Next Level Games is now exclusive to Nintendo.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's not, it's pretty good. The GC version might be better, but the 3DS version is by no means bad. Hell, it got better reviews than the GC original.

Then again, a launch title never receives the best reviews.

Luigi's Mansion is an interesting concept and game idea, but it is nowhere near as good as it is thought to be. I like the gameplay, but it does lack quite a few elements to make it even close to a timeless classic or essential buy for anyone interested in the Mario franchise.

As for the topic itself, I'll be waiting for the results before I give my opinion on the issue. The name of the developer is one thing, but the actual output of an acquisition is another. Hopefully the results should be visible in the next few years anyhow.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think getting Retro and Monolith as 2ndParties was great and these guys showed, especially with Luigis Mansion 2 (brilliant game!), that they are among the best developers Nintendo could work with...

I think either handing them out existing IPs or doing something new - their games will be very good. So Nintendo would be smart to have them on board. Also it seems like they maybe need some input from Nintendo employees to reach greatness, because Transformers and Captain America weren`t particularly good!

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think getting Retro and Monolith as 2ndParties was great and these guys showed, especially with Luigis Mansion 2 (brilliant game!), that they are among the best developers Nintendo could work with...

I think either handing them out existing IPs or doing something new - their games will be very good. So Nintendo would be smart to have them on board. Also it seems like they maybe need some input from Nintendo employees to reach greatness, because Transformers and Captain America weren`t particularly good!

While having not played either of those games you do have to wonder what budget and time was set aside to put those 2 games together.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's like Nintendo listened to all the people advising them to acquire outside talent but didn't want to step out too far from their comfort zone, so they just snatched the most "inside" outside team they could find.
Well, at least you're trying, Nintendo.
This. They want to report on anything but Xmas 2013 Wii U sales numbers.

On the topic of Next Level Games, though, I think Luigi's Mansion 2 is pretty fun.
LM2 is fun.
Bought it for xmas.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Was the hatred for Paper Mario initiated by Sticker Star, or was it just the series in general? Sticker Star is an insult to that series, just like Chrono Cross is an insult to Chrono Trigger. But the fact that Chrono Cross sucked doesn't take away from the grandeur that was Chrono Trigger.

If you actually read my post guy, it's clear I greatly prefer the previous games. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's an 'insult'. I just don't think it's nearly as good, it'd be better in other hands.
Also I didn't see anything wrong with Chrono Cross.

Reactions: gamefan5

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
It's like Nintendo listened to all the people advising them to acquire outside talent but didn't want to step out too far from their comfort zone, so they just snatched the most "inside" outside team they could find.

Exactly right. Nintendo focus too much on their own existing IPs and, while it might be smart to seal the deal to make third parties exclusively develop for you, anybody could make their Luigi's Mansion games if they're just following instructions. Nintendo need to try and convince third parties to create their own IPs exclusively for Nintendo consoles, so that there's more diversity in the line-up.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you actually read my post guy, it's clear I greatly prefer the previous games. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's an 'insult'. I just don't think it's nearly as good, it'd be better in other hands.
I didn't hear anything about you clearly liking the other three games. I saw this: (next line please)

As long as they stay away from Paper Mario from now on I'll be happy.
Does this mean you don't like Paper Mario? Or were you offended by one game in particular? And it would make you angry if they made a new one? But you said you liked the series; ugh, I'm so confused. Or maybe you're just afraid that if they do make a new one, it will turn out like Sticker Star. But you pointed out that: (next line again)
I do like Sticker Star, it's quite charming...but the gameplay was totally gutted and collecting stickers is extremely annoying.
This game was an example of taking a game that had largely been successful on home consoles and making another entry on a handheld. It did not turn out well because as a general rule, console games are normally superior than their handheld counterparts; there is more internal memory that lets console versions have way more content and subsequently be better than a handheld counterpart.
Also I didn't see anything wrong with Chrono Cross.
I've heard subjective views about games in general: some people like them; others don't. But read this and see if it's still okay. http://lparchive.org/Chrono-Cross/ Plus, the DS version of this is about the same, so if you liked this one, then you'll probably like the other DS one. I'll go on record and say I didn't like it.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't hear anything about you clearly liking the other three games. I saw this: (next line please)

Does this mean you don't like Paper Mario? Or were you offended by one game in particular? And it would make you angry if they made a new one? But you said you liked the series; ugh, I'm so confused. Or maybe you're just afraid that if they do make a new one, it will turn out like Sticker Star. But you pointed out that: (next line again)
I don't have the time nor the patience to teach reading comprehension (pretty much why i'm not a teacher).
If you want a summary though:
I love the series
I greatly enjoyed the first 3 titles
I still am enjoying the 3DS iteration but I think as far as paper mario is concerned, it was the wrong direction and needs to not continue in this form.

This game was an example of taking a game that had largely been successful on home consoles and making another entry on a handheld. It did not turn out well because as a general rule, console games are normally superior than their handheld counterparts; there is more internal memory that lets console versions have way more content and subsequently be better than a handheld counterpart.

I'm not sure how that's relevant, given paper mario 1 is an N64 game, 2 is a gamecube game and only 3 is a bit more capable because it was a wii game. The 3DS (while weak as shit by todays standards) is perfectly capable of creating a full console experience on par with the first two games at least, but i'm sure the third as well.

I've heard subjective views about games in general: some people like them; others don't. But read this and see if it's still okay. http://lparchive.org/Chrono-Cross/ Plus, the DS version of this is about the same, so if you liked this one, then you'll probably like the other DS one. I'll go on record and say I didn't like it.

That 'review' was actually one of the worst things i've ever read. Whoever wrote it should definitely stop doing reviews if they've done more, because they're clearly not cut out for it.
There's really nothing wrong with Chrono Cross. People just expected a 3D Chrono Trigger, and bitched indefinitely because that is NOT what CC is.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
People hate Chrono Cross? Is that a new fad?

It holds a 94 on Metacritic and overall it's one of the best RPGs for the PSX.

Why are we even talking about Chrono Cross in this thread?
They pretty much seem to hate it just because it's not Chrono Trigger.
Also, inb4metacriticdoesntmeananything;o;

Reactions: chavosaur

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, hi