Hacking Newbie questions

Jiro2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do PSP games force you to install new firmware to run the game? If so, what happens if you get a PSP game that forces you to install (for instance) firmware 6.40, and you have custom firmware 6.39? Also, what happens if you have 6.39 non-permanent, and you boot up without running Fast Recovery (so that you are on 6.39 Official), then you upgrade the 6.39 Official to a 6.40 Official?

How does CFW work with the online connectivity of the PSP? Is there any CFW which allows anything online to work at all and if so, what? And how do you enable it? If you have an iso of a game that works online, will the online functionality work?

I know that on the DS, images of games usually have to be patched for AP and this patching is usually done by the firmware of your flash cart, but it has to be done manually if the firmware isn't up to date. Do ISOs typically have to be patched for PSP and if so does the CFW do it for you? (I tried to google this and didn't find many references.)

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Games don't force you to update, they can't and will never force you.

Online is fine on recent CFW. Unless games require a online code to be entered when you bought the game (Phantasy Star Portable 2).

PSP CFW is nothing like DS 'CFW'.
Recent firmwares can play games fine without any patches. PSP games have little to none AP.
Only a small amount of games have some.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
No

You're on 6.40 OFW if you manually choose to install it.

PRO allows online, some games are fine, some require codes that you'd get with a legit purchase.

All based on the 5.xx required some form of patching process for some games. PRO plays everything clean kind of like the SC2 running everything.

Jiro2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, they don't force you to update, but are there games which do require new firmware and don't run if you keep the old firmware? (Assuming I'm installing 6.20 or 6.39, not 5.xx)

Also, where can I find a list of the rare few games that do have AP?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
There is only one game that requires 6.40 firmware and that's some Gundam Japanese game but that's playable on CFW as well.
When it comes to the PSP, you shouldn't be worried when it comes to a game being able to run or not (that's now the past (before 6.xx CFW came out))

The only games I can think of right now is Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep and Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble - but they work and do not require patching on 6.xx firmware

Actually, I haven't heard anything about Kenka but I'm assuming it works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-