Wannabe Artist
OP
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
I recently started using GIMP and decided to make a signature. I left the space to the left open for text, not sure what to add though. Tell me what you think.
carnage.png

wolverinen.png

ironman.png

iceman.png

Not sure if you've noticed but, I like Marvel.
smile.gif

AP Hacker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your new to GIMP and you made that? Very nice. Im not sure what else you should add though, but for the text you may want to use black and white.

If you have any interest in helping do some artwork (buttons like "new game"/"load game", background for menus) for my games ( I make FPS games, check out my signature for details), drop me a PM and we can talk. Your skills would be a great asset.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice job! I'd say that's a pretty good job, with just being a beginner. You should see what I made when I was a beginner....on second thought, don't. I'd say I'm pretty good, too, although, there are people WAY better than me.

http://gbatemp.net/u145091-megaace

there are more, but this is all I can think of right now
unsure.gif

=EDIT=
If that picture wasn't a render you found floating around, I need help with transparencies
smileipb2.png

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Pretty good starting out with GIMP.. I use Photoshop however but GIMP still makes good sigs and editing features.

You can watch YouTube videos with tutorials! I learned all my skills there, and googling tutorials, too will help.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
OP
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
AP Hacker said:
Your new to GIMP and you made that? Very nice. Im not sure what else you should add though, but for the text you may want to use black and white.

If you have any interest in helping do some artwork (buttons like "new game"/"load game", background for menus) for my games ( I make FPS games, check out my signature for details), drop me a PM and we can talk. Your skills would be a great asset.

I'll think about it because I'm still getting used to GIMP. It's a lot different from Photoshop, but once I get the hang of it, I'll send you a PM.
smile.gif

Scott-105 said:
Wow man! That's excellent! I wish I was that good. I fail with GIMP.

All you need it to look at a few tutorials and learn some tricks. You'll be good in no time.

Hikaru said:
Nice job! I'd say that's a pretty good job, with just being a beginner. You should see what I made when I was a beginner....on second thought, don't. I'd say I'm pretty good, too, although, there are people WAY better than me.

http://gbatemp.net/u145091-megaace

there are more, but this is all I can think of right now
unsure.gif

=EDIT=
If that picture wasn't a render you found floating around, I need help with transparencies
smileipb2.png

Oh man, those Kirby sigs are insane! I love them so much. Oh and the picture was a render. I haven't figured out how to remove backgrounds easily in GIMP.

Infinite Zero
Pretty good starting out with GIMP.. I use Photoshop however but GIMP still makes good sigs and editing features.

You can watch YouTube videos with tutorials! I learned all my skills there, and googling tutorials, too will help.

I used to use Photoshop, it's very powerful with the things you can create. GIMP, however, it also a great program to use, especially since it's free. I'll definitely be checking out more tutorials to learn more things.

AP Hacker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, sounds good. I used to know a good trick for getting rid of backgrounds really easily but I don't use GIMP much anymore so I seem to have forgot... You could set the background setting to transparent though.

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
arpeejajo said:
I haven't figured out how to remove backgrounds easily in GIMP.

For single coloured backgrounds just use the magic brush and vary the threshold depending on how many different shades/tones there are.
For multicoloured backgrounds just use the paths (b) to cut out the image or background.

After that the image you're left with may look a bit choppy. Just duplicate the layer (right hand click on the layer > Duplicate) and perform a Gaussian blur (Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur) on the lower one then merge them down (right hand click > merge down).

Hope this helps!

AP Hacker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
arpeejajo said:
AP Hacker, what kind of button are you looking for? If you give me a rough idea, I'll see what I can come up with and I'll PM you the result.

I'm looking for buttons like "New game", "load game", "exit game", and I am also looking for headers that are similar to the buttons but are things like "loading" and "game over", "mission complete".

If you look at the thread in my signature, on either the 3rd ,4th or 5th page someone made me a boxart, if you could follow that theme that would be great.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
OP
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
sprogurt said:
arpeejajo said:
I haven't figured out how to remove backgrounds easily in GIMP.

For single coloured backgrounds just use the magic brush and vary the threshold depending on how many different shades/tones there are.
For multicoloured backgrounds just use the paths (b) to cut out the image or background.

After that the image you're left with may look a bit choppy. Just duplicate the layer (right hand click on the layer > Duplicate) and perform a Gaussian blur (Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur) on the lower one then merge them down (right hand click > merge down).

Hope this helps!

I have trouble using that damn wand.
mad.gif

AP Hacker
I'm looking for buttons like "New game", "load game", "exit game", and I am also looking for headers that are similar to the buttons but are things like "loading" and "game over", "mission complete".

If you look at the thread in my signature, on either the 3rd ,4th or 5th page someone made me a boxart, if you could follow that theme that would be great.

Alright, I'll see what I can do.

Another one added to the collection.

ironman.png

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
Hikaru said:
I tried using the magic wand, but it just refuses to work
unsure.gif

QUOTE(arpeejajo @ Nov 3 2010, 05:17 PM) I have trouble using that damn wand.
mad.gif

Here's a tutorial, I used this image because of the wind swept effect coming of the hyrule emblem would be hard to cut around.

threshold1.jpg

This is the default mode and size the magic wand is set at.

threshold2.jpg

As you can see there's too much black surrounding the image.

threshold3.jpg

Now that I've raised the threshold of the magic wand it has taken more of the black away, unfortunately it has also take parts of the image away and still contains the slightest black around the outside.

threshold4.jpg

I now had the original image beneath the edited layer and the edit layer had the opaicty lowered to see where i need to cut.
For this image 60.0 has removed the black around the outside fine, the only problem is now we have to edit parts of the emblem that were cut out back in.

threshold5.jpg

For the first try i used the magic wand tool and multiselect mode but it was too time consuming so i moved on to something else.

threshold6.jpg

As you can see using the paths tool you don't have to be neat if you're replacing parts of images.

threshold7.jpg

Just hit selection from path, cut it from the original image and place it onto a new layer above the edited image.

threshold8.jpg

As you can see there is still a few bits that need dealing with so I edited them with both the magic wand and the paths tool.

threshold9.jpg

Finished! It's not normally a good idea to remove a dark background for a image that's been specially designed for it, I decided to use this though just because it would of been more difficult to cut it out.

Hope this helps! ^.^

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
sprogurt said:
Here's a tutorial, I used this image because of the wind swept effect coming of the hyrule emblem would be hard to cut around.
*tutorial*
Hope this helps! ^.^
xD I would have tried just cutting out the emblem and then use the original layer with multiply or whatever that layer setting was that can show the background through black.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
KingdomBlade said:
I'm very jealous. I've been fiddling around with editing in GIMP and PS but I still suck at it hard. Wish I could make anything decent. Love your sigs.
smile.gif
Since when did you start using both?
tongue.gif
You should focus on just one program so you can master it.. I've started using Photoshop CS4 December last year then converted to CS5 because of the Refine Edge which is amazing.. Just have passion on it and less than a year, you'll be semi-pro in no time
biggrin.gif

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
jurassicplayer said:
sprogurt said:
*tutorial*
Hope this helps! ^.^
xD I would have tried just cutting out the emblem and then use the original layer with multiply or whatever that layer setting was that can show the background through black.

XD would of been so much easier but much of the emblem contained black and it looks like it had a windswept effect that had a Gaussain blur used over it so it faded out to a dark blue >.

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: and now with the rtx video upscaling, and sdr->hdr conversion, even more reason to go nvidia