What do you think about this "hack"?

• Total voters

Avc123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't they say they were providing the 3DS themselves?
Yep, ignore noobs spreading misinformation...

...really?

"We have gotten a price quote from a professional lab on the deal (removal, decap, delayer, SEM imaging) and it came out to $400 per layer of the chip, which they estimate will come to "about $2000 total". Plus the cost of the 3DS we will be donating for the hardware sample(s)"

"Kicking it around with other contributors on this site, we all agreed it would be interesting or valuable to us but $2000+ is simply a lot to ask of anyone to drop suddenly on a hobby project. Also $2000+ while a lot for an individual is a very achievable goal for a fund raising."

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
...really?

"We have gotten a price quote from a professional lab on the deal (removal, decap, delayer, SEM imaging) and it came out to $400 per layer of the chip, which they estimate will come to "about $2000 total". Plus the cost of the 3DS we will be donating for the hardware sample(s)"

"Kicking it around with other contributors on this site, we all agreed it would be interesting or valuable to us but $2000+ is simply a lot to ask of anyone to drop suddenly on a hobby project. Also $2000+ while a lot for an individual is a very achievable goal for a fund raising."

Reactions: porkiewpyne

Avc123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

"about $2000 total". Plus the cost of the 3DS we will be donating for the hardware sample(s)"
If they plan on donating the 3DS the word cost shouldn't be in the original statement.

If they were donating the 3DS the sentence should read: Plus the 3DS that we will be donating for the hardware sample(s)
However it doesn't, it in fact states the total is $2000 + the cost of the 3DS.

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

SifJar, you got it wrong. They need 2000 + some more for the 3DS.

They will be donating that same 3DS for decapping, not money for the 3DS or the system itself.

They can't donate to themselves...

"about $2000 total". Plus the cost of the 3DS we will be donating for the hardware sample(s)"
If they plan on donating the 3DS the word cost shouldn't be in the original statement.

If they were donating the 3DS the sentence should read: Plus the 3DS that we will be donating for the hardware sample(s)
However it doesn't, it in fact states the total is $2000 + the cost of the 3DS.

it wouldn't say "plus", too. Simply "We will be providing the 3DS".

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The wording is ambiguous for sure. I was merely highlighting the evidence for those saying the organizers of the fundraiser were covering the cost. Personally I'm not clear as to what is actually happening.

Reactions: Rydian

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The wording is ambiguous for sure. I was merely highlighting the evidence for those saying the organizers of the fundraiser were covering the cost. Personally I'm not clear as to what is actually happening.
Hmmm, is it really necessary to buy a whole new 3DS? Why not go on Ebay and buy a 3DS mainboard that is confirmed to work, or a broken 3DS that still has operation (but broken chasis, screen, etc) for a low price? We are just decapping the SoC...

Metab.

Check my signature for the latest news on the 3DS
Trophies
XP
Country
Only used by those pretentious kool kidz though. All other self respecting people avoid it like the plague, mate.

I use it sarcastically, much like my use of hashtags, but i suppose that isn't very obvious by how you read my text.

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Just to debunk this new claim that kept popping up:

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/User_talk:Yellows8#Fundraiser

Fundraiser

Hello Yellows8, I know you're not the one that is responsible for the chip decapping fundraiser, but I didn't manage to contact Jl12 via E-Mail (He's not responding). So, have you guys noticed that the donations hit the 2000$ last week? Will the decapping start anytime soon or do you need some more money for buying the 3DS itself? Best regards

Jl12 has had a broken 3DS for decapping before the fundraiser even started. And of course we noticed that, however since Jl12 is usually very busy it might be a while before he sends his 3DS for decapping. --Yellows8 00:26, 5 June 2013 (CEST)​

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
Just to debunk this new claim that kept popping up:

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/User_talk:Yellows8#Fundraiser

Fundraiser

Hello Yellows8, I know you're not the one that is responsible for the chip decapping fundraiser, but I didn't manage to contact Jl12 via E-Mail (He's not responding). So, have you guys noticed that the donations hit the 2000$ last week? Will the decapping start anytime soon or do you need some more money for buying the 3DS itself? Best regards

Jl12 has had a broken 3DS for decapping before the fundraiser even started. And of course we noticed that, however since Jl12 is usually very busy it might be a while before he sends his 3DS for decapping. --Yellows8 00:26, 5 June 2013 (CEST)​

I'll add that and the decapping thing to the main thread up top later now that it's underway and it IS a technical exploit-to-be...potentially.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1