Hacking Newb Question: Working with 7z.001 files

vintage1977

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure I'm just missing something simple. Many sites with dowloadable ROMs for the Wii have some of the files (assume larger games) saved in 7z.001 format. However, there is no .002, .003 included in the download. Although I'm using 7zip to extract them, it's confusing the heck out of the one program that should certainly know how to handle them. Every time I try to extract a 7z.001 file, I get a message something like "Cannot extract as 7z archive. Unexpected end of data." I assume that the program sees a .001 and is looking for at least a .002. What gives? Do these sites only post the first file?

Regular 7z files are fine, but I've run into lots of 001 files and I'm not sure what to do with them, except - move on. What am I doing wrong?

vintage1977

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm.. but there's only one file, named 7z.001

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That's where I'm stuck. There's only one file but it's named as if it's part of a multi-file archive. I'll keep working at it.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah... I would like to know how to extract them too.
Are you by any chance... using a site that has Mania on it's website name?

This scenario reminds me of very early Wii backup loading... you had to download a ISO file in chunks, then, with a special software you had to "paste together" those chunks in order to create one single ISO file, then convert that ISO to WBFS and then, format your USB to WBFS and only then your Wii would load a backup...
Ah... Nostalgia!

On the topic: I believe these 7z.001 are torrents.
Fucking hate torrents.

Reactions: StrayGuitarist

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
7z.XXX files are multipart archives in 7z format, where the first and second 'X' represent a digit from 0-9 and the third represent only a digit from 1-9.

To be able to extract them, you must have the whole pack (i.e., all the parts), then select the first one (<filename>.7z.001) and using the "right click" on your mouse, open the right-click menu and select as desired, to extract them on the current directory/folder, on a specific directory/folder or on directory/folder created using the file's name as its folder name.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure I'm just missing something simple. Many sites with dowloadable ROMs for the Wii have some of the files (assume larger games) saved in 7z.001 format. However, there is no .002, .003 included in the download. Although I'm using 7zip to extract them, it's confusing the heck out of the one program that should certainly know how to handle them. Every time I try to extract a 7z.001 file, I get a message something like "Cannot extract as 7z archive. Unexpected end of data." I assume that the program sees a .001 and is looking for at least a .002. What gives? Do these sites only post the first file?

Regular 7z files are fine, but I've run into lots of 001 files and I'm not sure what to do with them, except - move on. What am I doing wrong?

What's the other program? Jdownloader2? Did you update the 7zip jar?

Do you open these in 7zip file manager? Does it tell you anything about the length of the archive?

vintage1977

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the other program? Jdownloader2? Did you update the 7zip jar?

Sorry, I meant that it was confusing 7zip. Truly, I think that most sites just don't have the full archive for many of these games. I did find what I was looking for on another site that provides the full files. Takes way longer, but seems to do the trick.

Reactions: OrGoN3

Raamiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry, I meant that it was confusing 7zip. Truly, I think that most sites just don't have the full archive for many of these games. I did find what I was looking for on another site that provides the full files. Takes way longer, but seems to do the trick.
whats the websites name?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1