• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

New York Times standing with writer after her racist tweets come up

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Jordan Peterson is a climate change denier, believes that masculinity is under attack, that environmentalism is a danger to the development of young minds and that political correctness is basically what's wrong with the world today.
He'd have to tattoo a swastika on his forehead to make it any clearer on what side of the political spectrum and ideology he's operating.
And I'd certainly be careful when someone so far on the right is arguing that its simply nature that the black man is inherently inferior to the white man.

And you make it sound like adam, the host of a tv show, is the sole source of all what's being presented on that show, when they go to experts to collect their points, consume literature, also written by experts and then convey that in laymans terms. Of course the show can't go as in-depth as a 200 page metastudy and obviously you can find a counterstudy to literally anything anyone ever found in any scientific study, but they're not making stuff up. the studies exist, they add the sources, they even go back to interview some of the experts lateron for a slightly more in-depth perspective than possible in a 20 minute show with comedy skits

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
The Reichstag convenes in Berlin. (1939, colourized)
we must secure the existence of our memes and a future for frog children.jpg

Reactions: Subtle Demise

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jordan Peterson is a climate change denier, believes that masculinity is under attack, that environmentalism is a danger to the development of young minds and that political correctness is basically what's wrong with the world today.
Citation very much needed there.

I have my issues with the guy (a lot of his religious stuff for one, and the extent of his desired actions from governmental type bodies and those of similar potency for another) but I have yet to see the climate thing. I would like to believe it would have crossed my radar as well as I do seem to consume a fair amount of rebuttal and counter rebuttal material concerning him and that would trouble a lot of people that variously boost him or be a boon to those which try to take him down. I have been doing other things this last month so is it particularly new or something? Going further while it would be incredibly unfortunate it would not serve to terribly undermine some of his other points, and also there is a line of thought that says if they are not themselves in the field that they get to be ignored (nobody cares if a protein biologist is a flat earther sort of thing).
Masculinity is under attack by a significant group, how much threat they pose for that as a general concept I am unsure (individuals on the other hand may be considerably more troubled) but it is a big talking point of them (see also toxic masculinity) as well as something they seek to address in education, social pressure and other such means. Similarly I would say a lot of what falls under the banner of political correctness poses a considerable threat to the world today, right now seeing what I would term a broad assault on free speech from those that would claim political correctness as a core tenet of their approach to the world.

As far as genetic populations and intelligence goes. As far as we can tell there are massive genetic factors in intelligence (adoption studies being a good start) and if you provide a stable home life* then it starts to play an even greater role. Environmental pressures have seen any number of traits diminished, enhanced, selected and such (height, weight, musculature, distribution of fat, oxygenation of blood**, skin colour, tolerance of local flora and fauna, tolerance of local diseases, tolerance of food shortages (see something like you are what your grandma ate, or the studies from northern Norway for a slightly different twist) and this could go on for a while) and so it stands to reason that intelligence could be selected for or against.
*itself far from assured in various groups.
**there is a reason a lot of runners of various types, though particularly distance ones, come from a tribe that was shoved high up a mountain quite some time in the past.
None of that however precludes someone of any given genetic population from being intelligent (for all else there is involved individuals can randomly pop up). To that end my meeting a man on the street test and all that follows from that is still in play. To take it back to the Peterson fellow from what I have seen I would say he is staunchly individualist, one of his great bugbears being identitarianism and collectivism (and I would agree to a statement of fuck both those things), and it would also fit with what I have heard from him.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shouldn't "reverse racism" be if you actually like another race that isn't your own more than others, kind of how I feel about Japanese people.

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
Shouldn't "reverse racism" be if you actually like another race that isn't your own more than others, kind of how I feel about Japanese people.
My first thought would be discriminating against one's own race on the grounds that one believes it is inherently inferior. Some kind of pathological self deprecation.

Reactions: Glyptofane

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Oh come on, you can get to South Korea right now, and the first female you see will look a lot better than her. :P
Since the joke went right over your head (you're only quoting half, which misses it), I'll repost the ACTUAL joke, and then let you in on a dirty little secret.

She: "Oh man it's kind of sick how much joy I get out of being cruel to old white men."
Me: "So, erm...is she still single? I'll dye my hair grey if that improves my chances. :blush:"

As to the why:
I prefer sadistic women over regular ones. That's just my preference. :)

I would've thought the latter was pretty clear by the context, but apparently not. :)

/off-topic

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@