Newest PS3 Update Potentially Bricks your console

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Considering that they will still sell new PSP's and then not make available any MS Pro Duos for storage purposes, it's certainly just one of many (underhanded) examples of their corporate behavior, all to try and get people to move on to the handheld nobody wants.

And since PS4 won't even be compatible with downloaded software for PS3, it figures they'd try something fishy to get people to be 'forced' to the next console somehow.

I've been dealing with their crap for years, and their little cupid stunts don't surprise me anymore. Appalled, but not surprised.

And like I said, you lost the right to say they're petty with the way you're behaving.

Reactions: Hikaru

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Considering that they will still sell new PSP's and then not make available any MS Pro Duos for storage purposes, it's certainly just one of many (underhanded) examples of their corporate behavior, all to try and get people to move on to the handheld nobody wants.

And since PS4 won't even be compatible with downloaded software for PS3, it figures they'd try something fishy to get people to be 'forced' to the next console somehow.

I've been dealing with their crap for years, and their little cupid stunts don't surprise me anymore. Appalled, but not surprised.
Are....are you serious? Maybe this is satire. Satire, right? You aren't this stupid?

Reactions: Rydian and Gahars

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

MS Pro Duos are still available at my local Gamestops and Walmarts and such, I don't know what you're talking about. Anyways, I doubt they'd stoop so low as to do something like that on purpose.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
MS Pro Duos are still available at my local Gamestops and Walmarts and such, I don't know what you're talking about. Anyways, I doubt they'd stoop so low as to do something like that on purpose.

Of course, this is the same Sony that had their top level tech support guys insist that the Android version of Music Unlimited didn't have an offline mode and was streaming only and thus always had to have a data connection to work. Not only that, but as their own app page on the google play store said so their response was "well that is a third party site and we have nothing to do with it".

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony is NOT microsaft
Yea, Sony had to be sued into even extending the PS2 warranty from 90 days to a full year. Paying full price to replace a broken console is not fun.

Microsoft went from 1 year to 3 for RRoD.

Nintendo's always offered at least one year, and a 90 day extension upon registering the console.

The worst Microsoft has ever directly done to any given user here (some exceptions notwithstanding) is dealing with BSOD's on their PC. Sony would gladly sell music CD's with rootkits built in and defend their decision by saying most people don't know what rootkits are, so why bother?. This is the same company that insisted there was no overheating problem with the PS1, despite the fact that they engineered their initial few runs of the PS1's CD-ROM drive to sit directly atop the main CPU, pretty much requiring most people I know to put theirs sideways or even upside down just so it'd be able to read a disc anymore. Or how the initial runs of the PStwo slim were given capacitors that fed the laser three times as much power as it was expecting. Sure, it was fixed within some internal revisions, but sucks for those that were affected (including my brother).

I only initially ever wanted a PSP for the homebrew. It took me as long as it did because as a homebrew machine, the asking price was outrageous until gamestop finally dropped the price on used and refurb models enough to go bite. And the price for even compatible memory stick media for the standard PSP is pretty damn outrageous, much less the M2 sticks that the Go's use... which upon visual inspection, look pretty damn alike to the Vita's proprietary memory card format.

After 3 PS1's, 3 PS2's, and currently on my 4th PS3 vs. one Xbox 360*... I'm more than a little cynical that this wasn't just some play on Sony's side of things. Or at best, someone in QA failing to do their job in testing something as critical as system firmware.

*Yea, I had one red ring, but that was a hard disk failure... the console still worked without it.

That is a surprise... Between two separate states on two separate time zones, I was always hard pressed to ever find even standard Pro Duo cards available, much less the M2's. And of course if you ever do find/need one, then you have to pay some arbitrary Sony tax.

Last time I broke down for one, a 16GB m2 was $30... compared to a sale at a then-local Best Buy having a 32GB 30MB/s microSDHC for $20, and its 64GB UHS-1 counterpart for $50 on newegg shell shocker, if memory serves correctly. :blink:

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Yea, Sony had to be sued into even extending the PS2 warranty from 90 days to a full year. Paying full price to replace a broken console is not fun.

Most consoles still don't break even within a year. Generally, any breaking a warranty will cover is likely to occur within the first 90 days. Not justifying the lack of warranty overall, but not that bad of a move, all in all, especially when considering that many people purchase extra store warranties.

Yes, after a lawsuit. They weren't going to do a damned thing about it before the suing started.

Nintendo's always offered at least one year, and a 90 day extension upon registering the console.

That is Nintendo's choice to offer the extra 90 days, and to be fair, it is only for Club Nintendo members. For most parts of the world, that extra 90 days is definitely a moot point. Otherwise the one year is very standard for a factory warranty.

The worst Microsoft has ever directly done to any given user here (some exceptions notwithstanding) is dealing with BSOD's on their PC. Sony would gladly sell music CD's with rootkits built in and defend their decision by saying most people don't know what rootkits are, so why bother?. This is the same company that insisted there was no overheating problem with the PS1, despite the fact that they engineered their initial few runs of the PS1's CD-ROM drive to sit directly atop the main CPU, pretty much requiring most people I know to put theirs sideways or even upside down just so it'd be able to read a disc anymore. Or how the initial runs of the PStwo slim were given capacitors that fed the laser three times as much power as it was expecting. Sure, it was fixed within some internal revisions, but sucks for those that were affected (including my brother).

Any problems with the PS1 can be blamed on it being their first run in the console world, and while using disc based media. Design flaws are not uncommon though. Most modern systems have suffered from one at one time or another (bad lasers, poor design leading to overheating, general non-lasting parts, etc.). Imperfect designs are far from purely a Sony problem. Quit nitpicking.

I only initially ever wanted a PSP for the homebrew. It took me as long as it did because as a homebrew machine, the asking price was outrageous until gamestop finally dropped the price on used and refurb models enough to go bite. And the price for even compatible memory stick media for the standard PSP is pretty damn outrageous, much less the M2 sticks that the Go's use... which upon visual inspection, look pretty damn alike to the Vita's proprietary memory card format.

Honestly, PSP memory sticks aren't expensive anymore, and haven't been for years. If you took a little time to use, I don't know, say, Amazon, memory sticks wouldn't be hard to find either. Even M2's aren't all that expensive anymore. When they came out though, of course they were expensive. Proprietary memory always is. Last I checked, system memory cards are still a rip off, yet people just accepted those. Why are these specific proprietary cards such an issue? As for the PSP price, oh no, it may have been kind of expensive. God forbid somebody price hardware in a way that they will take as small of a loss as possible, if not actually gain money on the sale. Those damned common business practices!

After 3 PS1's, 3 PS2's, and currently on my 4th PS3 vs. one Xbox 360*... I'm more than a little cynical that this wasn't just some play on Sony's side of things. Or at best, someone in QA failing to do their job in testing something as critical as system firmware.

Take better care of your systems? I mean, damn. My PS1 only ever broke through no fault of my own or Sony's (it was at a time when my mom babysat, and the PS1 took some abuse). My PS2 is closing in on its 10th year of working. The PS3 my family bought several years ago is still working perfectly for my brother, and my roommate who got his old 80GB PS3 secondhand from his brother hasn't had one issue with it. Sometimes you should probably just admit you're the problem.

*Yea, I had one red ring, but that was a hard disk failure... the console still worked without it.

Replies in the quotes because fuck breaking that down.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ouch!

The "quick brick" outdate....err....I mean update (yeah, UPdate) patch. Guaranteed to disable ALL trophies. Available for a limited time only.

Good material for all the haters to make jokes about, but c'mon now, even I don't think Sony did this on purpose, and I'm a cynical old bastard.

But I'll tell you what, that's why I quit buying consoles after the PS1. PS1 didn't need no stinking firmware updates that could possibly kill it.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Ouch!

The "quick brick" outdate....err....I mean update (yeah, UPdate) patch. Guaranteed to disable ALL trophies. Available for a limited time only.

Good material for all the haters to make jokes about, but c'mon now, even I don't think Sony did this on purpose, and I'm a cynical old bastard.

But I'll tell you what, that's why I quit buying consoles after the PS1. PS1 didn't need no stinking firmware updates that could possibly kill it.
Hey, neither did the sixth generation. :P

VampireLordAlucard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is a surprise... Between two separate states on two separate time zones, I was always hard pressed to ever find even standard Pro Duo cards available, much less the M2's. And of course if you ever do find/need one, then you have to pay some arbitrary Sony tax.

Last time I broke down for one, a 16GB m2 was $30... compared to a sale at a then-local Best Buy having a 32GB 30MB/s microSDHC for $20, and its 64GB UHS-1 counterpart for $50 on newegg shell shocker, if memory serves correctly. :blink:

Think that's bad? Until recently, my local Walmart still carried 8 MB PS2 memory cards.. and sold them for full MSRP of $19.99!

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

You do realize you're mixing in Sony's music division with their gaming division right? Same company, but entirely different rules and each generate different revenue. You're still being incredibly stupid.

Lestworth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You're one unlucky bastard I'll tell you that much. I have 1 PS1, 1 PS2 Slim (first year), 1 Ps3 slim (first year), recently replaced blueray drive for $30. Yet, I've had 4 Xbox360s and all 3 have red ringed, and the funny thing, that's the average # of xboxs between all users >.>.

Bobbybangin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luckily for me I've been on CFW since it the jailbreak was released. I wouldn't be mad if I had a slim or super slim but i have a BC console and would have been very upset if that was bricked. Just another reason to stick with CFW.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Two PS1s (a fat unmodified and a slim with modchip, looking forward to PSIO though), two PS2s (slim with modchip, fat with softmod that was heavily used before I got it, and yes I got the fat to use instead of the slim because of opl), two PS3 slims (one CFW, one legit) and they all work fine. One modified Xbox 1 that still works fine if I cared to dig it out and two Xbox 360's the first of which lasted 3 years and a month and the second one still works. One PSP 1000, one 2000, and one Go that all work fine as well.

Edit - oh, and a Wii that started on system menu 3.2 that I hacked with Twilight Hack and has been working perfectly ever since and is now on 4.2.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Reads about PS3s getting bricked*

Edit: Didn't even see the post about the safe mode and Sony getting their rears in gear about getting a quick fix until I woke up this morning, so, I'll be good.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
*Reads about PS3s getting bricked*

But surely, Sony would have some sort of quality assurance to prevent such asinine errors and--never mind, I was thinking of another company.

Assuming they bother to say anything and not brush it aside. But seriously, doesn't Sony have QA teams that ensure these things DON'T happen. If it affects millions of customers and Sony sits on their loathsome spotty behinds not doing a dang thing about it, the streets will run red with blood.
Reading the thread would do wonders for you. If you had, you would have read the thread that nukeboy linked to the post before yours and seen that the PS3 has an accessible safe mode that allows for manual firmware updates via removable media. That means Sony can release a fix that can be applied directly by the user without any need for Sony to be further involved. Great thing Sony thought about potential errors and included that safe mode. Oh, but wait, Sony is horrible so that safe mode must be a myth!

Seriously, some of you people need to take a course in yanking your head from your ass from time to time. It'd do wonders.

Reactions: gamefan5

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Hn-gx9VjRt8?t=153