the same console and on games that do not use Anti Savegame Restore.

:!: Experiments with saves of games that do use this “feature” may lead to loss of save data (games will delete their progress). Only correcting the secure value with a save manager can repair this and therefore CFW is necessary.

Edit: There might be extra data in SD:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/extdata
Edit2: You can easily find out if a game uses the anti save restore "feature". If the System Menu does not allow backups, the game uses it. Mario 3D Land does not use it – Pokemon does:

Mario1.png Mario2.png Pokemon.png

Of course this is not applicable on DSiWare and GBA games; they save on the internal NAND, not the SD.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: ThoD

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
All SD card contents inside ID1 (which is inside ID0 which is inside the "Nintendo 3DS" folder at the root of the SD card) are encrypted with a system-specific encryption key, so you can't really do anything with them such as telling what the contents are with only main exception being folders named after a title's low+high ID (such as those folders inside the "titles" folder which contain install data for games). To check what ID corresponds to what game, use this: http://www.3dsdb.com/

Examples for folders:
1 - "backup"→"00"→"0004000000086400" = 86400 low ID is European ACNL, 00 = just sorting from oldest to newest, backup = non-homebrew save backups
2 - "extdata"→"00000000"→"00000b1d" = b1d00 low ID is European Monster Hunter 3U (zeroes at end are discarded for extdata)
3 - "titles" is self explanatory, 40000=games, 4000e=updates, 4008c=dlc, 40002=special apps

EDIT: Ninjaed:ninja::glare:

Last edited by ThoD,
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

BitMasterPlus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help! I couldn't find the game I was looking for on that website, but I did find it on a pastebin doc I can show when I'm allowed to post it here.
Not sure if this could also be useful to anyone else.

Also, how do I open .sav files?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here's the file where I found the game I was looking for: https://pastebin.com/6Gzuf5xv

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help! I couldn't find the game I was looking for on that website, but I did find it on a pastebin doc I can show when I'm allowed to post it here.
Not sure if this could also be useful to anyone else.

Also, how do I open .sav files?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here's the file where I found the game I was looking for: https://pastebin.com/6Gzuf5xv
you cant they are encryped if you want to actually modify the save files you would need to install custom firmware and dumb the saves using a save manager such as checkpoint

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nobody is reading what you post.