Homebrew newb question re: Chrono Trigger

coredumperror

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all! I'm brand spanking new to the world of DS emulation, so I'm kind of in over my head trying to get Chrono Trigger to work. What I want to do is play the rom I got of Chrono Trigger DS (U) on my Windows 7 PC (I don't have an actual DS).

I've got the game running OK in DeSmuME.0.9.4-win32, but it slows down a lot, which messes up the music and ruins the game for me. I haven't gotten far enough into the game to run into the anti-piracy freezing I've been reading about, but I've found the codes that apparently let you bypass them. However, I have no idea how to apply them. I've also tried playing the game in ensata and NO$GBA, but it doesn't seem to work in those.

I'm wondering if it's even worth going through all this trouble to play the DS version of Chrono Trigger, when I could just play the SNES version in another emulator. Does anyone who has experience with both consider the DS version to be superior enough it be worth playing over the SNES version?

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give!

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
coredumperror said:
Hi all! I'm brand spanking new to the world of DS emulation, so I'm kind of in over my head trying to get Chrono Trigger to work. What I want to do is play the rom I got of Chrono Trigger DS (U) on my Windows 7 PC (I don't have an actual DS).

I've got the game running OK in DeSmuME.0.9.4-win32, but it slows down a lot, which messes up the music and ruins the game for me. I haven't gotten far enough into the game to run into the anti-piracy freezing I've been reading about, but I've found the codes that apparently let you bypass them. However, I have no idea how to apply them. I've also tried playing the game in ensata and NO$GBA, but it doesn't seem to work in those.

I'm wondering if it's even worth going through all this trouble to play the DS version of Chrono Trigger, when I could just play the SNES version in another emulator. Does anyone who has experience with both consider the DS version to be superior enough it be worth playing over the SNES version?

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give!
I think the DS has an extra dungeon added, and touch support, but I think that's the only difference.

And maybe updated sound.... I dunno.

Prime_Zero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Id suggest just playing it on the snes emulator instead, cause it would run better and probably be funner. The ds verson just had touch screen options and a new dungeon and town thats about it. Ds emulators don't run all that good to boot you might have to do some adjusting with the settings on the snes emulator though or not just depends.

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Prime_Zero said:
Id suggest just playing it on the snes emulator instead, cause it would run better and probably be funner. The ds verson just had touch screen options and a new dungeon and town thats about it. Ds emulators don't run all that good to boot you might have to do some adjusting with the settings on the snes emulator though or not just depends.
What he said.

Buuuuuttttt.... That new dungeon and town is tempting.

Shadow&Light

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inunah said:
Prime_Zero said:
What he said.

Buuuuuttttt.... That new dungeon and town is tempting.

What about (GIANT SPOILER) the ending of the Devourer of Dreams?
and a "new" ending lol(also has more weapons/accesories)

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Umm people, there are FOUR new dungeons, not one. Also a creature-raising and battling mode, more items, more enemies, new ending, an extra option that lists everything in the game as you encounter it (bestiary-style).

Sh!fT_23

Trophies
XP
Country
injected11 said:
Umm people, there are FOUR new dungeons, not one. Also a creature-raising and battling mode, more items, more enemies, new ending, an extra option that lists everything in the game as you encounter it (bestiary-style).
^ What he said lol. Get a DS, then 'purchase' the game. More fun then emu????

coredumperror

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
injected11 said:
OK, that is pretty darn tempting. Is there a particular emulator that works best for Chrono Trigger? I'm probably just setting my expectations too high, considering that DeSmuME.0.9.4-win32 does at least run the game. But I'd really like to have it not slowing down the game every few seconds. Maybe I just need to fiddle with the settings?

Also, how do I apply the anti-piracy cheat codes?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The DS version was retranslated, so a lot of the stupid jokes are gone and it's more true to the original text (like "jurassic pork soup" is now back to being some type of beer).

Normally I'm not one of those "Oh god must have original!", but really, the new translation's better. It's more "real" and flows better.

Also on the DS you can have the battle dialogs and menus and stats on the lower screen so they're not getting in the way like they did originally.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS version is probably the "superior" version, but perhaps not when you're playing on a PC. Use a decent SNES emulator for the best experience on a larger screen, you should be able to get them to work pretty well on your PC, ZSNES will work perfectly even on a slower PC, with filters.

If you're insistent on running the DS version though, it seems to work fine on desmume with a dual core PC around 3ghz. I've got the game running really well on an Athlon II x2 3ghz personally. One thing you should try though is to download version 0.9.5. You're an entire version behind, it may give you some better speed- http://desmume.org/

Also, you could try a SVN compile of betas for 0.9.6 if you want to- http://www.emucr.com/search/label/NDS/

At any rate, test them to see if they improve the speed. I'm using a 64bit version though. Not sure how much faster it is than 32bit. I assume you have a good reason for opting for 32bit as opposed to 64bit? As in your OS is 32bit. You really do seem to need around a 3ghz PC to get the optimal speeds though for all games. Chrono Trigger is pretty fast for me, never seems to really slow down at all anywhere.

coredumperror

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
The DS version is probably the "superior" version, but perhaps not when you're playing on a PC. Use a decent SNES emulator for the best experience on a larger screen, you should be able to get them to work pretty well on your PC, ZSNES will work perfectly even on a slower PC, with filters.

If you're insistent on running the DS version though, it seems to work fine on desmume with a dual core PC around 3ghz. I've got the game running really well on an Athlon II x2 3ghz personally. One thing you should try though is to download version 0.9.5. You're an entire version behind, it may give you some better speed- http://desmume.org/

Also, you could try a SVN compile of betas for 0.9.6 if you want to- http://www.emucr.com/search/label/NDS/

At any rate, test them to see if they improve the speed. I'm using a 64bit version though. Not sure how much faster it is than 32bit. I assume you have a good reason for opting for 32bit as opposed to 64bit? As in your OS is 32bit. You really do seem to need around a 3ghz PC to get the optimal speeds though for all games. Chrono Trigger is pretty fast for me, never seems to really slow down at all anywhere.
Actually, the only reason I have the 32-bit one is because that was the only version I found while looking for emulators. I have an overclocked 1.87ghz Intel Core II Duo (my machine is almost 4 years old. dang I didn't realize that, heh), and I'm running 64bit Windows 7. So, I'll go find the 64-bit version of desmume.

BTW, will I need those anti-piracy cheats if I'm playing on PC? If so, how do I apply cheats in desmume?

EDIT: Wow, this new version of DeSmuME makes the game run almost flawlessly! Thanks for the advice, granville! I also got past the first teleporter scene, which is apparently supposed to just lock up if the cheats aren't active, so maybe the emulator gets passed it for me.

Thanks for the advice folks, I'm off to play Chrono Trigger DS!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @K3Nv2 you should get VR then