Hacking newbie in the wii scene asks for a link to a tutorial. or explenaition

BMasterP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello, I installed the backup loader .3 gamma on a pal wii. used a dutch guide and everything works.

i got a few questions concerning this.

Why did i need to have a internet connection to download things(couldn't they put it on de files on de sd?) i also saw this on a thead in this forum.

is there a guide explaining the differences between all versions of the gamma loader and how the differences in ios works(specially concerning ios still don't get how this works i mean i installed it, but why choosing a specific ios?)

I tryed to play a ntsc game wario ware smoothy moves but it plays in black and white, when i try to force it ntsc pal or pal 60 it just gives me a green screen. i read somewhere that changing backup loader from wanikikos to wiigator or vice versa would work. BUT WHY? this is the part i can't figure out. i started modding since ps1 all the way trough the wii(they called me the xbox dokter where i live no credit to me though i just readed a lot of guides) and i just cant seem to grasp how it all works what about all the different versions of ios, what about the different backup loaders is there a more detailed guide that explains this instead of the how to install the softmod.
maybe i can be a asset to this community but not at the moment.

thanks

EDIT

I know my way around the pc and it's file systems very well, it has no secret for me(maybe exept for the real diehard programming) thats why the xbox was so easy, started modding it since the first chips (alladin etc) started softmodding understood everyting. I knew why i was doing what i had to do, in the wii's case it's a different story.

Damn even soldering a god damn ps2 was easyer than this.

digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OMG read the thread for newbies it links to guide and info. its stickied for a reason people.

Internet connection is because this forum doesn't allow us to distribute the needed files because they contain copyrighted code, so we just download and patch them automagically with our code
smile.gif

The IOS is what contains the software used to run games and read discs. gamma ios is custom made to enable backup playing.
Color issues on games means that the games video mode is not supported by your tv. try forcing it to your region or region patching it. if that doesn't work then your SOL.
The different backup loaders are from older version all the gamma channels are the same loader just different graphics. Like i said read the stickies, check out the faq and welcome to gbatemp

BMasterP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My tv does handel ntsc(got it fromn the early ps1 days).

i did read a the sticky's and faq's but i didn't find't any info concerning how the ios file system ( if it's a file system) works, only how to install everyting but not why. maybe i overlooked it?

Yes i overlooked it. I just saw it down your post(how obvious) Sorry but i've been searching an using keywords for 2 days now.

SORRY I'LL BE BaCK

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
BMasterP said:
My tv does handel ntsc(got it fromn the early ps1 days).

i did read a the sticky's and faq's but i didn't find't any info concerning how the ios file system ( if it's a file system) works, only how to install everyting but not why. maybe i overlooked it?

When your tv would handle ntsc video, you won't get black & white playback, except when you use rgb cables. About the IOS, your are right, the guides are ..., they don't explain anything.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ether2802 said:
Why do you want to explain IOS in a guide, they barely know how to press A...!!!
wtf.gif

This is exactly the problem, they don't know anything, because the guides don't tell anything. How should a noob get rid of the noob status if he follows guides?

PS: the risikimod is a good example for this, just step 1-40, no explantation AT ALL. And this when nearly every system file is replaced, where Gamma only requires to install 1(!) IOS additonally

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I actually was thinking of creating and make some MOD sticky it, a glosary, but I kind of lack of knowledge too and I definetly need the help of all the people in this, for example I think:

IOS = Internal Operative System

but after reading something on wiibrew.org I kind of got the idea of:

IOS = Input / Output System

and that is why I drop the idea of creating the "Hack Glosary"

digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i dunno if people read they can learn all they need to know. When i started on here in in october i knew NOTHING about wii hacking or the scene. I do agree that guides/tutorials need explanations about what the steps do and why though. it would probably cut the number of pages on guide threads in half, again assuming anyone took the time to read it all. Which we all know most dont
tongue.gif

D

Deleted User

Head over to my guide titled Homebrew Starter's Guide, it explains how IOSes work, in a nut-shelled way anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night