GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
ok so can I update my ps3 or not? this is ridiculous
right now the ofw 4.45 was shut down, if you try to update it will say that you are in the last version, but if you never had swapped your hdd you should be safe, the update only bricked consoles with upgraded hdd.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
right now the ofw 4.45 was shut down, if you try to update it will say that you are in the last version, but if you never had swapped your hdd you should be safe, the update only bricked consoles with upgraded hdd.
Source, please? I've heard that this was a rumor at first, but eventually graduated to speculation. Has this actually been confirmed?

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Source, please? I've heard that this was a rumor at first, but eventually graduated to speculation. Has this actually been confirmed?

isn't officialy confirmed but here's the complete theory, from the topic on the official Playstation forums:
Nope. Same Exact Software on all versions of 4.45.. it's sorta like this (one possibility):
All but 2 80GB drives, all but 3 160GB drives, and all but 5 320GB drives have [TechnicalPartChipTypeA] as a part of them.
1 80GB drive, 2 160GB drives, 3 320GB drives, and All but 2 500GB Drives have [TechnicalPartChipTypeB] as a part of them.
1 80GB drive, 1 160GB drives, 2 320GB drives, 2 500GB drives, and All Larger Drives have [TechnicalPartChipTypeC] as a part of them.

Firmware 4.45 Can Identify TechnicalPartChipTypeA and TechnicalPartChipTypeB so it loads and runs fine.
Firmware 4.45 Cannot Identify TechnicalPartChipTypeC, so people with that part in their Hard Drives have the firmware not recognize the hard drive, keeps trying to identify it, sits on the swirly screen, and Bricks.

It's a driver thing.... it's why almost everyone with 1TB drives bricked, many 750GB drives did, a few 640s, 500s, and even a few 80s, 160s, and 250s did.. It's a part in the manufacture of those specific drives that are in bricked systems.. It's not a defective part, it's not a broken part...

..it's simply a compatibility issue between 4.45 and the specific hard drive in the system.

How do you fix this?

Make a 4.46 firmware that can identify everything 4.45 cannot.

...but first, Sony Engineers have to figure out what that common "unidentifiable" part is.. whether it's a chip on the drives, a certain pattern in their make, whatever.. once they figure that out, they can fix it.

EDIT: reading a little more I read a guy that say it has a 750gb drive and is fine.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/347448242654572544

4.45 was pulled, Sony is looking into what is wrong

I was referring to the speculation that it was caused by hdd swapping to larger ones. It's definitely more than a coincidence.

isn't officialy confirmed but here's the complete theory, from the topic on the official Playstation forums:
-snip-
EDIT: reading a little more I read a guy that say it has a 750gb drive and is fine.
Interesting. My PS3 shipped with a 160GB, but I swapped it out with a 320 GB that came from my other PS3. It's probably an understatement at this point, but it sounds like it's aftermarket internal hdds as opposed to the ones that PS3s ship with regardless of being swapped around. inb4 duh. Then again, my PS3 is Devin's old one and who know what sort of super-hackey-hocus-pocus he did to it before shipping it to me. :D

mkdms14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope they come up with a solution to fix this. Fortunately because of my job I have, I get home rather late. I then usually check IGN, gamespot, and gbatemp for news. After seeing the reports I decided it was best not to update. Although this is not looking too good for Sony right now. Xbox one no longer have its online or used game restrictions and now this happening to Sony. Looks like Sony is losing its lead, its back to how it use to be both Microsoft and Sony fighting to see who is top dog.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Knowing them, they would be that petty.

Talk about overdramatizing.

Because no other update has ever caused any console bricks of any kind, especially not on the Wii, XBox 360 and no doubt on other updatable systems.

Here's the thing - there are numerous revisions of the PS3 out there, they vary from region to region and some are no longer on the market - the more of'em out there the harder it is to test a firmware update. No doubt Sony will appropriately address the issue now that the update has been pulled off PSN.

In any case, with every updatable console there's a risk of bricking it - such is life.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
now I wonder which revs of PS3s were affected:

if phat = (samsung, others)
else earlier slims = different NAND/NOR (spansion/samsung)
or newer ultra slims = newer NOR chips(???)

if most bricks happened on a certain motherboard rev, they f*** up related memory chip/hdd chip handling

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would be awesome, but probably not gonna happen.
I think it's very possible to happen. That would be good PR. With a mishap like this, they will want to compensate users. The question is, how will they differentiate between users who got affected and those who weren't? That might mean a free game for everybody. Much easier for them and still even better PR. Win-win.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's very possible to happen. That would be good PR. With a mishap like this, they will want to compensate users. The question is, how will they differentiate between users who got affected and those who weren't? That might mean a free game for everybody. Much easier for them and still even better PR. Win-win.
I think that it's possible too. When the PSN was down for a while and accounts compromised, they gave away a free game to anyone that had created their account before a certain date. Even though I wasn't using the PSN feature at the time, I qualified for the free download because of the latter. I can see something similar this time; or I'm extremely optimistic.

Reactions: NariIro

NariIro

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that it's possible too. When the PSN was down for a while and accounts compromised, they gave away a free game to anyone that had created their account before a certain date. Even though I wasn't using the PSN feature at the time, I qualified for the free download because of the latter. I can see something similar this time; or I'm extremely optimistic.

From what I read, the consoles that were bricked were the ones that the Users updated the HDD, again just what I read, But the free game would be great, or even free PS+

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
Is this new new update safe? I just got the update message today. 4.4.6, the one anotherworld posted.

Motobug

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, it's safe for me. Just updated and I can get in and play games fine. Not sure if it'll unbrick though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Gy3BOmvLf2w?list=OLAK5uy_k27izUIERfT-RIE1qN1CHIOIkW4h5A9BY Play this song if...